VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Carburator Setting?

LittleDoheny
    LittleDoheny

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2014-05-04

Carburator Setting? Empty Carburator Setting?

Post by LittleDoheny Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:53 pm

Hello, Long time, I am sure the setting on my carburetor is not right. I turned it serveral times different ways, can anyone tell me how to set this right?

When you turn it " in" what does it do?

When you turn it "out" what does it do?

Thats everyone

B.
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Carburator Setting? Empty Re: Carburator Setting?

Post by Vantasia Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:33 am

The screw is the idle mix, turn out and then in until it just chokes and stalls and then turn out until it runs smooth., about 2-1/2 turns to start is usually a good starting point...assuming your points,  timing and idle rpm are all set correctly and the idle screw tip and seat are in good shape and not worn out...it all works together in a way.  Also check fuel line for rust particles, disconnect and flush the line into an empty water bottle by turning engine over a few times....There is no main jet adjustment, the screw is only the low speed idle mix...problem is old worn carbs leak air and fuel all over the place, externally and internally, passages get clogged, even a fresh rebuild sometimes doesn't preform good...other problem is today's gas, lower octane and full of booze, these carbs weren't designed for it....

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:45 am