VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

key on electrical power systems ?

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

key on electrical power systems ? Empty key on electrical power systems ?

Post by rustytoolss Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:22 pm

Where or how , have you guys tied into your wiring systems to run additional " Key ON " extra things ? I need "key ON " power to several items (Tach, AC, radio, equalizer, etc) . Is is safe to run it all off one lead from the factory fuse box ?
    How have you added extra item, that need a " Key On" power source ?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

key on electrical power systems ? Empty Re: key on electrical power systems ?

Post by donivan65 Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Rather than run all that amperage through the ignition switch, you could put in a headlight relay   that has 12 volts to it all the time, add a universal fuse box and have the ignition switch turn on the relay and all the equipment,,,,,,

key on electrical power systems ? New_bo11
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:23 am

Yep that is what i did

Post by rustytoolss Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:22 am

donivan65 wrote:Rather than run all that amperage through the ignition switch, you could put in a headlight relay   that has 12 volts to it all the time, add a universal fuse box and have the ignition switch turn on the relay and all the equipment,,,,,,

That sounds like a good system. Not to sound like a complete idiot. Could you draw up a simple wiring diagram to help a guy in doing this ??

key on electrical power systems ? New_bo11
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:41 pm

Here is the basics,,,,,,the key needs to turn on the relay,,,,,,,and you could grab that signal off the old fuse box,,,,,,the relay needs 12 volts,,,,,,you can grab that off your ammeter,,,,,then when the relay turns on, it sends juice to the new fuse box and to whatever you got plugged into it,,,,,

key on electrical power systems ? Dscn5720
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:23 pm

Thanks, I work better with visual information, then when I try things on my own, sometimes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 10:15 pm