VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
tower9
Twinpilot001
Joe Van
docmcg
8 posters

Weak leaf springs

docmcg
    docmcg

Number of posts : 205
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Weak leaf springs Empty Weak leaf springs

Post by docmcg Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:09 pm

Thought just occurred to me that my 49 year old springs have had it. Removed and cleaned up and painted all the suspension, front and rear, and the truck sits about 1" lower on the driver side. Maybe I should replace all the springs? Does anyone have a favorite place to get these? I'd like to replace all of them. On a side note, I had a guy today suggest air bags to level the truck. I liked the idea, but I'd still have 49 year old springs. Airlift offers bags for lowered trucks that looked like they would be just right size wise, but again, 49 year old springs. What would you guys do? Who has the best price on new springs?
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Weak leaf springs Empty Re: Weak leaf springs

Post by Joe Van Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:55 pm

After having my Front springs re-arched 2 years ago its sagging on the right front..I have been looking for a add a leaf kit to level it off but with my GM 2 inch wide springs up front Tough Country,or Sky Jacker, Does not make a spring kit that narrow so its off to the local spring shop to have them build me a "New Set"....I think that is the best way to go unless you get lucky and find a New set..!!!..JMO.. Smile

Post by docmcg Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:47 pm

There's an alignment shop local that can make a set of springs for me, but I fear the cost, considering it's just a local shop. I'm going to check with them though, just to see if I can get "a deal". I'm still interested in the air bag idea too.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:36 am

Correct me if I am wrong Guys but you will spend the same amount for the airbags and the compressor as you would if you had the springs replaced/rebuilt... I was told $350,00 for both front with a 2 inch lift over stock U bolts and all...

Post by docmcg Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:00 am

I won't have mine re-arched. You're still dealing with 49 year old fatigued metal. I'll either replace them or do air bags.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:01 pm

Rearching springs =IS NOT!! the way to do !! Wont hold up -its the cheapo way out! Get new ones like u want (ride Height) & be much Happier!! Never know when a rearched one will break / crack or  level out!!
    Remember those springs -ARE!! the basis for ride & safety!! cheers

Heres the one I trust!! These people have forgotten =more than most spring companys have learned!! I was using them 50 years ago & wont go anywhere else!! cheers
    docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:46 pm

I agree. With the money we put into these projects of ours, I can't see skimping on the springs. Sure they may cost a lot, but safety is paramount. BTW twinpilot, you didn't put the name of the company you use!
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:02 pm

Alamo Spring =s. Flores st. San Antonio texas-----(210) 227-3363-- if those people recomend a amount of leafs ( amount) and a ride height-- after talking to u - trust in their recomendations -they are spot on!!

cheers
    docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:15 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll for sure give them a call.
    tower9
    tower9

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2014-01-03

Post by tower9 Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:30 pm

Don't know where your at in california, but if your in southern California there is a company in Santa Ana called Deaver Springs they have been around and family owned since the day of the horse and buggy & there is no one better when it comes to springs / suspension. Good luck.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:56 pm

ALL you guys need to go up to PROFILE and  put down your location that we understand so we don't keep wasting time asking where are you??? it makes a BIG difference for finding you parts and finding vanners in your area,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:22 am

We KNEW!! all that anyway =joe!! Bet u didnt =REARCH those springs on that =Willis!! affraid lol! lol! lol!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Post by Joe Van Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:33 am

Twinpilot001 wrote:We KNEW!! all that  anyway =joe!!   Bet u didnt =REARCH those springs on that =Willis!!   affraid lol! lol! lol!
    The Willys had coil overs so I was lucky there..I was going for the cheaper way out without useing a block but it setteled down uneven probley from the age of the springs but they were in good shape or the spring shop would have never rearched them the van had 58k origional miles on it at the time...I am saveing now for a "New Set" up front.. Very Happy .

Post by docmcg Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Hey, twinpilot, I tried that place in Texas, but an operator came on line saying the number was no longer in service. Got a different # for them?
    busman78
    busman78

Number of posts : 483
    Registration date : 2012-07-11

Post by busman78 Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Atlas Spring & Axle, Wichita KS 316-943-2386

Already chatted with them, gave him the part numbers off my springs and he looked them up, still would like the measurement from center of eye's to center bolt, can either do stock ride or tell him how much higher you want the vehicle. Going to do the rears next month, followed by the fronts for a Christmas present to myself.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:15 pm

Here is a place by me in Escondido, California,,,,,,see what they have to say,,,,,
    www.eandcspring.com.

or you can call Ben at National Spring in El Cajon at 619 258-2724 and tell him Don says you might be able to help you.....
    mattimuss
    mattimuss

Registration date : 2009-05-04

Post by mattimuss Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Hey Doc,

I too have used National Spring. They re-arched the springs in my A108 and in my '65 Barracuda. I just had them look at the springs for my '41 Plymouth. Good guys there.
    docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:24 pm

Hey Dave, how did it go at National Spring? Good service, prices? Are you satisfied with the re-arched springs?
    docmcg
    docmcg

Post by docmcg Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:41 pm

Today I switched the rear springs from side to side. Seems to have made a little difference. I think I'll drive it as is for a while. If it stays the same, I'm going to put a block on the low side. After that I'll probably go the new spring route. Just gets costly in a hurry. Gotta slow down on the spending for a while. Rebuilt the carb the other day. Man, what a difference that made! Starts right up, and purrs like a kitten. Better response too.
    dodge A-108
    dodge A-108

Number of posts : 67
    Registration date : 2014-11-22

Post by dodge A-108 Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:54 am

docmcg wrote:Thought just occurred to me that my 49 year old springs have had it. Removed and cleaned up and painted all the suspension, front and rear, and the truck sits about 1" lower on the driver side. Maybe I should replace all the springs? Does anyone have a favorite place to get these? I'd like to replace all of them. On a side note, I had a guy today suggest air bags to level the truck. I liked the idea, but I'd still have 49 year old springs. Airlift offers bags for lowered trucks that looked like they would be just right size wise, but again, 49 year old springs. What would you guys do? Who has the best price on new springs?
    my A-108 had the "saggy draggys" on the front. I went to a place that supplys trailer parts. there I got 2 new leafs that are roughly twice as thick as the originals. all I did was,,,, I took everything apart but left the main leaves attached. I put the new leaf on the bottom of the main leaf. and then put the rest back in their original position. a perfect solution and not too expensive either

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:06 am