VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Brake Lights

Brake Lights Empty Brake Lights

Post by Guest Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:39 pm

Ok so im having a problem with my brake lights. Both of the turn signals work, but the left brake dosen't come on. Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appriciated. Thanks,
    -Ryan
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Brake Lights Empty Re: Brake Lights

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:49 pm

The brake light switch sends a signal to the turn signal switch and the turn signal switch determines which brake light, or lights come on,,,,,there are contacts in the switch that do this, you can see them if you pull the steering wheel off. They look like big staples,,, you might be able to clean them,,,,You don't have a hazard flasher switch on there, do you????,

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:42 pm

No hazard switch. I took the weel off and cleaned up those contacts but the left brake light still dosent work.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:35 pm

Ok,,,,,lets get serious,,,,You say the rear turn signals work, so that means the wiring and bulbs are good from the turn signal switch to the rear. And you say one rear brake light light comes on, so the brake light switch and wiring are also good. So the problem is in the switch, the contact 3, ( left rear bulb), is not touching the brake light contact, #2. Or maybe that plastic cancelling arm is warped and holding the contact away. So take it apart like my picture, use a test light and check for voltage,,,,#2 should be the signal when you step on the brake pedal. and it should send it to #3 and 4, the rear brake lights. I think if you take that U shaped plastic cancelling arm off, the brake lights will work,,,,,,,

Brake Lights Ts_swi10

Post by Guest Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:23 pm

Alright, I will try that when I have more time. As always, thanks for your knowledge and pics Don!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:00 pm