VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Early 1st Gen Shift "fork" bushing question?

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Early 1st Gen Shift "fork" bushing question? Empty Early 1st Gen Shift "fork" bushing question?

Post by Vantasia Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Probably covered before, for Donivan or anyone else...I was changing the rear shift rod bushings on my early '64 non-synchro 3-speed.  (I got NOS bushings from Mac over at VCVC, thanks!).  First, one of the shifters had no thrust washers on either side of the bushing, the other did, which is correct?  Were the washers supposed to be there or were they added to "stiffen" up the worn bushing.  Second, on the shift fork off the Zee bar, the lever is moved by the slotted steel fork.  It's a steel to steel connection with some free play and it clicks when you shift.  I have kept it greased ever since I got the van.  My main question is there supposed to a bushing around the pin for the slot in the fork to ride in or was it always steel to steel?  It looks like a small grommet shaped bushing would fit over the pin and take up the slack and avoid metal wear?? Here's a picture.  Anyone else have this set-up? Who know's, maybe its a old home-made repair for all I know?  The arrow is pointing to the connection.
    Early 1st Gen Shift "fork" bushing question? Fork10
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Early 1st Gen Shift "fork" bushing question? Empty Re: Early 1st Gen Shift "fork" bushing question?

Post by Vantasia Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:47 pm

Quick follow up...I studied the shop manual, Page 7-2, Fig. 3 and the exploded figure shows metal to metal between the cross shaft fork (zee bar) and the shifter lever, no sign of a bushing, must be loose from 50 years of wear in the fork....It also shows the thrust washers I'm missing on either side of the bushings....I'll just leave the fork and grease it a few times a year....
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Early 1st Gen Shift "fork" bushing question? Empty Re: Early 1st Gen Shift "fork" bushing question?

Post by donivan65 Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:43 pm

all the clutch, shift rod and gas pedal linkage eats itself over the years,,,,,,

Early 1st Gen Shift "fork" bushing question? Chevy_19

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:26 am