VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Patch panels

Mistabreeze
    Mistabreeze

Number of posts : 5
    Registration date : 2014-09-24

Patch panels Empty Patch panels

Post by Mistabreeze Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:37 am

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to this site and have a question. I have a 1990 Chevy G20 van. I know, it's not that old, but next year it hits the 25 year mark, so give me a break. The problem is I need to replace the sheet metal on the exterior that is above and below the windshield. Does anybody know where I can find these parts? I patched all the holes about 10 years ago, but now I believe it will need complete sheet metal replacement. I can make the pieces, but that is quite time consuming as well as difficult.

Thanks,

Mistabreeze

PS- I'll upload some pics of the van later this week for your approval.
    wideload
    wideload
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 1388
    Registration date : 2008-05-11

Patch panels Empty Re: Patch panels

Post by wideload Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:59 am

Joe Van might be able to tell you what you need to know. He has a third gen van as well as a first gen. Only other advice I can offer is maybe try Vannin.com they are more focused on the newer vans.

Mistabreeze
    Mistabreeze

Post by Mistabreeze Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:12 am

Thanks Wideload, I'll check that site out.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:02 pm

Welcome to VV..!!!.. There is currently "No One" makeing Roof or Around the windsheild,or door post,  "Patch Panels" for Chevy/Gmc vans...your only Option other than makeing them is finding a Van at the junk yard or buying a parts Van to get what metal you need..Most all patch panels are made for the beltline down.!!!.......One trick on the 3rd Gens is drill a small hole in each "Corner" of the drip edge to keep water from sitting in there thats what rust's around the windsheild and rear doors when water sit's in there and eventully leaks in the seams... Smile ....Keep Us Posted....

Post by Mistabreeze Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Thanks Joe, I was afraid you were going to say that. I'll just make them, I think this time instead of putting back the stock windshield that uses the old VW style rubber seal, I'll have a local glass guy install the newer style WS and urethane seal when installed. Any downside to this?
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:32 pm

As long as they will guarantee it give it a shot...I have had the best luck with the Gasket that has the "Locking Strip" in it its easer to install.. But the "Factory One" Did last 24 years..!!! ....Still I "Strongly Recommend" having it installed professionally to avoid breaking it or any leaks...As far as the metal work just do one section at a time and it should go pretty smoothly try to remove just the bad metal instead of cutting the whole panel out if it can be avoided.....Good Luck..!!!...Joe Van..cheers ..

Post by Mistabreeze Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:41 am

Yes, definitely professionally installed. I patched it the last time just fixing all the holes with sheet metal patches, this time, I'm going to do a complete patch. I was thinking about it last night. It will be best to make it a three piece, the middle, and two side curves for both top and bottom. I did auto-body repair for 12 years after high school so I have all the equipment still. I'll post some pics once I begin the project.

Thanks for your input Dan
    Mistabreeze
    Mistabreeze

Post by Mistabreeze Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:42 am

I meant thanks Joe.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:59 am