VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+6
Magic Bus
Bruce67Econoline
vanny
Vantastic
uante
BlueSteel
10 posters

Life is a Beach

BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2013-05-15

Life is a Beach Empty Life is a Beach

Post by BlueSteel Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:43 pm

My wifey and I love our 62 Falcon Van.

Life is a Beach Image
    We Love surfing Its the best.  

We frequent the local beaches here in San Clemente, particularly San Onofre.  We're there nearly every Saturday and we have such a great group of surf/life friends what we get to cruise with.  

Usually our Saturdaze begins at 4am when my wife's alarm goes off and we roll out of bed and brew us up some lattes her's hot, mine iced (as i'm in the perpetual overheating state of Man-o-pause).  We load our coolers (boards were carefully loaded the night before) and we turn the key and GO! Our destination is 2 miles down the road to San O only to wait in line.  Usually we get in line at 430-445am for the gate to the state park to open at 6am.  Getting there early is essential as not only is parking finite...but we have to get our spot too 'Last Palm'.  Apart from a couple die-hards, who got in line at 2am in their RVs and are sleeping till 555am, the line is just beginning to materialize at 5am.  To kill the time we turn our vans off and just hang out, banter & get stoked on the surf, sometimes we'll cook breakfast in line too.  Its kinda like tailgating hahaha.

Life is a Beach 0726140552
    Here's a Shot of the line pre6am (earlier this summer its not this bright anymore  Sad )

However as 5:50 comes and passes, fun and games are over, its time for business... the gates open and we roll in.  Its important to ride the bumper of the person in front of you as people will try to merge into line from a side road trying to skip the line all together, completely disrespecting those who pulled up in line early and found their place in said line.  In the event that an outside invader tries to encroach and breach; the line itself responds like an immune system rejecting a faulty transplant.  

As we pass the gatekeeper and drive down the paved path and into the rutted out stretch we find our place at last palm.  Our falcon has a couple buddies Sandy a 65 econoline painted in a Tan truck-bed liner & the Tangerine Dream, a 76? VW Westy.
    Life is a Beach First_thing

After we find our spot we usually amp on the surf for a bit, drink some more coffee, and claim our piece of turf.  If the surf is pumping I'll paddle out almost immediately.  However, if the surf is pumping it'll get crowded.  
    Life is a Beach Surf Last palm and glassy waves.

After a first sesh we'll cook breakfast where we all contribute something and we'll chill on the beach

Life is a Beach Vans_chilling

As the morning wears on we end up napping in our vans, eating chips drinking some...college drinks.  We end up making making forts out of our vans to escape the sun.
    Life is a Beach Falcon_Sandy
    wifey & I between Falcon & Sandy

A random vanner will park us in
    Life is a Beach Vans_on_vans

Life is a Beach 0809141339
    Moar Vans!!!! As morning gives way to afternoon usually the riffraff joins us and more vans take join us... safety in numbers

Life is a Beach Beach_Daze
    The rest of the day is spent in various stages between chilling, surfing, drinking, eating or napping.  

We Love our Van & the Life our van enables us to live.  Thank you Vintage-Vans for helping me keep my van running cheers

Last edited by BlueSteel on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
    uante
    uante

Number of posts : 1466
    Registration date : 2014-01-26

Life is a Beach Empty Re: Life is a Beach

Post by uante Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:56 pm

Looks like Good Times! Very Happy
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2011-02-28

Post by Vantastic Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:57 am

I'm just down the road in O'side... Shoot me a PM, I love to cruz,surf,eat,surf, cruz!
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:18 pm

You guys got it great out there! Congrats and thanks for the pics.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:21 pm

What a life!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:28 pm

Im Jealous, I wanna be 25 and live on the beach!
    CraigK
    CraigK

Number of posts : 141
    Registration date : 2012-05-14

Post by CraigK Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:50 am

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:36 pm

looks like a great time. I will make it out to the left coast in my van sometime. hopefully sooner than later.
    BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Post by BlueSteel Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:34 pm

its been raining all day (which rarely happens here in SoCal). Here's a pic of a warmer sunnier day several weeks ago... waves were good, lots of beers and brauts were consumed another sun rise to to sunset day.

Life is a Beach 09271410
    drc

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2010-09-13

Post by drc Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:32 am

How are the crowds this time of year? Far fewer than summer time?
    BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Post by BlueSteel Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:34 pm

The gates to the parking lot don't open till 6am, with a finite number of parking spaces... around 300ish vehicles. In the summer, if its' hot, and the swell is shoulder high or more, we'll get in line around 430am and we're already 50 cars back, and a line will form to get in that can take up to 2 hours (the the uninitiated, South Orange County is primarily a summer spot, as the beaches face south & our summer waves come from the Australia/NZ area, unless we have hurricane swell spinning off from Mainland Mex or Baja).

This time of year (fall/winter) the weather isn't as appealing and the swell isn't hitting San0 as much, so yeah, we can get in line at 515-530 and we'll be in the top 20 cars. You can cruise in around 9 and not really have a line & if there is its less than 20 min (unless there's a significant swell). I myself am not to particularlly fond of the wave, but we have so many friends that log so i've been getting to logging because of them... but I'll take my fish & walk up to Church or Middles if i want a lil more juice.
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:40 pm

Nice sets, we don't have nice waves here until storms come in.
    BlueSteel
    BlueSteel

Post by BlueSteel Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:16 am

Yeah we're fortunate with the surf over here... this past summer we almost had east coast water temps too... i was trunk'n it until October-ish

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:52 pm