VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

65 dog house cut

flyn
    flyn

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2014-08-31

65 dog house cut Empty 65 dog house cut

Post by flyn Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:39 pm

howdy im new here and new to early chevy vans. I had a 64 econoline before...any how I have a 64 chevy van ,,has any one cut there dog house out? the ford one unbolts... I wanna install a v6 and it looks like cutting the dog house out is the best way..any input?
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

65 dog house cut Empty Re: 65 dog house cut

Post by Digz Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:01 pm

Spot weld cutters or just drill them somewhat around the the perimeter. There are lots of them. They will come off without doing to much damage.
    flyn
    flyn

Post by flyn Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:32 pm

sweet , thanks.. I was lookin around and saw a couple of them done..i also saw where someone said you made your own... Im going to see if I can find that post.. thanks again
    flyn
    flyn

Post by flyn Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:35 pm

ok saw yours that gives me ideas as the v6 is shorter hmmmmm.....thanks
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:54 am

If you can get a hold of a 2nd gen dog house to use it might be easier. I had a lot of sheet metal and no 2nd Gen DH to use . Having easy access to the engine makes life so much nicer tho.

Post by Guest Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:39 pm

What V-6 are you going to use? I got a 4.3l out of a '99 S10 and a 700R4 tranny ready to go. Just need to find the time. I'm in Fl. so my thought for the shorter motor is that I can run a mechanical fan and still have room for A.C. and maybe power steering someday. Good luck and please keep me posted.
    Sam
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:32 am

Installing a GM 4.3 V6 is going to be the same as installing a V8 except you will have more room up front a 4.3 is a 350/305 (V8) minus the 2 front cylinders it will bolt in the same way..... There are a few threads on installing a V8 in a 1st Gen on this site you may get away with the 1964-66 1st Gen factory motor box if you plan on using the stock exhaust manifolds and not hedders.....Get a 8 inch drop universal transmission cross-member from "Speed Way Motors" and weld some plates on the frame for it to bolt to.... Use standard V8 mounts up front  and the rest will come together you will probley have to get a drive shaft made.!!..But I could be wrong it should not be that big of a deal...AC is doable with a "Vintage Air Kit" the power steering will be a "Issue" since you will need a power steering box that will fit a early Van but they are NOT bad at all to steer the way it is so put that part on the back burner.... Getting any project started is the hardest part..!!!......JMO.......Good Luck.!!!....Sam I was just outside Sarasota last weekend for the holiday... Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:44 am