VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

short circuit somewhere?

short circuit somewhere? Empty short circuit somewhere?

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi all,
    started her up yesterday after work and the main fuse blew and the engine died.
    Tried again to see what happens, engine kept running and I couldn't shut her off with the key anymore.
    The cable running along the front started smoking.
    Anyone had something similar.
    Where to check first?
    Ignition switch maybe? Starter solenoid?

Thanks.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12218
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

short circuit somewhere? Empty Re: short circuit somewhere?

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:05 pm

The 1st thing is to take off a battery cable and put a 12 volt test light in series between the cable and the battery post. If it lights up, you have a problem. If you say the van would not shut off, then I would say you got some wires melted together, more than likely, the wire that goes from the ignition switch to the positive side of the coil. So what fuse blew? In the fuse block? Where was the smoke at? That would be a place to look for wires melted together.....

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:31 pm

It's an inline fuse hanging from under the wire mess in the dash.
    The fuses in the light switch are still ok.
    Thanks for the pointers, gotta tow it home.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:17 pm

Is this one of those wonderfull vehicles that have 2 fuses on the back of the headlight switch protecting it?????? I think next to dual line master cylinders, everyone should add a fusible link at the positive battery cable connection, so WHEN, not IF, your wiring goes bad and the van catches on fire,,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:49 pm

donivan65 wrote:Is this one of those wonderfull vehicles that have 2 fuses on the back of the headlight switch protecting it?????? I think next to dual line master cylinders, everyone should add a fusible link at the positive battery cable connection, so WHEN, not IF, your wiring goes bad and the van catches on fire,,,,,,

Amen.....I used to do wire repair on the side, and the first thing I will do to my van before it hits the road is to either rewire it, or add ALOT more fuses.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:14 pm

donivan65 wrote:Is this one of those wonderfull vehicles that have 2 fuses on the back of the headlight switch protecting it?????? I think next to dual line master cylinders, everyone should add a fusible link at the positive battery cable connection, so WHEN, not IF, your wiring goes bad and the van catches on fire,,,,,,

It's got 4 fuses on the back of the headlight switch and two inline somewhere.
    Could you explain the fusible link at the battery a little further?

Thanks.

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:28 pm

You could use a fuseable link or a maxi fuse, either way will work. You would install it between the main power supply to the van and its connection point, so that if ANYTHING goes wrong it blows the fuse. I would say a 40 amp should cover the van, maybe even a 30 amp.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:57 pm

Well, the vehicles get safer and better all the time. And one thing would be Fusible Links. They are special pieces of wire that are made to break if excessive current goes through them. Like if a Positive wire touches ground, the whole battery current will flow through it until it gets so hot that it burns up. Thats where a fusible link is great! it melts when too much current flows through it and disconnects the wire from the battery. the old vans don't have that protection, they will have a hot wire running to the alternator, fuse block, headlight switch and ignition switch. So 45 year old wiring is pretty unsafe. All the new vehicles have fusible links so It is a good idea to put some on ones that don't have any. And I would say, splice them into the wires that hook up to the terminal on the starter relay that the Positive battery cable hooks to. That way it protects the whole van. The wire just pops if something shorts out.

short circuit somewhere? Fisibl10

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:09 pm

thats an inexpensive way to protect our vans..
    so they just go on the battery cable that connects to the relay??
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:18 pm

They go wherever the little wires connect to the positive battery cable. So you probably got 1 or 2 wires bolted on to the same place that the positive battery cable connects to the starter relay. So cut those wires add a fusible link to them and connect them back to the relay. When they do blow, sometimes you can't tell by looking at them. But if you pulled on them, they will stretch like a rubber band since the wire inside is melted. But you need to fix your problem 1st.

Post by Guest Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Thanks donivan,

...but if this link burns up and you have to replace it...wouldn't it be easier to just install a regular inline fuse in front of the battery???

Plus the length of the fusible link would also make things messy under the seat.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:51 pm

The idea is you never have a problem,,,,but I think the fusible link is a little more tolerant of problems and does not just blow or come loose like a fuse does. I don't know what you mean by it making a mess under your seat. Its just like 3" long with a ring terminal on 1 end to bolt onto the starter relay,,,,and you crimp or solder the other end to the wire that you just took off.
    And what kind of fuse do you use to handle the 35 amps or so coming out of the alternator? The push in fuses are better than the glass ones if that is what you want to use. Just as long as you got something protecting the feed wires,,,,,,,not just the accessories like it has now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am