VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
jimthefred
CraigK
econopoor
7 posters

Econopoor's 67 Pickup.

econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Econopoor's 67 Pickup.  Empty Econopoor's 67 Pickup.

Post by econopoor Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:04 pm

I have this old beat up 67 three window that is really a pile. It's the first Econoline I bought not counting the old 63 Falcon station bus I had back in the 70's. Anyway, It's been sitting around my property for almost 15 years now as I've debated what I was going to do with it. It spent several years in my shop as a restoration project. I pulled the stuck 240 and patched a rust hole in the front floor. During this time I came to the conclusion that it was really too ruff to do a good restoration. It was sold new in Memphis. It was some kind of fleet vehicle as it has numbers painting on it. By looking underneath I can see it spent a lot of miles on gravel roads. The body has several stress cracks in it from flexing. The nose has been punched a couple of times. Just pretty much wore out. I'm still a little partial to it tho. Kinda love the old beat up truck. I decided it would be nice just to put it back on the road as is. I've parted out enough trucks over the years to give me most of the parts needed to get her going again. I just need some help. My health has taken a dive bomb and I'm unable to do much more than piddling. My friend Eric Beeckman helped me by putting in 240 in it for me. This past weekend we had a little get together. Many of my Econoline friends came over to help get it closer to being on the road. Steve Noland aka Rip Van Arkie, John Robinson, Eric Beeckman, Jim Tooloose, and Eric Duffel aka Eric's67pickup, all came and spent the weekend with us and helped get it back together. The pictures will show some of what was done. I want to thank all of them very much for giving me all the help they did. It would still be sitting out back in the barn without them.

Econopoor's 67 Pickup.  IMG_20140714_110129781-vi

This is how it looked Monday after the weekend bash. Still got a little more to do but it's so much closer to being on the road. It had just started raining so that's why the streaks are in the paint. It's really oxidized Vintage Burgundy. It's an original paint truck. Special ordered. Not much left to it though. Pretty sad looking.

Econopoor's 67 Pickup.  IMG_20140714_104344142-vi

Got a new gas tank, all new fuel lines, new brakes lines, new rear drum brakes with all new hardware and wheel cylinders, new shocks. Eric duffel rebuilt my emergency brake as the old stuff had been removed by a previous owner. And I mean removed. The levers, cables, equalizer bar and even the mounts on the frame. I have an old frame from a 67 Super out back that still had most of the parts needed.

Econopoor's 67 Pickup.  IMG_20140712_173043012-vi

We decided it would be quicker to rebuild one of the axles I had laying around than to try and fit disc brakes to the axle in the truck. I followed Fred Carello's plan for AMC brakes. It uses Hornet brackets, Mazda RX7 rotors, 76 Impala hoses, The banjo bolts are for a Harley Davidson motorcycle.
    I went with Granada calipers as that what Eric B has in his 67 pickup, Had to cut the rotors and hubs down to fit. A little grinding on the calipers. All new bearings and seals. King pins were checked and were recently replaced in the spare axle I used. Added a sway bar from the parts stash and new shocks up front.

Econopoor's 67 Pickup.  IMG_20140330_184435137-vi

New brakes need new juice. I have a stack of 67 master cylinders but they all need rebuilding and sleeves. Then I still have a problem because I don't like pulling the carpet to check the fluid. I came up with this little plan. It uses a Willwood remote fill master cylinder. I machined an adapter to fit it to the stock 67 pedal. Then I had to machine plates down the sides of the cylinder to mount it to the frame and so the stock E-brake will still bolt to it. Added Willwood residual valves and new plumbing. Now I have a dual chamber MC for about $150.00 and a bunch of time on the mill. LOL. All the bracket material came from scraps I picked up here and there.

Steve spent most of the day inside the cab sorting out the wiring and getting the engine tuned up and ready to go. Jim and Eric B put in the radiator and doghouse.

Econopoor's 67 Pickup.  IMG_20140712_160840294-vi

Here's a shot of our little get together. That's Eric Duffel's white 67 8 door, Eric Beeckman's 67 five window. and my 61 three window. Jim didn't get to bring his 66 Supervan as the clutch is weak and he was afraid it wouldn't pull up my driveway. Steve and John came from Arkansas and drove John's Lincoln.

It was a blast having them here. Our wives keep us fed all weekend with great food. The truck just needs some minor things now. The driveshaft is shot so I need to dig another out of the parts stash. Needs a new exhaust system. Heater box and vent needs to be put back in the cab. Seats, tires, and plates and were good to go.

Duane in Tennessee

Last edited by econopoor on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CraigK
    CraigK

Number of posts : 141
    Registration date : 2012-05-14

Econopoor's 67 Pickup.  Empty Re: Econopoor's 67 Pickup.

Post by CraigK Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:15 pm

Thats awesome Duane. Hope to see it when I come down for those parts your holding for me.
    jimthefred
    jimthefred

Number of posts : 326
    Registration date : 2012-01-15

Post by jimthefred Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:42 pm

Wish I was closer, Would have joined the festivities!
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Awesome truck, and awesome friends. Glad to see another early coming out of retirement.

Post by Guest Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:09 pm

jimthefred wrote:Wish I was closer, Would have joined the festivities!

Me too!
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:24 pm

Love to hear stories like this. Hope all goes well for you and the truck.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:39 pm

You've done some nice work on the truck Duane
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:00 pm

I was wondering how you made out, I wanted to come, had plans, they blew up cuz my Ma's a/c went out in her house, spent the weekend doing that instead.

Looking good, maybe we could have a round 2 sometime in the future to put it on the road?
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:16 pm

Magic Bus wrote:I was wondering how you made out, I wanted to come, had plans, they blew up cuz my Ma's a/c went out in her house, spent the weekend doing that instead.

Looking good, maybe we could have a round 2 sometime in the future to put it on the road?

I hope to get it finished up pretty soon. Steve will be back in two or three weeks. Eric B has 5 days in a row off soon and he's offered to help some more too. And Jim is available everyday. LOL. I did some to it today as this weather is unbelievable. Take advantage while I can. Your welcome anything Terry. Just let me know.

Duane in Tennessee
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Post by econopoor Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:18 pm

CraigK wrote:Thats awesome Duane. Hope to see it when I come down for those parts your holding for me.

Hi Craig. I'm sure you will get to see it. It's been sitting here for 15 years. LOL. not going anywhere soon. Your stuff is safe here. Just let me know when you want to head this way.

Duane in Tennessee

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 pm