VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
Udo
66ThunderVan
xjamesx
CraigK
Sy Hollinshead
donivan65
Cdcracing
11 posters

61 econoline wire harness

Cdcracing
    Cdcracing

Number of posts : 245
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

61 econoline wire harness  Empty 61 econoline wire harness

Post by Cdcracing Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Does anybody make a wiring harness for the 61 econo vans . I keep having problems with lights , brake lights , blinkers . I'll take it to the mechanic he will getting going and about 2 weeks later they will be messing up again . A lot of the wires look brittle and some rubber has fallen off . Thanks for the help
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

61 econoline wire harness  Empty Re: 61 econoline wire harness

Post by donivan65 Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:45 pm

I surely can tell you how to fix any electrical problem if you tell me what is happening to it.... power comes from the positive cable on the battery,,,,goes through a fuse, then a switch,,,,,then to the equipment,,,,,,and we run tests to see if no power is getting to the equipment or too much power is flowing and burns out the fuse,,,,,, and that fuse box that Ford hides on the top of the headlight switch,,,,is the worst ever invented,,,,,so we change and fix stuff to make it better than its ever been.....
    Cdcracing
    Cdcracing

Post by Cdcracing Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:44 am

I'm getting no brake lights . Sometimes the running lights work work in taillight . Blinkers work . My mechanic said that it's probably time to replace the wiring harness . A lot of the wires are crack and the rubber on wire has fallen off .
    Sy Hollinshead
    Sy Hollinshead

Number of posts : 466
    Registration date : 2008-10-11

Post by Sy Hollinshead Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:03 am

The wiring on these vans wasn't great when they were new. 50 years later things haven't improved...!!! When i ripped my wiring out i was amazed at how much of the insulation was cracked and missing on the wires. And as for the fuses....!!! What a stupid place to put them...!!!
    Don't think anybody makes a new loom. I made my own, it wasn't too difficult. There isn't much on these vans that is complicated.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:49 am

Testing is the way to find out problems,,,one step at a time,,,,,,,you need to understand the circuit,,,you say no brake lights,,,,,so lets check it when they are not working,,,,(the circuit is,   power goes to the brake light switch, when you step on the brake pedal, it sends that power out the switch to the turn signal switch, where the turn signal switch decides which and if to send power out to each rear brake light),,,each brake light has a wire at the turn signal switch,,,,if the turn signals works, then you know that everything is good from the turn signal to the rear bulbs,,,,,turn signals and brake lights use the same wire,connectors and grounds,,,,,so your problem is either the turn signal switch or brake light switch or the connectors,,,,go to the brake light switch,,,there are 2 wires on it,,,,take a test light or voltmeter and see if one of those wires have power,,,,,if you find one has power,,,,check the other one as you step on the brake pedal,,,,see if power comes out of the switch,,,,finally,,,,pull the wires off the switch, connect them together with a jumper wire or paper clip,,,,see if that puts the brake lights on,,,,,,so run some tests....lets see what you find and we can go on to the next step,,,,,,
    CraigK
    CraigK

Number of posts : 141
    Registration date : 2012-05-14

Post by CraigK Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:44 am

Donivan has you on the right track. On my wire diagram its a red wire to the brake switch that should have power and a red wire with black stripe that runs from the brake switch to the turn signal switch.
    You may first want to check the wires running to the back where they go up the drivers door post. Mine were worn down to the bare wire from rubbing the opening they run through. A good spot to short out the wires.
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Number of posts : 378
    Registration date : 2008-05-14

Post by xjamesx Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:28 pm

These guys will help get the existing problems fixed but I recently decided to rewire the whole van and I'm glad I did. It's nice to have everything brand new with a 12 circuit proper fuse box. I used Kwikwire cause they were reasonably priced and had good reviews on here but I know there are other higher end brands to choose from too. If I did it again, I'd still use the Kwikwire. Every wire is labeled and color coded (but not to factory specs) and it wasn't that hard to do.
    Good luck.
    Cdcracing
    Cdcracing

Post by Cdcracing Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:12 am

Thanks xjamesx I'll check it out .
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:38 am

E100s are known to have rusted, bad, corroded, open ground connections. They are the black wires that are sometimes clustered into eyelets and are screwed to the metal frame or braces in the back. Try to locate, remove, wire brush or sand the eyelet and frame and reattach with clean screws.
    Udo
    Udo

Number of posts : 247
    Registration date : 2014-07-07

Post by Udo Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:45 pm

xjamesx wrote:These guys will help get the existing problems fixed but I recently decided to rewire the whole van and I'm glad I did.  It's nice to have everything brand new with a 12 circuit proper fuse box.  I used Kwikwire cause they were reasonably priced and had good reviews on here but I know there are other higher end brands to choose from too.  If I did it again, I'd still use the Kwikwire. Every wire is labeled and color coded (but not to factory specs) and it wasn't that hard to do.
    Good luck.

I don't see the 12 circuit option, only 8, 14, and 22.
    I assume the 14 would be a safe choice?
    I would love to rewire mine when I get it....regardless of condition.

http://kwikwire.com/wire-harnesses/ford-harnesses/14-circuit-ford-wire-harness/
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Post by xjamesx Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:15 am

Sorry, I was mistaken. That 14 circuit one you just linked is the harness I installed.
    Udo
    Udo

Post by Udo Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:51 pm

Ah OK cool, I will scoop that one up here at some point.  Wink 
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Post by Rayallen Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:11 pm

Thanks for the link, I am at my wits end with the electric system in my 64. Going to give this ago. I know very little about wiring cars, but all the wires in the van are old and brittle and a new harness would be ideal.

http://kwikwire.com/wire-harnesses/ford-harnesses/14-circuit-ford-wire-harness/
    xjamesx
    xjamesx

Post by xjamesx Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:02 pm

The only issue I came across when wiring my van with this kit is translating the harness instructions with the original worrying diagram. The headlight switch and ignition switch specifically. I'll try to take pics tomorrow of how I wired each of those switches. Mine has been working great since I rewired the van except for a small glitch in my tail lights that I plan on investigating tomorrow. Probably just the turn signal switch or a ground.
    I still recommend this kit and rewiring to everyone. It is nice to know its all modern and up to date so I can focus on other issues.
    Udo
    Udo

Post by Udo Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:40 pm

I think I might give this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=400758684274

Or this one a go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350583373295?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I like the 2nd one with so many additional circuits to attach goods later on like the powered heated seats I might be putting into mine.
    Irons
    Irons

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2017-04-26

Post by Irons Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:07 pm

I too have issues with a short in my '61 van. Scuffed bare wires ect.

I know its pricey but I was thinking of this one because of the OEM coloring. What do you guys think?

http://www.centechwire.com/Ford-Wiring-Harness-K-40F.htm
    Udo
    Udo

Post by Udo Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:11 pm

Sure yeah!
    Not cheap...mine was like $160 and has 20 fuses on it along with colour coded and labelled wiring so you can add all sorts of things later if you need to.
    Canada17
    Canada17

Number of posts : 49
    Registration date : 2016-03-21

Post by Canada17 Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi Guys,
    As I was starting my rebuild I was finding a cracked, frayed, rusted mess of a harness. I considered trying to repair it as I went and literally had chunks of insulation falling off the wires as I went. I quickly decided to replace the whole harness and went with Centech. I did a couple of calls with Jim and he customized the standard harness for me to suit my electronic ignition, LEDs, alternator etc. The total cost was less than $500 including all new switches, ignition, fuse panel, connectors etc and I'm confident that I've saved myself more than that in time saved looking for electrical gremlins down the road, and invested in peace of mind.
    Zonk 1/75
    Zonk 1/75

Number of posts : 91
    Registration date : 2016-06-24

Post by Zonk 1/75 Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Hoping to spend A LOT less than $500 when I get to a total rewire

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:54 pm