VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Fuel tank pressure

Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Fuel tank pressure - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel tank pressure

Post by Big W Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:07 pm

Ahh now I see. Ok, always thought on the newer (1975 ish) that the small tube that came up to the top of the filler was a tank vent. But actually is only to help speed up refueling. Never to old to learn something new. Thanks Gov.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:34 pm

but the story sure changed in 1970,,,,,,look at this Chevy van tank with all the vents on it because of the Emission laws,,,,,and they go up to that plastic bottle inside the van.....

Fuel tank pressure - Page 2 Chevy_10
    NEK64
    NEK64

Number of posts : 72
    Registration date : 2013-03-11

Post by NEK64 Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:47 am

Ahhhh....so in reality, the new cap I bought was vented...just in the wrong direction scratch 
    Note: the small hole worked wonders!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:10 am

Vented caps are against the law, so there aint much use manufacturing them,,,,,but we need them,,,,I think there are more non vented caps being passed off as vented caps nowadays,,,,but we fix that problem,,,,,if you park on a slant with a full tank on a hot day,,,,,gas might drip out the cap,,,,,my 1978 G30 motorhome has a little plastic cap on top of the gas tank for a vent and a sealed cap  because it is close to the exhaust from the furnace,,,,but,,,,,I installed a generator next to the gas tank and ran a piece of 3/8" brake tubing up from the tank, through the wall, so it now vents from the roof,,,,so I don't blow myself up running the generator right next to the fumes coming out of the gas tank,,,,,,and what difference in tank sizes on my 2 Chevys,,,,,,,,,it is more than double in size,,,,,,,,

Fuel tank pressure - Page 2 Repair14

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:17 am