VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Engine starts in all gears

RichardP
    RichardP

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2013-08-10

Engine starts in all gears Empty Engine starts in all gears

Post by RichardP Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:43 am

I have a C4. The engine will start in any gear. I am sure its a neutral lock out switch issue. Any input appreciated.
    One more thing. The transparent selector indicts PRN a dot then a circle with green dot, then L
    What is the significance of the dot and the circle with green dot.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Engine starts in all gears Empty Re: Engine starts in all gears

Post by donivan65 Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:47 pm

I don't know if your switch is the same as this, but I would unplug it and see if the van still starts,,,,,,that will at least tell you if the switch is bypassed  or the problem is with the switch,,,,,,don't let strangers drive that van,,,,,

Engine starts in all gears Ford_n10
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:10 pm

green dot was drive = without =2nd gear     l=low later called = cruise-o - matic trannys

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:23 pm

Sounds like your neutral safety switch not hooked up at all ... if it is it's defective ... I have the wiring diagram here to help you ... along with the adjustments outlined in the previous post that should dial u in ...
    RichardP
    RichardP

Post by RichardP Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:27 am

Yikes,
    That would be great. THanks,
    Richard

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:03 pm

Engine starts in all gears 00110

Not sure if this is going to work but hope you see it ... click on photo ... basically the switch needs to act as an interrupt in the starting circuit so that plug that normally goes on the solenoid in standards gets re-routed to the safety switch in autos. Important to set the switch as outlined in previous post. I used a 1/8" drill bit at the neutral safety switch ... I disconnect the shifter rod and set up the switch ... then I would go up to the column and make sure the arm and column tube all make sense to the indicator ... that's when you put in a drift into that hole in the floor ... then go back under and see where everything lines up ... if the column looks good on neutral and the switch aligned the same ... all you have to do is adjust that end on the shift rod to align everything as good as it can possibly be ... if your shifter rod and overdrive rod bushings burnt out and they are slapping away and driving you nuts ... contact Ted Johns (Old Skool and Fred C know his co-ordinates) for a fast easy solution to that problem CHEEP too ... (I passed that one on years ago ...lol)

Hope it helps ... donno much but knows whats I knows

Yikes!

Last edited by yikes on Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
    RichardP
    RichardP

Post by RichardP Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Good thanks I get it now to check it .

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:24 pm

Will post photo of the significance of the green dot when I locate my owners manual ...

yikes

Post by Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Engine starts in all gears Green211

Engine starts in all gears Green111

OK lets try this again ... hope it makes sense
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:38 am

1st of all,,,,  its as simple as the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH WIRING.  The switch is not supposed to allow you to start the truck in gear. ONLY neutral and in park.  The switch ALSO sends the juice to your revers lights also.  On the C4 it is reversible in position also to allow for different types of transmission shifters according to the application .  On our Econolines the shifter is specific to ours ONLY and not any other vehicle. The switch also has elongated holes on each of the  two mounting bolt flanges to allow it to be adjusted correctly.
     The start circuit of it simply interrupts or connects the start wire on your solenoid on the side of the doghouse. The switch is simply wired in series with that wire from you ignition switch wire that energizes the starter solenoid.  Its very simple and basic.  The TRICK is getting the correct wires hooked up from the NEUTRAL SWITCH as it ALSO controls the back up light circuit if you use it.
     To adjust it, you loosen the two mounting bolts (3/8th socket) and rotate it left or right in park and read the continuity to see that it IS connecting.  Then shift it into gear and it should NOT be connected as the switch is doing its job.  When In reverse ONLY the OTHER two wires should connect for the reverse light connection.  This connection will allow also a full 12 volts to either the lights or a relay for them.
    In regards to the GREEN DOT shifting pattern...........Here is a link that explains it in detail.  It is the older shift pattern and not very good. Its easy to change if you want to by simply changing to a 67 to 72 valve body in the trans. VERY EASY to do....Drop the pan, drop the valve body and put in the preferred later style valve body..
     In regards to the plastic shift indicator plates,, here is a picture of them. I have new ones in stock that I make. NOTE: The Green dot version that has the Red dot is one that I came up with and added the red dot for drive instead of the stock Green Dot version..LOL
    Vic

http://www.charlietranny.com/Fordomatic.htm

Engine starts in all gears 100_1814

Engine starts in all gears 100_1014
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:41 am

OOPZZZZZZ,,,,,, I should have noted that the picture with the shift cable is the conversion that I make and it DOES NOT show or use our Econoline C4 transmission shifter. I posted the picture to show the two adjusting bolts on the neutral safety switch. You loosen them to adjust it so that it will only start in neutral or park and also that it only connects the two wires for the back up lights in neutral at the same time,,,,,
    vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:44 am

KRUD,,, will try to resize the picture of the shift indicator plates,, just noticed,,,
    vic///

Engine starts in all gears 100_1815
    RichardP
    RichardP

Post by RichardP Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks Vic, Pics are fine.
    Might want to get the green dot red dot.
    Got the bucks for the tail shaft deal and will get the MO at THe PO on Thursday, I added in the horn money you sent assuming you did not cash the check.
    Richard

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Engine starts in all gears 100_1014[/quote]

We don't need no Stinkin' Kleen Partz ...look at that tranny ... just a plain disgrace to econo world ... going to start a web site ... NSKP ... dangblast it ... lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:12 am