VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Daytona Carburetors?

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Daytona Carburetors? Empty Daytona Carburetors?

Post by Vantasia Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:07 am

Been having trouble getting good performance out of rebuilt carbs, has anyone tried these newly manufactured Daytona Carbs?

http://www.daytonaparts.com/universal-replacement-carburetor.html   

I called and they said they are made in Argentina but are modeled after Holley model 1940 carbs and are a replacement for Carter and Rochesters, brand new, about $300.  As far as I can find, this is the only new 1 bbl carb on the market, no one else makes any? and NOS are as bad as rebuilt these days. Plus this says its gasohol resistant.  In the sample pics they show one on a '63 Biscayne with a six cyl. should be the same as a van and they can reverse the linkage to pull downward.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Daytona Carburetors? Empty Re: Daytona Carburetors?

Post by Joe Van Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:30 am

OK JMO I have not seen a successful Rebuilt Carb since they started putting ethanol in the gas.!!!. It eats the Lead plating inside the carb NOS will have the same troubles down the road.....Find a new one its worth the extra money the New Carbs metal's are different (no lead plating) and the ethanol does not affect them..Start looking at Holly and Edelbrock carbs maby get a adapter to fit a 2 barrel carb instead.???.. Smile ..
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:39 pm

Joe Van wrote:OK JMO I have not seen a successful Rebuilt Carb since they started putting ethanol in the gas.!!!. It eats the Lead plating inside the carb NOS will have the same troubles down the road.....Find a new one its worth the extra money the New Carbs metal's are different (no lead plating) and the ethanol does not affect them..Start looking at Holly and Edelbrock carbs maby get a adapter to fit a 2 barrel carb instead.???.. Smile ..

So far so good!  I got this carb and installed it, starts almost instant with choke pulled and runs smooth as can be and accelerates fine.  Came with a Napa metal fuel filter and a 90 degree banjo fitting for the inlet. Perfect fit and linkage adjustment, well worth the price....pics to follow...
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:20 pm

Some pics, Daytona Carb installed
    Daytona Carburetors? Gedc0611
    Daytona Carburetors? Gedc0612
    Daytona Carburetors? Gedc0613
    New steel fuel line and filter placement away from hot manifold side.  Sharp viewers will notice the air cleaer riser is from a '66 with PCV tube removed and plugged with an electrical close out since the '64 uses the smaller hose directly to the manifold beneath the carb base.  That's also a vintage NOS AC Delco breather cap I found in an old neighborhood auto parts store...This carb was very simple to install, has one vacuum port and manual choke plus an adjustable high speed main jet!  You set the throttle at about 2000 with a screwdriver holding the lever and turn the screw in and out until peak rpm is reached on a tach, worked like a charm.  I am very pleased with the way it turned out and I highly recommend this carb.  $319 shipped, but when you consider they are getting $200 for rebuilds, not bad, about the cost of one Cragar SS and a tire....well worth it for the performance and peace of mind...(I'm trying to convince myself of the expense here, can't ya tell?, help me out!)....heck, my wife can spend that on a new bag or shoes easy!
    mark-t
    mark-t

Number of posts : 185
    Registration date : 2013-09-16

Post by mark-t Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:45 pm

looks good
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:25 pm

Great Job Look's Factory Installed.!!!.. Very Happy ..I stopped keeping tract how much money I have in mine I am at the point of No Return....I just look at it as a Investment in VANNING.. Smile ... OR you can Look at it this Way if you bought a New 2014 Chevy Van you would spend Twice that Every Month for about 6 years.!!!.. affraid ...                                                         http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Express-RWD-1500-2014-chevrolet-express-cargo-van-rwd-1500-135-upfitter-/321341887178?forcerrptr=true&hash=item4ad17812ca&item=321341887178&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Post by Vantasia Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:59 am

jbass62 wrote:Been having trouble getting good performance out of rebuilt carbs, has anyone tried these newly manufactured Daytona Carbs?

http://www.daytonaparts.com/universal-replacement-carburetor.html   

I called and they said they are made in Argentina but are modeled after Holley model 1904 carbs and are a replacement for Carter and Rochesters, brand new, about $300.  As far as I can find, this is the only new 1 bbl carb on the market, no one else makes any? and NOS are as bad as rebuilt these days. Plus this says its gasohol resistant.  In the sample pics they show one on a '63 Biscayne with a six cyl. should be the same as a van and they can reverse the linkage to pull downward.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:02 am