VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
G-Man
Bruce67Econoline
6 posters

Has anyone put a vintage air conditioner in

Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Has anyone put a vintage air conditioner in  Empty Has anyone put a vintage air conditioner in

Post by Bruce67Econoline Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:24 am

I am thinking about putting a vintage air conditioner system in my 67 falcon window. I have the 240 i6 with automatic. Has anybody done this? Does it rob to much power from the engine. Is there a special bracket for condenser. Do I need to change the pulley on the crank? Will it fit in the doghouse Etc?
    Thanks all
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Has anyone put a vintage air conditioner in  Empty Re: Has anyone put a vintage air conditioner in

Post by G-Man Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:40 am

I have seem them in a few vans
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Has anyone put a vintage air conditioner in  Empty Re: Has anyone put a vintage air conditioner in

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:41 am

Just call Vintage air & they have a large teck in website too. cheers 
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:47 am

This has been discussed before but, yes, others have installed AC in E100s. The van in my picture had a custom built AC back when nobody had any. I lived in Az., at the time, in 1976. I had an oversized doghouse , for the 351, and the compressor bracket was off of a LTD and used a York compressor, with valves that can be used to allow the compressor to vacuum the system. The condenser was mounted under the van between the frame rail and the outer body panel and had an electric fan on it. The fan could be turned off when the van was moving because of the air scoop mounted behind the front wheel well. Where there is a will there is a way.
    Bruce67Econoline
    Bruce67Econoline

Number of posts : 809
    Registration date : 2014-01-25

Post by Bruce67Econoline Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:37 am

I found a 64 dealer install unit a true vintage I have a mercury for my 64 f100, running a 292 bored 40 over. Does anybody know of a shop on the east coast that can recondition these units. All of the chrome is spot less, and I love me a little extra bling when ever I can squeeze it in! cyclops 
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:37 am

I'm pretty sure most AC shops could help you out. Those units were a universal fit so as long as you have a good compressor and a lot of new ho$e ($$$$$) they should be able to help you out. Shop around to get the best price. They can use 134A that will be a lot cheaper.
    Casimier
    Casimier

Number of posts : 864
    Registration date : 2010-07-26

Post by Casimier Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 am

Hey Bruce

Vintage air told me they don't have brackets for a 240 or 300 for the sanden compressor on the passenger side.  On the 240 & 300 our alternator is on the driver side. I had to make my own brackets when I put the ac in my econo.
    Enlarged the doghouse on the passenger side with a passenger bump out piece from another doghouse.
    Put the condenser under the deck behind the passenger front wheel with a fan.
    Email me for pics
    Jim in NJ aka Casimier
    surfcasimier@yahoo.com
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:05 pm

I remember talking to somebody at Petit Jean and they said that it worked ok if you were moving and it was blowing right on you?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:05 am