VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Mercedes diesel

64 Hooch Hauler
    64 Hooch Hauler

Number of posts : 84
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Mercedes diesel Empty Mercedes diesel

Post by 64 Hooch Hauler Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:32 pm

Just curious, but has anyone ever looked into swapping in one of the turbo diesel motor and trannys from a 300 series Mercedes? Looks like it would fit nice, but transmission length is unknown. They get good mileage (23-33 mpg) in a car that weighs 7-800. Lbs more. They are a little more aerodynamic though.
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Mercedes diesel Empty Re: Mercedes diesel

Post by Dawgboy Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:11 pm

My brother recently offered me the entire drivetrain from an 87 300TD wagon that has 150K on it. I'm seriously thinking on it. Thing is the care is 500 miles away, has no title, and was rearended so not driveable. Thinking about driving up there this summer and doing the conversion in his shop for a 2 week "vacation". He has a full machine shop so it could be done... Just don't know that I want to dump my /6 just yet.
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Post by pan58head Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:44 am

over ar vcvc , onehandydad has a 4bt in his van. Do a search and there is some pictures of the motor in the van
    64 Hooch Hauler
    64 Hooch Hauler

Number of posts : 84
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

Post by 64 Hooch Hauler Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:54 am

Love the 4BT!
    On the MB, check the driveshaft. Mine was a 2 piece, and thin. Rear gears are also something to look at.
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:14 pm

I have a 300 Diesel in a 78. Clearly they are one of the best automotive diesels (hi revving to about 4500 rpm) ever made. However, to last a long time they need to have their valves adjusted about every 12-15K miles and one needs to add a little motor oil to the fuel to help with the zinc and sulpher now removed from US diesel. Coolest thing is they will burn about anything that has ALL the water removed from KY Jelly to old veggie oil. I have seen, because Benz trannys are pricey, people mount other transmissions on adapters. I think Kennedy and some of the other adaptator places sell them.

Mine too is a two piece drive shaft. That is where I would make the change not at the transmission yoke as it isn't designed to hang a shaft and a floating rear end.

Good luck and please keep us posted if you swap, happy motoring!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 7:06 pm