VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+13
vanny
Seth G
Donn
Old Skool
RipVanArkie
econopoor
66ThunderVan
G-Man
Joe Van
EconoUSAparts
neondv8
kookykrispy
twinlinemoto
17 posters

I crashed my 63 e truck

twinlinemoto
    twinlinemoto

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2013-01-02

I crashed my 63 e truck Empty I crashed my 63 e truck

Post by twinlinemoto Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:43 am

Yesterday was a very sad day for me, on my way to Portland for a motorcycle shoe I spun out and hit the wall. I need to get my truck back to Seattle and find a place to take it to start the rebuilding process. I hit the front left corner pretty good, the door is buckled and the cab is far from straight. Anyone have suggestions on where to take it for the bodywork?
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

I crashed my 63 e truck Empty Re: I crashed my 63 e truck

Post by kookykrispy Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:50 am

I'm very sorry to hear that! For this kind of work, there is only one person and one shop I would recommend:  Spencer Cochran.  SC AutoKraft.  He is in South Prairie, which is up on the hill past puyallup, just south from Bonney Lake.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SC-AutoKraft-LLC/133376193377562

They do only vintage and classic cars.  

Spencer and his boys fixed my '68 camaro and did it the right way.  It was hammered in the back and needed all new metal from the doors back, including all new back half and frame rails.  His prices are reasonable.  Not cheap, but not a rip-off.  He is honest and he does very good work.  It sounds like your truck will probably have to go on the frame rack, which is how they got my camaro square again.  He does alot of mopars, so your van will be in good company.  Tell him Joe Russell referred you.
    twinlinemoto
    twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:58 am

Thank you! Also, does anyone have experience with collector car insurance?
    neondv8
    neondv8

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2012-04-04

Post by neondv8 Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:08 pm

twinlinemoto wrote:Yesterday was a very sad day for me, on my way to Portland for a motorcycle shoe I spun out and hit the wall. I need to get my truck back to Seattle and find a place to take it to start the rebuilding process. I hit the front left corner pretty good, the door is buckled and the cab is far from straight. Anyone have suggestions on where to take it for the bodywork?
    the maaco in shoreline,wa works on a lot of classic cars and truck. he did my van's body work and paint.
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:41 pm

twinlinemoto wrote:Thank you! Also, does anyone have experience with collector car insurance?

I have my old stuff insured with Hagerty, but I have never had to make a claim… so I wish you good luck! If you talk to Spencer, vintage/classic cars is all he does, so I would imagine he is pretty familiar with dealing with the collector's insurance.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:07 pm

Jim Bulger on site here has a lot of experience with it recently. He knows all the ins and outs of it. He had 2 of his wrecked at the same time.
    Also let me know if you need any parts,I have several parts rigs here.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:46 am

SORRY to hear about your Early truck. Sad ..That FEAR is in the back of my mind every time I take my Early out for a Ride..I remember Very Well when Jim (Blue Lemon) had that accident the Blue Econo was fixable with a right rear quarter panel some body work and paint the Red Early was a total loss and was one of my favorite Early's... I think to this day he still has it...I have Grundy Insurance with my Earley but luckily I never had a claim with them...... On the other hand I have State Farm on my other 2 Vans and had a claim last summer on the way back from a Van Show in Orlando with my 1975 Chevy. I was on I-75 going about 65 mph pulling our 23ft camper and hit a piece of steel in the road and blew out my left rear tire by time I got it stopped and pulled to the side of the highway it did 2k in damage on the body and paint the next day they sent a adjuster out and cut me a check no problem it was the only accident claim on that Van since my parents bought it back in 1979 . Very Happy ......Jim went to the CC so should be home some time tonight or tomorrow........GOOD LUCK........JOE VAN......I crashed my 63 e truck 13998610I crashed my 63 e truck 14190510I crashed my 63 e truck 14231410         A month later and all fixed up,,,The body shop had to paint the whole left side.!!!.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:45 am

I'm also sorry to hear this, hope it not real bad so you can fix it
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:00 am

Bummer Dude! Sorry! BTDT. Let us know if you need anything.
    twinlinemoto
    twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:18 am

Thank you all for the sympathy and help! Here she is:I crashed my 63 e truck 1622812_10152576346838294_1955721404_n_zps69af557d

I will certainly need a new driver side door and front bumper, possibly a grill and some shift linkage steering and pedal parts. I will be calling SC autokraft today to see if they are willing to take it on. Let me know if you guys have any parts I can buy!
    66ThunderVan
    66ThunderVan

Number of posts : 384
    Registration date : 2012-01-08

Post by 66ThunderVan Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:34 am

Looks like most of the impact was up around the headlight bucket. If the frame rail is ok that is repairable. You will need a door. Thankfully, you didn't get the windshield.
    twinlinemoto
    twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Just talked with Spencer from SC autokraft, he sounds like a winner and is ready to do battle with my insurance company as well as work with me to find any parts necessary. I like him already!
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:27 pm

To buckle a door like that, the door pillar was pushed back considerably. That's going to be hard to fix. Look in the footwell and on the floor for buckling. That's a pretty good lick. I'd let a few bodyshops have a look at it and see if it can be pulled back into shape. You may be better off swapping your drivetrain into another body. These things are made out of some thick steel and it doesn't like to move. Good luck on the repairs.

Duane in Tennessee.
    twinlinemoto
    twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:36 pm

The floor is buckled a bit. We will see how it goes.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:39 pm

Glad you are Okay, best of luck on the rebuild!

2013 MidSouth Econoline Meet
    Host of the MidSouth Econoline Meet, Petit Jean State Park, AR
    1967 Econoline Pickup
    1966 Econoline Supervan
    1967 Econoline 8-door regular van
    1965 ChevyVan, Cargo, 250/3speed

1964 Econoline 8-door Window Van, 4spd
    1966 Falcon SuperVan, Automatic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:44 am

BEST thing is that your okay,,, NASTY lick in the front and agree that the pillar is bent, and highly suspect you will find a buckle in the frame area behind the steering box.
      The pillar is hollow and will be a bear to straighten correctly. I have seen a lot of doors that dont fit right when hit less than that yours has been hit. No matter what the shop does, if the pillar isnt exactly on the money the door cant be adjusted to fit correctly. Vans and pickups identical to each other. 
      If Tim cant help you firstly, let me know.
    vic
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:20 pm

econopoor wrote:To buckle a door like that, the door pillar was pushed back considerably. That's going to be hard to fix. Look in the footwell and on the floor for buckling. That's a pretty good lick. I'd let a few bodyshops have a look at it and see if it can be pulled back into shape. You may be better off swapping your drivetrain into another body. These things are made out of some thick steel and it doesn't like to move. Good luck on the repairs.

Duane in Tennessee.
    I agree with Duane, that looks like it will have a lot of "hidden" damage. The framework on these pretty much suck. They are paper thin and you have a lot of stuff connected to the frame were you were hit. As much as they might say they can fix it, you may have a lot of problems they don't see yet.
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:45 pm

I see a lot of good solid trucks cheap in the northwest on Craigslist. Even if you have to drive a few hours to get one I think you would be way ahead of trying to straighten yours. I know it's hard to give up on one after you've put so much work and love into it. Now I see your wanting to upgrade to a 200 while it's down. This is a no brainer. You need to start fresh with a new truck. Build the truck you want this time. Find a good body and a 200. Get everything else from your wrecked truck and the insurance money to paint it. I don't mean to be harsh but that is the best way to go here by far.

Duane in Tennessee
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:04 pm

That's a shame. Looks like it was a pretty nice one. I'd surprised if the floor and step weren't buckled. I've seen 5 window pick ups come up fairly cheap on craigslist from time to time. There was a 5 window came up on CL from Cle Elum, I want to say they asked $900 for it. Saw another a while back in Spokane I think, 2 pickups asking $2400, I think one was a 5 window.
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:07 am

That is going to be a HARD Fix the cab looks Buckled.!!. I hate to say it but your Best and Cheapest way out may be to find another body and change everything over ..I am with Everyone also I dont think you will ever get a new door to line up right.. Crying or Very sad ....JMO
    twinlinemoto
    twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:39 am

Well SC autokraft has the truck, we are waiting for the insurance company to figure out what they are going to do. I got a call yesterday from the insurance company and they were looking for comparables for sale to figure out the value of my truck and cant find anything within 150 miles (not surprising). I offered to give the lady a few examples of E trucks values that are not for sale but she did not seem too excited about it. What would you guys do? I am going to hold the "replace the truck" card off as long as possible. Spencer at SC feels that the truck is fixable and I agree. As long as the insurance company can fund the rebuild that is the route we will go.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:44 am

Look at Ebay completed auctions for comparables. Asking prices are worthless.
    twinlinemoto
    twinlinemoto

Post by twinlinemoto Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:00 pm

Well the best I could get out of them was $7500, which still rendered my truck "totaled". Good news there is if your truck is 25+years old your title does not get branded when the vehicle is totaled and you choose to keep it. I will have to surrender my title, and get it re-inspected after the rebuild, but that should be a breeze. I have money in hand and am going to bring it to Spencer at SC Autokraft tomorrow to start the rebuild! I posted in the wanted section, but I need a nice driver side door and a good 200 donor motor, preferably local to the western wa area. Thanks!
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:30 pm

Good Luck to you! I hope it comes out Great! Keep sending pics!

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow
    Daslowguy710
    Daslowguy710

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2013-12-03

Post by Daslowguy710 Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:45 pm

The payoff seams low was that with the salvage bid value deducted ,how much is the salvage bid and you can demand to see the salvage bid and the comparables and DONT be afraid to call the contact for the comps and confirm info
    I had a claim on a very rare street legal vintage race bike where the ins adjuster faked the comps and salvage bid I called to confirm and busted him I then renegotiated the pay off for around the true cash value and I kept the bike with a clean pink in California and just because they say it's worth bla bla dollars doesn't mean you have to accept that if you can show others valued higher or your has recent work
    Comparing an truck with a nice strip and refinish job ,new suspect,mechanical ect to one pulled out of a field and cheap paint job parts replaced only as nec is a joke but that is just about what happens
    Save receipt and photo document work done for these times

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 4:51 am