VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Trannies in trouble need help

ramian09
    ramian09

Number of posts : 167
    Registration date : 2010-01-26

Trannies in trouble need help Empty Trannies in trouble need help

Post by ramian09 January 12th 2014, 18:11

So out of nowhere my transmission stopped going into third and fourth. Mostly it would only go into first with a seldom successful attempt into revers. I first thought that it was the steering column or something with the linkage in between me and the tranny. So I unhooked the linkage from the tranny in hopes that I could manually put it in second or third to
    Limp home. No luck it still only went into first even fully unhooked. I couldnt even mussel it in to second or third by hand. I was Able to get to a friends house And now it will not go into any gears. Is my tranny blown or what?
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Trannies in trouble need help Empty Re: Trannies in trouble need help

Post by Old Skool January 12th 2014, 22:07

That sounds like when I was a kid.  Racing back to the shop and late for my lunch break.  It locked up in third and put me up over a kurb,,,,,,,,,,Pushed in the clutch and it made no difference!!!!   Rear seal had gone and all the transmisson oil had leaked out!!!!   Trans was toast!!!
       What year truck and what sized motor do you have??  It sounds like yours is done also.  Your picture looks like yours is 4whl drive??  
    vic
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 January 12th 2014, 22:17

I have a 240 and it's a 1966. Yeah it's a 4x4. You don't think that would blow up are tranny do you? I know it's more stress and all but that was the same tranny they used in broncos for years. It was supposedly a new rebuilt tranny but I have read some bad reviews about the guy I bought it from and have had some problems with the other stuff I bought from him. I'm starting to thing that all his stuff is crap. Anyways unless I hear different I'm going to rip it out tomorrow and take it to the local tranny shop.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 January 12th 2014, 23:19

I don't know what kind of transmission you have but if you have a 4 speed, you have 3 lockouts that prevent the trans from shifting into each gear unless the other 2 lockouts are in neutral,,,,,so you need to unhook all 3 rods or cables and put them in neutral and see if you get them to start working,,,,,also if you have a side cover, you can take it off and check the lockouts to see if that is your problem or it is in the trans,,,,
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool January 12th 2014, 23:56

As you said you disconnected everything and cannot get it to shift then that would tell me its not the linkage which had been my first thought until I read what you HAD said already. The detents keeping two gears from engaging at once. Is it a 4spd or a three spd?
      With the 240 it would have the big bell which is the same as this Bronco trans in the picture hooked up to an automatic with which has the big bell also. Does yours look like this tbox,,,, The box wouldnt stop the trans from shifting, but low on oil would or could sieze it up in a gear. There should be a drain on the bottom of the trans,, go ahead and drain it into a pan or better yet a glass jar and look for metal or even to see IF there is even an oil left in it.
    vic
    Trannies in trouble need help 100_1511

Trannies in trouble need help 100_1512
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 January 13th 2014, 07:11

Yeah I'm pretty suited that is my transfer case I have.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 January 13th 2014, 18:44

Its a three speed
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool January 13th 2014, 21:53

Does it bolt up to the Econoline transmission??  that would open up some doors??  4spd preferred though for crawling,,,,  have you checked the oil out yet,,,, should be a pipe plug drain on the bottom of it,,
    vic
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 January 14th 2014, 13:54

I just got the transmission out and will be taking it to the tranny shop shortly. Yeah my transfer case and transmission are married/ bolted together. And as far as I know its the same three speed that all econolines have. I checked the oil and there is metal shavings in it. I also have looked down in the tranny since taking it out and to my untrained eye it doesn't look that bad.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 January 14th 2014, 17:52

Trannies in trouble need help Dsc_0011
    This is a pick of my tranny and transfer case.
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 January 14th 2014, 17:55

Trannies in trouble need help Dsc_0012

Trannies in trouble need help Dsc_0013

more pics
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 January 14th 2014, 18:50

did you  take the cover off and see if the shifter forks were still in place?
    ramian09
    ramian09

Post by ramian09 January 14th 2014, 20:28

Yeah I took the shifter covers off and I didn't really know what I was looking at. I saw two forks that would slide a little ways but still wouldn't go into gear????
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 January 14th 2014, 21:27

The lockouts need to be in Neutral before it lets the side levers shift into 1st or Reverse or 2nd and 3rd,,,,,,so if you turn the input shaft of the transmission it does not seem like the side levers are shifting into the gears?
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool January 16th 2014, 21:01

I think each of the two shifters are each attached to a shift rod for each shfiter inside the transmission. The shift rod then moves sliders that move the gears into each other to engage a gear. On that shaft there are detents ground into the shaft with a spring loaded ball bearing that pushes into the detents and locates the gear shift slider exactly in position. You can feel the detents work when you shift it by hand on the trans. When a gear is engaged, that shaft will not let the other shifter move. If both shifters are in neutral either shifter will move.

So, if a gear is seized and it will not disengage then it would not let the other gear move from its neutral position and shift. Turning the input shaft would only show that its stuck in a gear but have nothing to do with the neutral gates. 
      As the T box is actually just another transmission bolted to the main transmission if it was stuck in high or low or neutral it also would have nothing to do with the 3spd not shifting.
    Vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool January 16th 2014, 21:03

Forgot the say THANK YOU for the pictures,, ,never can have enough of them for the tech albums...
    Vic--------betting on a seized gear... sorry and hoping for the best.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is May 19th 2024, 08:30