VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Headlight Trim Ring Mount Repair!

Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Headlight Trim Ring Mount Repair! Empty Headlight Trim Ring Mount Repair!

Post by Vantasia Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:49 am

This subject came up over at VCVC and I'd like to share it here.  Seems my van is not the only one with corroded and broken headlight trim ring mounting tabs, a common problem.  Here's a fix I came up using some copper 1/2" pipe clamps attached with self tapping sheet metal screws to replace the tabs.  The copper is soft enough to drill easy and won't corrode.  I replaced three tabs this way and it works great. Here's the pics:
    Headlight Trim Ring Mount Repair! Gedc0521
    Headlight Trim Ring Mount Repair! Gedc0522

They are a bit shorter than the original tabs so you need a longer screw....Probably been done before?  I was gonna make them from scrap metal and I saw one of these in a parts can and the idea came to me....also, notice that on the one good upper left tab, I used a slip on speed nut since the hole was stripped....

Last edited by jbass62 on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    millwright71
    millwright71

Number of posts : 531
    Registration date : 2012-05-28

Headlight Trim Ring Mount Repair! Empty Re: Headlight Trim Ring Mount Repair!

Post by millwright71 Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:06 pm

That is a great idea! Should help lots of vanners out there. My headlight buckets were in sad shape, If they weren't already removed, and slated for replacement this would be happening to them for sure.
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Thu May 08, 2014 9:23 am

Brilliant! Thanks!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:48 am