VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
donivan65
thepotz
6 posters

fuel boiling out of carb into intake problem!

thepotz
    thepotz

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2013-09-21

fuel boiling out of carb into intake problem! Empty fuel boiling out of carb into intake problem!

Post by thepotz Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:12 pm

Ok, so I have a 67 second gen w/ 230. the original carb boiled fuel out of the carb down the intake about 60sec. after parking, so I made a spacer out of wood, thinking maybe the heat transfer from the intake was too much. Also checked exhaust intake heat flapper, and it is working properly. Thought maybe the fuel pump was over-pressurizing, so I bought an elec. fuel pump....nothing changed. So I thought, maybe the float seat. rebuilt carb, new float seat, still boils over. So then I bought a holley economiser carb for it New in the box. (NOS). Still have the same problem. It is 36* outside, and it still boils over! Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what is the solution?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

fuel boiling out of carb into intake problem! Empty Re: fuel boiling out of carb into intake problem!

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:35 pm

Boiling over is normal for a van,,,,,,,,,,,you need to cut it down as best you can,,,,,,,get the fuel line away from the thermostat housing,,,,,,wrap it or run it over the valve cover,,,,,,,put a fan on the bellypan to blow cold air up into the radiator to cool  the carb down and get rid of the fumes,,,,,,,I would not leave home without mine,,,,,the carb is vented into the doghouse,,,,,,thats life,,,,,,,so it only smells or boils over after the engine is hot and it sets???  otherwise it acts normal???    that is called heat soak,,,,,,is the engine running hot?

Last edited by donivan65 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    thepotz
    thepotz

fuel boiling out of carb into intake problem! Empty Re: fuel boiling out of carb into intake problem!

Post by thepotz Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:42 pm

Engine runs normal temp 180-190 but it boils after sitting. I thought the wood spacer would be the fix, but I'm gonna try an alum plate under the carb
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Donivan! You're saying route your fuel line around the back of the valve cover (L6) rather than the front?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:07 pm

fuel boiling out of carb into intake problem! Repair37
    thepotz
    thepotz

Post by thepotz Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Think i'm gonna try clothes pins!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:05 pm

This is the only thing that works,,,,,,,

fuel boiling out of carb into intake problem! Vanfan10
    thepotz
    thepotz

Post by thepotz Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:09 am

it stays on for a few mins after shutdown?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:33 am

I have an on/off switch and a 60 minute twist timer for ceiling fans that I set it and forget it when I park the van in the garage or stop somewhere and don't want the fumes inside or loading up the carb and making a spectical  out of myself trying to start a flooded engine,,,,,,,,,I call it my hamburger fan,,,,,,,,nothing worst than trying to eat a hamburger with all that gas smell around you,,,,$15 at the Pik a Part 1/2 price sale,,,,,,,it will also cool the doghouse down which cools you down,,,,,,,,when I am towing or going up a mountain, or trying to get through Los Angeles traffic,,,,,I can turn it on to lower the coolant temperature also,,,,,,,,I think it is mandatory for a Vintage Van,,,,,,,,

fuel boiling out of carb into intake problem! Twist_10
    thepotz
    thepotz

Post by thepotz Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:44 am

awesome idea, I think I have a fan from a geo metro I had a while back
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:57 am

after uve done all the above?? put some wooden clothes pins on the metal fuel line going to carb-IM =NOT KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!cheers 
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:43 pm

I would say you might help a vapor lock problem which is no fuel to the carb with some clothes pins,,,,,,but that carb is sitting in over 300 degrees heat that has nowhere to go but up into the doghouse,,,,,,and boil the gas out of the carb,,,,,,

fuel boiling out of carb into intake problem! Repair39
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:11 am

GM made a heat sheild for 6s that fits between the carb and the manifolds. So hard to get and too pricey when they do show. And, sorry I don't know the part number.

However, my fix--a standard fix, as these engines run hot was just to install a thermostatically run electric fan up front of the radiator and leave the fan on the water pump. Gets great cooling even in slow traffic AND the fan comes on and off for a little while after shut down and cools the parts and ventilates the doghouse. Since, they two fans are techincally redundant, neither one has to be oversized or super duper.

Good luck yet yours is pretty much the same as all of ours. Especially if one lives down South.

Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:46 am

Hate to suggest this - a metal fuel line -usually steel or copper =will soak up the heat !!!!!!!!!!! You can run some pipe insulation over them also - yet i use rubber lines and keep them away from the things that burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers Remember also =if you run any fuel filters?? put them in the lines closest to the fuel pump- never on top of an engine -best to use the metal canister types -never =PLASTIC!!!!!!!!!! affraid 
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Thu May 08, 2014 9:47 am

Ditto that. Keeping rubber fuel lines away from heat and steel fuel filter low or on the cool side is way important. Those cheapo, plastice fuel filters on top have been the death nell of many a fine old vehicle--especially air cooled VWs. The two things, other than stupid drivers, that seem to do us in is wet carpeting and plastic fuel filters.
    mikeysly
    mikeysly

Number of posts : 284
    Registration date : 2012-05-29

Post by mikeysly Fri May 09, 2014 6:20 am

so what is the coolest part of the doghouse? back cooler than front?  passenger cooler than driver?
    Vantasia
    Vantasia

Number of posts : 1412
    Registration date : 2013-08-18

Post by Vantasia Fri May 09, 2014 6:50 am

Here is my set up with the metal line over the top with Taylor fuel line insulation, ( http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-2503/overview/ )seems to help plus, taking a tip from Donivan, when I bring into garage I use a small floor fan I place under the air louvers until it cools down....all the original engine pics I have seen show a metal line over the top as being the original way the factory did it.  No rubber lines around the front were used.  Metal line is easy to get, any auto store sells 5/16" brake tubing and you bend it with a cheap tubing bender.  They come with pre-flared ends or you can flare it yourself, easy to do...
    fuel boiling out of carb into intake problem! Gedc0817
    Also note, metal filter away from engine but between fuel pump and carb, this is also important, do not put the filter before the pump with a carbed engine, that only works for FI.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 4:16 pm