VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

Oil from Exhaust Port

ScottyJones
    ScottyJones

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-08-17

Oil from Exhaust Port Empty Oil from Exhaust Port

Post by ScottyJones Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:42 pm

So i've noticed a small dribble of oil coming down the side of the engine case right underneath the #6 exhaust port. I had originally thought it was a leaky valve cover gasket, but now I think it's coming form the actual exhaust port.

I did a compression test. Don't recall exact numbers now, but #6 was significantly lower than the rest. I put a teaspoon of oil in the spark plug hole and it did make the number jump a bit. Am I looking at a worn out ring here or a leaky valve? I bought this motor a little over a year ago, apparently rebuilt, and have only put about 6 thousand miles on it since then.

The van is running fine...no noticeable loss of power and it is not smoking at all. Should I just keep an eye on it? Any advice?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Oil from Exhaust Port Empty Re: Oil from Exhaust Port

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:08 pm

I would still say valve cover,,,,,even if the oil survived the 300 degrees in the exhaust port/manifold,,,,,,it cant get out through the gasket,,,,,,look closer above the alternator,,,see if it is not flowing back towards the rear of the engine,,,,,,,or lay paper towels along the valve cover gasket,,,,,,see if it absorbs any leaking oil,,,,,see if the PCV valve/hose aint leaking  ,,,,its job is to suck out oil fumes,,,,,,
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:26 pm

pulled spark plugs?? any oily?? if not -ill say valve cover gasket again!! dont use a rubber gasket too!! Cork only & seal to cover only!!cheers 
    ChevyVanMan1

Number of posts : 425
    Registration date : 2009-07-19

Post by ChevyVanMan1 Thu May 08, 2014 9:34 am

I my book no need to worry about compression if running smooth--not a perfectionist. However, because the engine leans back a bit most of the oil that leaks around the valve cover gasket (most leak something) will flow back to the rear of the engine and then down the engine--especially if van sits more than it runs. And, please resist the urge to use RTV or some other silicone sealant on your valve cover gaskets because just a little glob of it sucked into you oil gallery can do mucho damage.

I agree with the other poster as it's unlikely to be coming out of exhaust manifold as it really burns too hot inside and outside for oil to pass as oil will burn before it accumulates from getting past the pistons rings.

I say turn up the radio, open the windows and drive. My 2 cents anyway.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Thu May 08, 2014 8:29 pm

Having been an auto mechanic for more than 30 years, what you are describing
    is caused from the cyl having an oil consumption issue, weak rings or even bad valve
    guides and or seals, I have seen bore than one 305 leak oil from an exhaust port.
    How bad is your oil consumption?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:27 am