VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
dodge man
coprinoid
6 posters

Car stereo installation...

coprinoid
    coprinoid

Number of posts : 21
    Registration date : 2013-05-17

Car stereo installation... Empty Car stereo installation...

Post by coprinoid Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Hey all, So I am preparing to go into the body restoration phase of the 8-door shorty window van project...My next move after that is complete will be the sound system...so I am asking for your suggestions...

I currently have four (4) 6 x 9's, a deck, and on 10 inch Subwoofer.

I do not need to take people's breath away, just want clear, crisp sounds...

Are there specific areas in an A100 where speakers are best placed? Would anyone suggest any other equipment? (amps, more SW's, anything?)

I will be custom paneling the inside, so speakers can go wherever...

I really appreciate any suggestions from those of you experienced in car stereo installation...also, I plan to install the deck in my "glove box" as I will control everything from my phone most likely....
    Car stereo installation... 18446711

i don't need this....
    Car stereo installation... 94458810
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Car stereo installation... Empty Re: Car stereo installation...

Post by dodge man Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:57 pm

i have 4 4x4s 2 are in the wall behind the front seats and 2 are in the panel in front of the bed, and a 10'' sub with 2 channel amp under the bed, you'll deffently want to install a cap to save your alternator and battery from surges if you run a amp, with a sub,
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Heck, the only thing I've got in my running van is an autozone head unit with a couple 6X9s that stick to the doghouse under the front seats and a pair of old home stereo boxes (probably more 6X9s) sitting right behind the seat.
    The real old school rule was to spend half your budget on the speakers, the rest on the head unit and amps.

I'd say that you should spend at least a quarter of your budget if not half on sound deadening. The best sound you can buy is going to fight the empty drum with an engine inside until you get the inside quiet. THEN fill it with tunes...
    lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Post by lws67 Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:14 am

The options are endless. I like the "less is more" approach. I had my 6x9's in boxes mounted to brackets that attached to the rear roof supports and a 12" sub near the rear wheel tub for years, but always had to really crank it to get good sound on the road. Then recently I bought all new equipment and decided to mount the speakers just behind the seats and put the sub on the doghouse. Used shelving brackets for a no drill into van install, everything is "press and slip fit"......and the sound is incredible. Don't have to run at max to hear over the road noise. My speakers have tweeters that swivel so one can aim them at the listener and it makes a difference!

Car stereo installation... A100_s12Car stereo installation... A100_s13
    Car stereo installation... A100_s14
    ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Number of posts : 357
    Registration date : 2011-05-01

Post by ndjarrett Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:58 am

Damn, how you keep the front window panes from popin out when ya git that cranked? Razz 
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:30 am

Deaf Maybe?? or no glass??affraid 
    lws67
    lws67

Number of posts : 193
    Registration date : 2012-06-20

Post by lws67 Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:42 pm

ndjarrett wrote:Damn, how you keep the front window panes from popin out when ya git that cranked?  Razz 
    I thought about that! The place I bought my equipment from gave me a demo of one of their systems installed.  They mentioned stuff breaks and they needed glass retainers but were still looking for more SPL (sound pressure level).....Really insane some of the systems out there. My setup is kid stuff, but Robin Trower suuuuuuure sounds even more awesome now!Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:06 pm