VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+11
Randall711
Magic Bus
Dawgboy
Das Boot
Barnabas
Leather & Steel
G-Man
RichardP
dix
RipVanArkie
pilotmtnraider
15 posters

Getting burned out!!!

pilotmtnraider
    pilotmtnraider

Number of posts : 65
    Registration date : 2008-05-30

Getting burned out!!! Empty Getting burned out!!!

Post by pilotmtnraider Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm getting burned out on my 65 Econoline project. It seems there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Any suggestions on how to keep motivated?? I really don't want to give up and sell it but it seems a little overwhelming at this point. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Getting burned out!!! Empty Re: Getting burned out!!!

Post by RipVanArkie Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:24 pm

Go to a van show! There is no greater motivation other than that first ride in your van. Go for a ride with another local vanner in their early. go back through the forums and gallery and see what others are doing.

Dont spread yourself out all over the project, make progress in ONE area until you can see that you have indeed accomplished something.

2013 MidSouth Econoline Meet
    Host of the MidSouth Econoline Meet, Petit Jean State Park, AR
    1967 Econoline Pickup
    1966 Econoline Supervan
    1967 Econoline 8-door regular van
    1965 ChevyVan, Cargo, 250/3speed

1964 Econoline 8-door Window Van, 4spd
    1966 Falcon SuperVan, Automatic
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:46 pm

Rip Van Arkie that is some good tips. Also you can't do to many hours on itor you will burn out, Work on it 1 to 1 1/2 hr's a day and walk away. still spend time with family and friends, .But Do go out and go for a ride in someones earlie That is what Alpine Express did to me , And I will always pay that forward... And as Rip said Finish one thing and then move to the next.

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2013-08-10

Post by RichardP Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:04 pm

Never look at the mountain look at the steps. Do each step to the best of your ability.
    Con-grates on each step, then move on. Its not easy that's for sure. Its also not about the money either. Its hobby first: Think Golfers, Sailers, Fisherman's, Motor Boaters. They toss a lot of money into the ocean, and on the fairway.
    pilotmtnraider
    pilotmtnraider

Post by pilotmtnraider Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:10 pm

That's some great advice. Thanks guys for the inspiration. Now I need to find a show close to the east coast.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:30 pm

Work on the small stuff and it will add up to big stuff, but you have to work on it. Not alot just enough to seem like it's going some place.
    Leather & Steel
    Leather & Steel

Number of posts : 30
    Registration date : 2013-08-30

Post by Leather & Steel Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:03 pm

I agree with these posts.... I was getting overwhelmed on my Vuck with a short time frame to finish. So I went to the shop one day and said to myself "today I need to see results" so I picked the passenger door with a few holes and a big ass dent.... I took the door to another area of the shop and just worked on it.... welded, dent pulled, rough ground, bondoed, sanded, primed.... I lost track of time but when it was over the door looked awesome. I hung it back on the truck and instantly I saw my way through the next "bite" of the project and from there on there was no stopping me.
    Barnabas
    Barnabas
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2011
    Registration date : 2011-01-16

Post by Barnabas Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:27 pm

I was just up your way a few weeks ago to buy a 1967 Econo near Wytheville. If I had known, I would have stopped by to visit. We'll get together someday.
    Das Boot
    Das Boot

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

Post by Das Boot Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:30 pm

I usually try to mix it up... I'm currently doing body work and am really getting burned out on it. I kinda bit off more than what I planned on so I'm planning on doing some mechanical work - ie rear axle. There's enough different things to do to keep it interesting. I plan on giving the body work a break mid stream - it's not going anywhere. By time I get done with axle, I'm sure I'll be more than happy to go back to the sanding, grinding, hammering and welding... Keep it fresh and remember, it's not a job. You started this for a reason.
    Dawgboy
    Dawgboy

Number of posts : 278
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

Post by Dawgboy Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:27 pm

Man, I know that feeling... Took me two months to install the wiring harness, and there was a point where I was really confused and frustrated, and I got a frend that wrenches for a living come straiten me out on the ignition and charge circuit, and that night we fired it up for the first time in 6 months, and the burn out melted away.Just keep moving, and think of how to eat an elephant, one bite at a time!
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Pilot I feel your pain, Ive sweated my brains out this summer, and last summer we had a record breaking heat wave, sweat, sweat and sweat some more...it does take its toll,  these things are old and some of them, like mine needed dang near everything rebuilt or replaced...Im in the final stages of painting now, after owning it for 4 years and working on it consistently but not always.

I am seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, but I dont know if it will ever be done, and now that Ive done it so long sometimes I feel wierd if a week goes by and I don't mess with it?

I have backed off for other projects, family, surgery, etc...whatever seemed to jump up in front of it in the to do or priority list.

Keep surfing around here, look at pics, think of ways to make it your own, colors, themes, exhaust, interiors, decals etc..

Hang in there....we'll leave the light on for you.
    pilotmtnraider
    pilotmtnraider

Post by pilotmtnraider Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:31 am

I was just up your way a few weeks ago to buy a 1967 Econo near Wytheville. If I had known, I would have stopped by to visit. We'll get together someday.

I wish I had known Barnabas, I work in Wytheville would have gladly met you. And thanks for all the advice guys. You guys have some great ideas I will definitely give them a try.
    Randall711
    Randall711

Number of posts : 63
    Registration date : 2013-07-29

Post by Randall711 Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:57 am

Don't feel bad I'm sure we all go through it. Was having a talk with my boss yesterday about getting burned out but in my case I restore cars for a living (most guys dream job) and it really starts to wear thin. Constantly people are asking for you to work on there stuff on the side at night and on weekends ect.. Almost like you should feel honored to work on there junk after work lol. What I do to keep my drive is basically get on here talk to you guys and look at lots of pics of other vans, read a lot about them ect. I personally can't get myself to go to another car show. I'm so sick of looking at muscle cars and other common crap lol!!
    Joe Van
    Joe Van
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 4619
    Registration date : 2012-10-11

Post by Joe Van Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:31 am

EVERYBODY has some really GREAT Advice.!!!!!!  I myselph about 10 years ago bought a 41 willys coupe pro street rolling chassis witch meant it needed everything after makeing a list and the first 6 months and a LOT of money I was over welmed and had enough I was getting burned out on drive train stuff so took a break for a while on that and started gauges and wireing steering colunm ect.!!! either start from the bottom of the list and do some simple stuff or do what I had to do also take break for a month or so... It took me 3,000 hours and a two year project to build it and get it on the road but in the end it was well worth it.!!!!!!! .........One of the best ideas posted I though was go to a VAN show bring pictures of your van and start talking to everyone about it and check out the other Vans also that will give you a jump start for sure.Smile ...........
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Post by RipVanArkie Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:43 am

1967 Econoline Pickup
    1966 Econoline Supervan

pilotmtnraider
    pilotmtnraider

Post by pilotmtnraider Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:20 am

Rip I came across that yesterday. I'm about 4 hrs away, but no big deal. The only problem is I work that weekend. Bummer. But I did find out there is a super Chevy show at Bristol drag way this weekend. So I'm going to go check it out.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Even I have to say there were times with the 69 I thought it never would get done, now I think that with the 66. But I have learned to keep plugging away. So please don't give up on it
    dan nachel
    dan nachel

Number of posts : 394
    Registration date : 2012-01-24

Post by dan nachel Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:28 pm

For three years now, I have been doing just what I could finish in a day, because it is my daily driver. That way I can make improvements and show them off instantly. Last month I bit the bullit. I had been collecting parts and fabricating others trying to get every thing together. In the last three weekends (and a few hours during the week) I changed out the rear axle to an 8.8 with 373 gears, changed the front axle to one I had put new king pins, disc brakes and rack n pinion steering. I also swapped in a 302 with edelbrock intake, holley carb, cam and headers. I kept the 5 speed trans that I put in 2 years ago. I also put on air bags and blocks to raise it 9 inches. Now it sits on 31x10.5x15 tires. You just have to keep your eyes on the finish line.
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Post by RipVanArkie Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:42 am

PICS!

1967 Econoline Pickup
    1966 Econoline Supervan

Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:24 am

Heres another idea. If you feel unmotivated, try something that stirs your creative side! For instance, I was getting kinda draggin on my Avan, because it looked so ghetto, and there was no end in sight. (despite that I could have looked back and seen that I already DID most of the crappy hard work)
    So I took a little time and found an easy fun instant results project I could do. For you it might be Painting that one nasty rim, or drawing pictures of the interior so you can visualize it.

I did a little army tank stencil for absolutely no other reason than I stated above, and painted it on the side of the van. Its silly, small, and nifty and pointless, and I LOVED it. Because of the motivation that gave me, that next opportunity, I had enough steam do do almost the entire interior, and finish spray painting the rest of the exterior. Youll get there my friend!
    pilotmtnraider
    pilotmtnraider

Getting burned out!!! Empty Here are a few pics. I'm doing it from my phone, so I'm not sure its working correctly.

Post by pilotmtnraider Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:17 pm

dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by dix Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:45 pm

stay with it your doing fine looks like the body is in nice shape,

Post by pilotmtnraider Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:56 pm

Yeah. The body is in great shape. Getting the motor running right was the hard part. At the moment I have all the doors off and trying to prep the inside for some paint. The interior will probably be one of the last things I do, just because I haven't decided what to do yet. Looking back I have made quite a bit of progress. I have completely removed and repaired nearly the whole drive train and fuel system. Thanks to all you guys for the support and ideas.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:03 pm

you are doing better with your than I'm do with my 66
    pilotmtnraider
    pilotmtnraider

Post by pilotmtnraider Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:09 pm

I'm pretty impatient. I want it ready now so I can drive it. Haha. My dad had a 64 when I was 17 I got to drive it so I know how fun they are. I've been looking for one since and ran across this 65 about 3 years ago and had to have her.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:56 am