VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+8
bugeye bob
oo3
benwah
Kakster
itruns
Nightmoves
DanTheVanMan
mo_1040
12 posters

windows or no windows???!!!

mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

windows or no windows???!!! Empty windows or no windows???!!!

Post by mo_1040 Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:55 pm

I see alot of people love window vans...I myself would never own one. Don't get me wrong...I'm not dogging those who like them. Just wondering what some of the reasons are for liking particular vans. For example...When I got kicked out of my parents house my first home was my 76 ford van. No windows, just the bubble windows in the back corners and a vent in the roof. Since it was my home for a year, I enjoyed my privacy. Having this van I have now (67 Chevy) is like reliving my first taste of freedom. So just thought it would be neat to find out why or what makes your van special to you.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

windows or no windows???!!! Empty Re: windows or no windows???!!!

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:30 pm

MO,
    I like them both. For different reasons: Window vans are nice for driving and site seeing, better visibility and airflow if you have pop-out's. And are better for just hanging out in.
    The no-window's generally are used more for hauling stuff and major customizing. Although there are exceptions, I have seen some real cool window van's done up as well and seen pic's of the stuff Donivan has hauled in his. It's really up to the individual and their plans. They are pretty hard to find these days and most will get what they can (East Coast) and other's can pick and choose what they want (West Coast). Some like me wanted a no-window for a fishing van. My father had one, I always though it was the coolest thing. Now I'm old like I thought my dad was then and I have my own..... <”))))>{

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

windows or no windows???!!! Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

windows or no windows???!!! Empty Charlie the Tuna

Post by Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:31 pm

<"))))>{ You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish!!! scratch
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:56 pm

NOT TRUE haakowii.......

Iieeee can TUNA-FISH!!!!

windows or no windows???!!! Tuna_210

My first Tuna... Belize 2002

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-

windows or no windows???!!! Empty Charlie the Tuna VERSUS Dan..... Dan wins!!

Post by Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:07 pm

Hey Dan,

"YOU'RE THE MAN!!!" Cool

Last edited by haakowii on Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:11 pm

"THE VAN MAN!!" lol cheers

Think we're getting a bit off subject here............. drunken

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Post by Nightmoves Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:42 pm

Aww thats cool.I always felt as if I was the worst 'post drifter' on here.And post killer too, sometimes.Haa !
    Cool tuna Dan! you Go Bud! (wasn't there a band Hot Tuna ?)
    Where was I ?
    Window vans :Yes ,the visibility would be great,you never can see enough of the road,especially in traffic.They usually have 'benches o'plenty' for your buds to ride around with.
    My self,I 'm kinda fond of a non or few window van.Just kinda like the big panels on the side.Plus,every Tom,Dick,& Harry can't be venturing thier eyes in to 'see what all he's got' Mad in there. My 2 cents worth.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:55 pm

I love my panel van, that's all I wanted growing up for customizing. For the bed across the back, sin bin, weekender and plain ol' hippy van it's my first choice. I've even thought about replacing my side doors with solid units, just for the cool look. Back in the 70's you had to have a panel van so you could display the artwork.

However, I would love to get my hands on a nice early Falcon (I love the old fords) and do a custom cruiser, something with seats for the grandkids or other adults along for the ride, but I would still keep the icebox and cabinets, and use sort of a 19th hole theme for the interior. Being able to see out of all those windows would make it nice to take a trip in, and the pop out windows would make the trip more comfortable. That said, limo tint would have to go on the windows, and a couple may be blacked out for that perfect customizing on the inside.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:09 pm

Well Rob,
    Your a dreamer just like the rest of us. Mine's a panel too and got lots of plans for it and already want a Dodge A100 truck and a Chevy window van to convert to a 4X4.

I want, I want I want......... Twisted Evil

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Post by Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:18 pm

yeah, I am a dreamer, LOL! My van is close to being finished again, still trying to perfect the paint, but the interior is 95%, and hopefully within the week the paint job will be 100%. Headed to Myrtle Beach in it next month!
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:23 pm

Where you at Rob?

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

itruns
    itruns

Number of posts : 1605
    Registration date : 2008-07-03

Post by itruns Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:33 pm

I’ve been driving work cargo vans for the last 28 years. I hate it when I’m at a Y intersection or backing up and can’t see traffic no matter how much I twist my fat butt around in the driver’s seat.

I love the openness of my Sportsman. Yeah, it may resemble a station wagon, but I still love it. When you’re driving an early, I feel you’re kind of making a statement even if there isn’t any artwork.

As far as the pop out windows go, if you open the rears and have the exhaust back there, the low pressure behind the van may allow the fumes to be sucked into the van if you close the front windows. I like Don’s sunroof myself.

I was thinking of getting some of the micro perforated window film that allows you to still see outside, yet you can have them printed into something, like say… your favorite album covers.

Post by Guest Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:21 am

i had a panel van and couldn't get over not being able to see out of the thing. that being said, i love the huge canvas for killer paint. nothing looks cooler than a panel. however, i love my sportvan. i can see out of it so friggin well. i love it. if i don't want anyone to see in it, i can put some cool curtains in it or something (which i'm planning on).
    Kakster
    Kakster

Number of posts : 236
    Registration date : 2008-05-18

windows or no windows???!!! Empty Window or Not

Post by Kakster Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:04 pm

My 67 Chevy only had rear door windows, which was easy to make private with curtains, but I opted to put a single door with a window on so I could check out the surf at Rincon beach as I drove down to LA from Santa Barbara. Still easy to make a quiet space, but offers some increased visibility of the essentials.
    Kakster
    benwah
    benwah

Number of posts : 1135
    Registration date : 2008-07-05

Post by benwah Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:59 pm

yah back in the 80s id never really look twice at a window van, today well the times there a changeing, my first 2 vans were pannels, 73 tradesman, 67 A108 both were cool , any early gets my attention these days there all surviors, never thaught my 65 sportsman would look so cool.....
    oo3

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2008-06-01

Post by oo3 Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:05 pm

and what about doors/ no doors! - my favorite - display vans - my 69 chevy had the full windows on passenger side including the little one behind the front door and panel driver side - really liked that - my dodge display has panel drivers and windows in side doors - dont know if dodge made a full passenger side window display type? - but i need those doors - my van has to work when i need it - but haulin the kids is cool to - my 3 year old nieta loves to go for rides - when her little brother gets older i am going to have to figure out another seat ! - oo3

Post by Guest Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:52 pm

I had a 65 E-van panel back in the day, no windows at all in the back or sides. It was my little stabin cabin untill my friend wacked a wall with it. I will get another panel although a window would be cool too, maybe I'll end up with 2! A panel will be first though.
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:21 pm

I like them both and would have taken either one but like most say they are hard to find and for me beggers can't be choosers, I got a great deal on my A100 sportman window van it has a slant 6 170 ci with three on tree , I wouldn't trade it for a 2009 Dodge van. Plus you can see when your changing lanes with no problem.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:37 pm

In the beginning I would have said panels for me only, but after seeing many econo windows, sportsmans and sportvans I would have to say I would have either one.
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Post by VANagain Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:53 am

Back in high school we were so jealous of the Peterson brothers and their two 2nd Gen Chevy vans with V8s and no windows. They looked great and privacy was key.

About 5 years later I got my own 1st Gen panel with windows in the doors. I painted a mural on the driver's side and that one solid wall really made it feel like a room inside. But I really appreciated the door windows while traveling and living in it. A few curtains provided instant privacy but while driving I wanted to see out, and while parked I could slide them open for air (they were sliders, not pop-outs). But an all-window van was out of the question.

Nowadays I've opted for the window van. I could have probably been happy with a display van, but the Sportvan really appealed to me. They seem more rare, unique, and retro, especially with those two little windows. Most of the time I'm driving around town, to Home Depot, maybe the occasional camping trip. Probably not a lot of "action" happening in there anymore... And if you've got passengers, it seems bad to just toss them into a cave in the back; they appreciate seats and being able to see out.

Back in the day, a panel van got you a knowing wink, the old "If this van's a rockin..." Wink Now I hear people mention child or female abduction when the see no windows. pale

Hey Itruns, I've considered the same thing, I could still have a mural by having it printed on that perforated vinyl to stick on the windows. Every time I see a "billboard" van with those, I take a close look to see if I would like it. The best part would be that this time I wouldn't have to break out the paint and my airbrushes, I could do the "painting" in the computer!

Post by Guest Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:13 am

I prefer winder vans myself. I've owned several A-vans with window and even a couple of display vans. All the B-vans I've owned have been window vans. My '94 is a conversion with the bay windows. The '85 I just bought technically is not a window van but has windows in the back doors and the oval window cut into the sides.

I had an A-108 panel (that "Kermit" now owns) and I didn't like not being to see when backing up.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:44 am

Yeah, Remember when my dad would take my brother and me fishing in Michigan in his 66 G10 just like the one I have now. All the good time and places we went. I can remember sitting on the doghouse sometimes for hours just so I could see out the window.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

BILLS66
    BILLS66

Number of posts : 1383
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by BILLS66 Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:03 am

My brother and I would fight over who got to ride on the dog house. Bill

Post by Guest Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:18 am

Dan,

I'm in Waynesboro Georgia, near Augusta. March will be my 6th trip to the run to the sun car show in Myrtle Beach, the second for the van.

I took a Model A the first year, a 60 Chevy Wagon the next, then a 76 Vette, the 4th year the van wasn't ready to travel. Of all the cars, the trip in the van was the most fun, and the van got 10X the attention the other 3 got together!

Where are you located?
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Post by DanTheVanMan Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:20 am

Hey,
    Didn't I talk to you on VCVC about the car show in Moultie?
    I'm in Stockbridge, GA.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 6:12 pm