VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Generator to Alternator Conversion

kawadawg
    kawadawg

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2012-06-01

Generator to Alternator Conversion Empty Generator to Alternator Conversion

Post by kawadawg Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:35 am

Need help wiring a GM internally regulated alternator on a 61 Etruck. i have the alternator mounted, bur I'm not sure what goes where on the electrical. I read that the terminal on the back goes to the positive on the battery and one terminal on the plug goes to the generator light. What about power to the ignition switch? Can anyone help with a schematic?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Generator to Alternator Conversion Empty Re: Generator to Alternator Conversion

Post by donivan65 Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:25 am

Generator to Alternator Conversion 3rd_ge10
    Full Tilt Boogie
    Full Tilt Boogie

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2011-06-14

Post by Full Tilt Boogie Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:28 pm

kawadawg wrote:Need help wiring a GM internally regulated alternator on a 61 Etruck. i have the alternator mounted, bur I'm not sure what goes where on the electrical. I read that the terminal on the back goes to the positive on the battery and one terminal on the plug goes to the generator light. What about power to the ignition switch? Can anyone help with a schematic?

Did you have any luck wiring your alternator up? I just did the same swap and I'm not sure where the white wire from the alternator goes. I've tied into the yellow wire on the Generator gauge, but the light would stay on when I shut the van off. If I tied it to the black wire on the Gen gauge, the van will continue to run if the key is switched off. Am I supposed to remove the old regulator and all wiring tied to it?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:57 pm

You need juice to that white #1 wire on the alternator to turn it on,,,,,,,however,,,,,it will feed back to the ignition switch and keep the engine running even with the key off,,,,,,you need to go Radio Shack and get that resistor  and put it in the wire that goes to the #1 white wire,,,,which has to be from the ignition switch or idiot light,,,not from the ammeter,,,,,,,
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Generator to Alternator Conversion Altern10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 5:31 am