VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

Transmission drive shaft problem?

Rayallen
    Rayallen

Number of posts : 648
    Registration date : 2011-06-27

Transmission drive shaft problem? Empty Transmission drive shaft problem?

Post by Rayallen Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Guys this has me a bit confused.

I reinstalled my original 170 motor back in my 64 van. I had removed my tranny for ease of installation. I find it easier to drop the motor in with the trans attached.

I'm using the OG tranny that I've always had, but all of a sudden my drive shaft is to short! What the hell is going on. Did my trans yoke get pushed in? I'm about 1" short. The motor is on the mounts and the trans bolted where it belongs.

The van is in neutral and the yoke turns freely its just not out far enough to attach the drive shaft.

I've changed nothing simply removed it to switch motors and dropped it back in. No mods at all.

Any clue on what the hell happened?
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Transmission drive shaft problem? Empty Re: Transmission drive shaft problem?

Post by Rayallen Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:57 pm

I know its the yoke. For what ever reason it's stuck in the trans. going to try some gentle force to see if I can get it to move
    Rayallen
    Rayallen

Post by Rayallen Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:14 pm

Got it fixed. Learn something new everyday I get underneath this van.

I thought this entire time the yoke was a slip yoke. Its is not. The damn drive shaft flexes at the end like a shock. Simply had to pull on it and presto it fit.

I've had a few cars and this was a first without a slip yoke. Figured it out with the help of my neighbor.
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:58 pm

Happy to here you got it figured out. There's nothing worse then something not fitting, or your buddy says.."where does this bolt go"...right after you put all the tools away...lol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:38 am