VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
G-Man
RodStRace
Twinpilot001
rustytoolss
8 posters

New to the site, got big dreams..don't we all Air conditioning ??

rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Number of posts : 624
    Registration date : 2013-07-19

New to the site, got big dreams..don't we all  Air conditioning ?? Empty New to the site, got big dreams..don't we all Air conditioning ??

Post by rustytoolss Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Well to start with I do not own an A100...YET! I've been researching some stuff. I do have a question about installing AC ?? can it be done ?, what about with a slant 6 ? I'm sure engine cooling is a problem on a van even without AC. I did see a photo of a little red wagon recreation with a vintage air system. But of course that guy had big money behind him. So for the average joe can AC be done. ?? love the site.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

New to the site, got big dreams..don't we all  Air conditioning ?? Empty Re: New to the site, got big dreams..don't we all Air conditioning ??

Post by Twinpilot001 Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:33 pm

welcome & yes -all can be done = see =vintage air site =Happy Vanning!!cheers 
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

New to the site, got big dreams..don't we all  Air conditioning ?? Empty Re: New to the site, got big dreams..don't we all Air conditioning ??

Post by RodStRace Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:40 pm

Welcome to the site!
    Once you get the new van squared away and reliable, then go for A/C.

Real Cheap = get various parts and cobble something together. This will take a bunch of research and bargain hunting.
    Cheap = Rob a complete system from a parts car or at the junkyard and fit it to your van.
    Not So Cheap = get a complete old system out of a van and install. I've seen them on V8s but not a /6. They may have them, but they are R12 not R134 and they are kind of cobbled.

Aftermarket A/C = there are companies that can supply parts to complete systems. I'd really suggest checking these out if for no other reason than to know how much it costs if you plan on the other methods. You may also get some decent tech help. Always research a company before sending any money. There are a bunch of places that promise the moon before the sale and won't answer the phone after...
    Vintage Air is the original and has a great rep. They might be a bit higher, but know their stuff and stand behind the products.

Don't forget, real A/C that works is going to require good insulation of the doghouse and the outer walls/roof.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:06 pm

have any of you seasoned A100 guys seen AC done before?..how well did it work? ( did it work well enough that YOU EVEN THOUGHT OF DOING IT ??) I was thinking that the compressor mount from say a 85-89 New Yorker might mount the compressor, for a V8 small block system....and even the 80s Volaress? slant six, had a AC mount system. Whats to stop a guy from mounting the condenser way far infront of the radiator, and install a12V electric fan behind it..don't know...just an idea.to keep it clear of thr radiator.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Welcome to VV!!!
    A100 Wrench
    A100 Wrench

Number of posts : 572
    Registration date : 2013-05-12

New to the site, got big dreams..don't we all  Air conditioning ?? Empty a/c

Post by A100 Wrench Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:29 pm

Your on the right track.Go for a complete bracket,pulley and compressor set-up from the same leaning tower of power. You also could look at B-series vans and get the rear air unit.
    rustytoolss
    rustytoolss

Post by rustytoolss Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:02 am

How big of a concern would adding AC be with the cooling system? I hope to get a van with a 318/auto, but a 6 auto would be fine. and add a trans cooler/ clutch fan or electric fan. Does anyone know when Chrysler started using systems that had R134A ?
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:00 am

The 69 A-100 RV I've got out back has an A/C system. It's never run, so I can't say how effective it is.
    Cooling is always one of those things Vans really are on the edge with. Minimal air flow, tired components, older engines and pushng a brick thru the air all tax the system.
    It can be done, but you gotta have everything right.
    Clutch fans weren't on the vans. I'd guess that it was due to cost and intended use (around town, not freeway trips) more than testing for the application.
    R-134 was phased in during the 90s, and the /6 was done by the late 80s.
    The rear A/C suggestion is a good one. They are compact, often include heat for defrost, and would be easier to adapt to an A up front or in the back. The only issue would be sizing, since it is a lot of interior space and a small added unit. Maybe 2 of them, since they were always ganged with a front unit.
    dodge man
    dodge man

Number of posts : 2036
    Registration date : 2012-08-08

Post by dodge man Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:36 am

WELCOME TO VV MY FRIEND !
    hoffy09
    hoffy09

Number of posts : 48
    Registration date : 2013-05-19

Post by hoffy09 Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:05 pm

Here is the system that I have purchased for my pickup. I have the Hurricane 2000 Inside Package. I have not installed it yet, but I have mocked it up and it fits where the factory air box originally sat and supplies A/C, heat and defrost. My engine is a 99 and already has the compressor bolted on. The coolant lines as well as the A/C lines go down thru the floor.....just like the originals did. Good luck!

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/hurricane-ac-systems/universal-hurricane-systems-cable-operated-c-1_32000000_120131979_120131981.html
    pittsdriver
    pittsdriver

Number of posts : 335
    Registration date : 2010-08-12

Post by pittsdriver Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm going to go with the Old Air components. I will put a modern aluminum radiator and electric fan. A friend that does high end muscle car builds has installed several of their units and says they work great. I have done a lot of work on aircraft engine baffling and I can see several areas that might improve airflow through the radiator and engine compartment. I hope I can get serious on the restoration this winter. I keep getting buried with airplane projects. Don

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:50 pm