VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
HandiVanMan
RodStRace
Digz
7 posters

been a while but here is my 66 van all finished except for gas cap

been a while but here is my 66 van all finished except for gas cap Empty been a while but here is my 66 van all finished except for gas cap

Post by Guest Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:28 am

Any clues on a gas cap for her? Original driveline. Motor was very clean and after redoing the seals and rear main seal she purrs like a kitten. does have a new carb. New exhaust makes it very quiet. Rebuilt drum brakes all around but I also bought the brackets for the disc conversion. Found am excellent gas tank via this board but also had a custom tank from Boyd's tanks built. 3 on the tree and she starts with 2 pumps of the pedal. This body was very rust free except a small place in the passenger footwell and the rear floor by the door. All the wiring was repaired. Everything works. Paneled, just because . Original wheels were gone when I got it and I replaced the S10 wheels with a set of torqueflites I had. New tires. Driver's seat was shot and there was no passenger seat. I had these MB SLK seats in my storage for years...turns, back up lights, mirrors and all new rubber seals I got from Brother's.
    been a while but here is my 66 van all finished except for gas cap 014-1
    been a while but here is my 66 van all finished except for gas cap 022
    Day one and yesterday
    https://s126.photobucket.com/user/2man02s/library/66%20chevy%20van?sort=3&page=1#/user/2man02s/library/66%20chevy%20van?sort=3&page=1&_suid=137260125524205131894612057076
    Album link.

been a while but here is my 66 van all finished except for gas cap Empty Re: been a while but here is my 66 van all finished except for gas cap

Post by Guest Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:35 am

I forgot...I do have the other wiper arm, but need blades and I painted the cabin for ward black.  I thought I took a pic but guess I didn't. all the wood can come out pretty quickly.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

been a while but here is my 66 van all finished except for gas cap Empty Re: been a while but here is my 66 van all finished except for gas cap

Post by Digz Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:42 am

Looks Great !!  ^5's cheers
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:23 am

Very nice!
    Torq Thrusts, not torqueflites!
    http://www.americanracingwheelsinfo.com/American_Racing_Torq_Thrust_Original.htm

TFs are chrysler auto transmissions!
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:48 am

You can find a gas cap on eBay. I have already lost 2 NOS caps so I would suggest a stainless steel reproduction cap!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12245
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:14 am

I think that black plastic locking type gas cap from Autozone, #5091 will work,,,,,,,or get a chrome locking one Stant # 11491/10491.......Napa - Carquest - Oreileys
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:23 am

I bought the locking gas cap front auto zone & I had to return it cause it was building up pressure in my tank & started making the engine run rough. It was supposed to be vented but didn't work for me.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:38 am

I never tried the Black one from Autozone, they say its vented,,,but they sure need to be vented,,,,,,the Stant ones are,,,,,,

Post by Guest Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:15 am

NICE! cheers 
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Post by HandiVanMan Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:15 am

The black one was the one I tried. The package said that it was vented but it didn't vent. I could of got a bad one so it probably wouldn't hurt to try one of them. I had no problem with them refunding my money. I think I will try one of the stant gas caps.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:29 am

Looks great
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:34 am

been a while but here is my 66 van all finished except for gas cap Lockca10

Post by Guest Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:08 pm

torque THURST! Don't know what I was thinking. Thanks, for info on the gas cap!
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2011-03-13

Post by sandyvan Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Real nice job on the van! Very nice. I like the partial door panel instead of a big square of wood, shows off the effort on the paint job.

Don, I have that Stant gas cap and I must have a bad one, pretty sure it is not venting at all based on recent performance and the huge gasp of air the tank took on when I filled up recently. My filler hose was all dry and cracked, leaked, and I think it was doing the venting since I don't drive it every day. I replaced the hose and after it was air-tight, all of a sudden the van was cutting out and now I believe it was starved for gas.

I was looking at this one, if you scroll down they say it fits a 66 pickup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-1963-Chevrolet-All-Models-Chrome-Vented-Locking-Gas-Cap-with-Keys-/321122422424?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1966|Make%3AChevrolet&hash=item4ac4634e98&vxp=mtr

Sorry for the thread hijack, once again, the van looks awesome Andy.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:39 pm

,,,but when you punch in 66 Chevy van, it says it don't fit,,,,I believe that,,,,,Scott just bought an Autozone 5091 black plastic locking gas cap this afternoon,,,,,,and there is two kind of venting,,,, pressure build up that forces fuel into the carburetor and vacuum build up that does not allow air into the tank as the gas level goes down,,,,,,so did your air go in or out when you took the cap off,,,,,drive the van without a gas cap  if you think it is bad,,,,,,,but the rubber hoses on top of the gas tank and going to the fuel pump  cause problems when they go bad,,,,,,,we need the same locking cap as a 55 corvette or 63 corvair,,,,,  Stant 11491,,,,,,Napa 703-1113,,,,,Carquest 35011
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:51 pm

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks, I bought the Stant. Found it on Amazon.
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Pretty sure mine is the Stant, I'll dig through receipts to find out for sure, the Napa Balkamp looks a little different. The sound when I popped the cap off (after having used up nearly a tank full without having the cap off) was like the giant sucking sound Ross Perot used to talk about. After I filled up, it ran fine again.
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:34 pm

I replaced my fuel filter and the two rubber hoses with it at the fuel pump, and the rubber hose going over the valve cover to the short piece of steel tube at the carb.  The PO had some work done on the tank recently and I think the rubber hose back there is OK, I'll crawl under and look again.  Now I am thinking maybe it's the filter in the carb that might be all gunked up??

So which of those two venting types you describe am I supposed to have?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:24 pm

The gas cap has to let air in for the gas to be able to go out the tank,,,,,,but before the emission laws came in, the cap also let air out to keep the pressure down in the tank,,,,,a hot tailpipe is the normal cause of the pressure in the tank being high,,,,,then they stopped venting the carburetor and gas cap to the atmosphere and the excess fumes and pressure went out of the tank into a vapor cannister which then goes into the engine to be burned,,,,,and thats where the non vented cap comes in,,,,,,we have a sealed tank,,,,,it builds up pressure,,,,park a full tank in the hot sun,,,,,watch the gas start pouring out of the gas cap,,,,,,now if you have problems with your van running, that another story,,,,,,so you got a choice on which gas cap you can get,,,a locking one or the stock twist on one,,,,,,,
    sandyvan
    sandyvan

Post by sandyvan Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:17 am

Well that might explain the stained paint under my gas cap, but I've never seen any gas come out since I've owned it. Got the plastic A.Z. cap.....
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14778
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:00 am

Congrats Andy! Van looks awesome! She's not a plain Jane anymore! Hope the gas cap works out for you. - Vanny

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 17, 2024 10:34 pm