VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
econopoor
Skulptor
6 posters

differences from 61-67

Skulptor
    Skulptor

Number of posts : 79
    Registration date : 2013-04-20

differences from 61-67 Empty differences from 61-67

Post by Skulptor Thu May 16, 2013 10:41 pm

Apologize if this has been covered million times, tried to search but coming up short..
    ->Whats the differences in the years of the econoline vans 61-67.. Bodies and chassis mostly is what im hunting info for. tryin to get a 61 that needs some body work (rust patching), so new sheetmetal. I found a 65 donor van, and just double checkin to see if its same sheetmetal?

econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

differences from 61-67 Empty Re: differences from 61-67

Post by econopoor Fri May 17, 2013 5:59 am

Briefly, here's some info. They all used basicly the same metal. Pickups had thicker rockers than vans. The frames changed a lot. 61-64 reg vans and pickups were .050, Heavy duty and Supervans were .120 give or take .010, Regular frames after 65 were .065-.072 depending where you check. Vans have stiffing braces inside the rockers, Pickups do not. Supervans have a different radius in the lower rear corners not to mention the different taillights. Doors will interchange between any year. 61 doors have some differences but later doors bolt right on. Hope this helps.

Duane in Tennessee.
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Fri May 17, 2013 7:47 am

Awesome thinks Duane!! Early earlies had some thin fame rails, might have to fab a subframe if I do a v8 swap or want to so rear four link.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Fri May 17, 2013 8:10 pm

If you are thinking of a V8, I make the cross members, as well as one for you trans as the your donout mount is not really strong enough.
    LONG, LONG discussion on how to do that one correctly and will wait to see where you go with this info. ALSO!!!!!!!!! THE FRAME SIDES ARE "NOT"!!!!!!!!!!! 90DEGREE/ They ARE at an angle and when you or if you get to that point I can help you there also. The correct way to do the mounts are to weld two pieces in to form the correct flat bottom piece.
    I have done and am doing a 62 right now. The LAST person chased a lot of holes welding his 90 degree plates in. I got em all fixed. Welding the frame is fine, IF you know what you are doing..not hard at all when you do... LOL>>
    vic

differences from 61-67 Early_10
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Fri May 17, 2013 9:44 pm

Old Skool what kinda monster 4x4 van is that? Some serious leaf pack there!
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Fri May 17, 2013 10:13 pm

OK im seeing what your sayin now that im not seeing the image through my cell phone.. Yeah ill be hittin you up for sure, i think ill run the 6 until it gets tired or has issues, then swap an 8 or maybe a diesel. Would love to do some searches on the forum and see what swaps have been done. Gratzi!
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sat May 18, 2013 10:26 am

IMO,,, you will do better with tried and true, as long as you listen and do it correctly...LOL..
    Diesel sounds like a neet idea, and not trying to kill a new persons energy but you have a while to go, a lot to learn about these trucks and a lot of time to think about it. The V8 is pretty well documented on how to do it!!!
    That was a picture of SOMEONES good intentions that went south on the 4 whl drive. Don't remember where I got the picture from but he clearly didn't understand a lot of issues like using angle iron to make new frame mounts,, LOL....
    vic
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Sun May 19, 2013 2:56 pm

RIght on! ill be doing some research, i just scored my van Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 3 hr drive home was enough time to feel out what already needs immediate attention.. Steering box and shift linkage.. I agree iv got alot of learning and schooling to be had! Ill be posting pics soon!

Ryan
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Sun May 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Sure do like the automatic to my email,, MY THNX to the mods for taking care of it for me,, MUCH, MUCH better.
    Re-reading this thread,, I sudddenly thought I have screwed up!!! IF there is anyway to not get a 61 of either type I would not get very excited over one.
    The frame gauge is the thinest of them all, and itS not UNCOMMON to find a crack in the frame some where, add to that it has NO real cross member you are fighting an up hill battle from the get go.
    IF you have the patience,, try to discriminate from 65 to 67 no matter a van or a pick up. The options REALLY OPEN up for you and certainly worth paying a little bit more for in the 1st place. ESPECIALLY with the goal of a larger motor. Not to say we cant handle the 61 but for the money try 65 up.
    How does that fit in with what you have going on,,, As I read it you are looking at buying the 61 and havent tied the know yet? For sure grab all the parts off of the 65 you can they are all good.
    To be honest, when I see a 63 or so in the yards, there is not really much on them to sell and dont get very excited unless 9"er. Just trying to help you and make it better for you. If you have to pay a little bit more, thats better in the long run...IMO...
    VIC
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Mon May 20, 2013 8:51 am

Yeah I passed up the 61, and drove home a 67 on Saturday! Stoked!
    3hr drive home and tinkered on it Sunday, and Monday morning took 2hrs up to San Francisco. I'll have like 600+ miles on it in 3 days, that's a good way to work out the bugs and get a feel for it lol
    Biggest issue right now is shift linkage, need to go through it from train up to the column.. Not getting into first gear in stop and go Sacramento traffic is no bueno! Done a little research here about it.. Vic, sounds like your the man with the goods on that avenue.
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Mon May 20, 2013 11:34 am

GREAT!!! 67 is the last and the best!!!! You have the dual master cylinder so you are half way to disc brakes if you decide to. All the rest is good. What size motor and rear axle, shorty or extndo???
    I make the AMC disc brakes if you end up going there and a bolt on no fuss no muss no adapters,,
    vic
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Mon May 20, 2013 9:11 pm

In a previous thread, Fred Carello covered the differences in great length.
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Thu May 23, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks, ill have to look up freds post about it, love to learn the differences.

Thanks, Vic! Im glad i waited and found this 67, its a falcon. Registered as a commercial vehicle, must have had a bunch seats in there at one time i guess? Not sure about motor size and axle yet,but do know its not a 9'... been super busy last few weeks. Still trying to get up some pics. Ill try and snap some pics and post them in the Showcase forum tomorrow. And yes disc brakes are on the list for sure!

Wait i did snap one cool pic on my two trips to san francisco from last week.. heres a sneak peak Cool Plan on changing rims back to stockers..

differences from 61-67 67_in_10
    Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Post by Magic Bus Thu May 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Looking good Skulptor, nice looking 67 you wont be sorry for paying a little extra for one with a good body. Congrats!
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu May 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Nice Van , very cool rims
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Post by Old Skool Thu May 23, 2013 7:22 pm

COOL TRUCK,, glad you waited and the best year with a dual master too boot!! If its the small rear end its the small six motor,, unless someone put in a bigger six and didn't get to the rear end yet. Its all GOOD,, CONGRATULATIONS..
    VIC
    Skulptor
    Skulptor

Post by Skulptor Thu May 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Thanks, says its a E-110 Carryall. Ill have to run all the numbers and find out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:28 am