VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Looking for comments on this van

Looking for comments on this van Empty Looking for comments on this van

Post by Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:49 am

I found this van that is not to far from me. The guy is asking $3200. Its a rust free Arizona van, but unfortunately someone added some bad windows to the side. I wonder if a good body guy could weld in pieces good enough they wouldn't show? Looks like the van still needs quite a bit of work but a good start?

I'm still thinking about it, and would welcome any comments about it.

Looking for comments on this van P1050971

Looking for comments on this van P1060049

Looking for comments on this van P1060052

Looking for comments on this van Empty Re: Looking for comments on this van

Post by Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:53 am

Other than those really ugly windows it looks to be in good shape. You should be able to find someone to weld the holes up. $3200.00 sounds a little high but if it runs good and you are comfortable with repairing anything wrong with it I'd say make him an offer of say $2800.00 and negotiate from there.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:16 pm

VB,
    Thanks for the input, it all helps. How about the fact that it is a "no door" van? Is that desirable? I would think one with side doors would make things more accessible. To be honest, I didn't even know they made a van without side doors. Shocked
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:26 pm

No doors are rare and too bad someone cut holes in it, but a good bodyman can fix that. The price is a little high, then again it's a no door. (don't let him know it's rare). Try $2800 like VB said. Looks like you found a good one.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:51 pm

Yes the no door is rare, I think around 4000 were made from 1961-1967. I have always wanted one. having side doors does make things easier. if you have kids you may want to hold out for a 6 or 8 door Econo since it is much easier for them to get in and out of unless you put a rear seat along the wall on one side or the other then they would have easy access and a easy place to sit.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:28 pm

look's like a solid van. your looking at a lot of work to fill the window's. i did a bunch of theme and can say it is not a easy job there is a lot of blocking to get the panels to look good. however it can be done'. a body shop will charge you big $ to do the job and thene theres paint . by the way i have this van for sale it is about 98% restord will take offers. Looking for comments on this van Blackvan4 Looking for comments on this van Mvan1-2 Looking for comments on this van Mvan4

Post by Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Hey Fly5465 you ought to jump on that black Econo. Most of the work is already done and I can vouch for Harolds work.
    DanTheVanMan
    DanTheVanMan
    Commissioner
    Commissioner

Number of posts : 7900
    Registration date : 2008-10-08

Post by DanTheVanMan Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:40 pm

Fly5465,
    That's a nice looking no door. The window issue can be fixed. And I would offer him $2500. Then maybe you'll get it for $2800 or $3000.

2004 Kawasaki KLR650
    1997 Jeep TJ Sport

My Mini Gallery

Looking for comments on this van Qr_cod10

<-<-<- Cruising is not a "Point A to Point B" thing, but an "Everything in between thing!  <-<-<-
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:44 pm

Yeah... I agree. You could blow the budget if there are hidden surprises. Welding in the panels for the windows could end up looking like a big zit on a teenager's forehead if it's not done right. I'm only a beginner welder, and would try it, but I'm not there yet to get that one right. I'd end up with a lot of bondo covering the seams and ending up with a big bulge on the panel that would show really bad in the sun.
    sasktrini
    sasktrini

Number of posts : 2067
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by sasktrini Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:49 pm

One thing that could work in your favour is to look at the value of similar vans. Because they are not in vogue, most of the nicest vans completely refurbished probably top out at $4000, except for the most patient and reputable of restorers. Tell him that if you fixed it and tried to sell it, you'd be lucky to get $4000 for it and start at $2200... paint job is at least a grand, and then any parts and your time... it's gotta be worth your while. Good luck if you go for it... NoDoors are rare. You can trust Harold's van too.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:24 pm

Thanks everyone for your input, its much appriciated. I'm going to talk to the owner and see how firm he is on the price. Its more than I would like to spend on a van that needs that much work. We'll see where it goes.

Harold I would consider your van, however I'm just not a fan of black. It gets pretty hot here in Arizona.

Thank again all.

Dale
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:23 pm

If you get it, you would want to cut the panel out a bit larger than the windows. Get close to the drip rail and the mid body line, the door opening and the rear vertical support. It will be much easier to work and less fill. Spot and stitch and stitch and stitch...

Later,
    Rip
    RipVanArkie
    RipVanArkie

Number of posts : 987
    Registration date : 2008-05-13

Post by RipVanArkie Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:35 pm

Friend in TN has the upper left quarter for sale.

Later,
    Rip

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 6:27 am