VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+5
OldBird
Big W
G-Man
Magic Bus
jdlaugh
9 posters

Rusty Tailgate rehab

jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Number of posts : 298
    Registration date : 2013-03-18

Rusty Tailgate rehab Empty Rusty Tailgate rehab

Post by jdlaugh Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:37 am

I've got a pretty straight tailgate but the bottom is rough & rusty. I'm thinking about slicing it down the middle lengthwise and inserting a pipe inside. I will then hammer/straighten/patch and weld it back together. I "think" I can make it look reasonable when I'm done.

Thoughts?

Here's pictures of it now. Rusty Tailgate rehab Tailga10

The tailgate is generally in okay condition, except for the bottom. Certainly a bit rusty but fixable. That's the pipe I plan to use.It's a good fit over the hinge posts.

Rusty Tailgate rehab Tailga11

The ends are blown out and the tailgate is pretty much not useable right now.

I will keep you posted on how things turn out.....

Magic Bus
    Magic Bus

Number of posts : 1422
    Registration date : 2009-12-02

Rusty Tailgate rehab Empty Re: Rusty Tailgate rehab

Post by Magic Bus Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 am

May as well give it a try, Yours is in the shape most of them are in. If youve got the time and a welder and the skills Im sure you can fashion it to look pretty good. Mine on my truck had been rebuilt and it looks pretty good
    Rusty Tailgate rehab Tailga10

Rusty Tailgate rehab Mh_rea10

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Post by G-Man Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:52 am

As hard as they are to find trying to save yours is the way to go

Post by Guest Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:37 pm

We cut the bottom round piece out on our's and welded in a piece of box section steel in across the bottom. We then moved the tailgate hinges up on the body of the truck otherwise the tailgate would not open.

It works fine now but the tailgate supports dont work so it opens all the way down and is not quite level with the bed of the truck when open. There is also a slight gap between the tailgate and the bed of the truck when its closed. It was either this or weld the tailgate completely closed it worked out pretty good in the end.

Rusty Tailgate rehab 100_4893_zpsd3b114a5
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:25 pm

I spent some time today trying to rebuild the tailgate on my 65 pickup. As mentioned earlier (last year!) the bottom of the tailgate was rusted out. I cut off the rot and welded on some new material to the bottom four inches or so. Looks rough right now, but I think it will turn out okay!

Cutting, grinding and welding -- and I still got all my fingers!  Very Happy
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:47 pm

That's looking good Jd. I think that's going to clean up nice. And I'm glad you can still count to 10...lol. That's always a concern when I fire up the big grinder as well. cheers
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:40 pm

Seems like I always have to give a little blood to the car gods. In this case, no blood. But that hot piece of metal melting thru the top of my tennis shoe sure got my attention! Shocked
    OldBird
    OldBird

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2011-11-20

Post by OldBird Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:30 pm

my tailgate was good except for the bottom, so I cut it off and fixed it this way.Rusty Tailgate rehab 17975710

jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:27 am

OldBird wrote:my tailgate was good except for the bottom, so I cut it off and fixed it this way.

Nice job! I like how it cleans up the area over the license surround. I'm trying to stay close to original, although anyone who has seen an original will know mine isn't....
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:52 am

there was 1 other member about ?? 2 years back that redid the whole tailgate with a later ford truck gate-id guess -in the archives here too? turned out excellent too = i believe he cut the new gate down in both directions too -some work yet was a great job!! There are - new hinges being made also.
    racer8432955
    racer8432955

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2013-11-16

Post by racer8432955 Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:53 pm

Twinpilot001 wrote:there   was 1 other member about ?? 2 years back that redid the whole tailgate with a later ford truck gate-id guess -in the archives here too? turned out excellent too = i believe he cut the new gate down   in both directions too -some work yet was a great job!! There are - new  hinges being made also.

Maybe? Your thinking of the circa 2006 era RAM tailgates. Not my idea (another member on here did a bang up job) but I'm doing it on mine. I'll try to do separate write up someday when its done (see along time). Anyway, the profile is a good start in my opinion.

Rusty Tailgate rehab CAM00533
    Rusty Tailgate rehab CAM00537-1
    Rusty Tailgate rehab CAM00534
    RF Man
    RF Man

Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2014-03-14

Post by RF Man Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:32 am

Racer--I'm interested in the Dodge tailgate solution. Keep us in the loop. I too am stuck trying to repair my tailgate on my restoration. That rebuild on the HAMB a while back looked interesting as does the Dodge solution.
    THX Mike C
    jdlaugh
    jdlaugh

Post by jdlaugh Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:17 pm

I've been having more fun with my tailgate repair. I had several dents on the inside up near the top, plus a significant area of rust that had to be cut out and replaced.

To pull the dents, I tack welded small bolts to the low spots and then used a crow bar to lever out the dents. I cut off the bolts and reused them for several different spots, then ground down all the welds.

Rusty Tailgate rehab Puller10

To replace the rusted-out section of the tailgate, I knew butt-welding the thin sheet would be challenging, so I tack welded in backer strips to make things easier. I got everything as straight as I could then tack welded the repair in place. While I had the hole open, I sprayed the inside of the tailgate box with Rust Reformer. It was pretty darn rusty inside!

Rusty Tailgate rehab Tailga12

Rusty Tailgate rehab Tailga13

I will finish it off tomorrow. The repair may not be invisible, but I think it will turn out okay for a 60 year old truck!

James
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:33 pm

sure looks like a =NEW ??? Ground clamp maybe =even welder --- to me!!!! Nice job! cheers
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:16 am

That's coming along nicely. Keep up the great work.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:09 am

Re: Rusty Tailgate rehab
    Post by jdlaugh on Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:40 pm
    Seems like I always have to give a little blood to the car gods. In this case, no blood. But that hot piece of metal melting thru the top of my tennis shoe sure got my attention! Shocked

All u need do is - to notice that hot metal on ur shoes=Quicker!!- is === Just go barefooted!!
    Das Boot
    Das Boot

Number of posts : 76
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

Post by Das Boot Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:22 am

I had been considering cutting the back off of mine to be able to use a hammer and dolly and welding it back on. Has anyone here done this?
    OldBird
    OldBird

Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2011-11-20

Post by OldBird Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:05 pm

here is my tailgate latch,,, ( seatbelt latch ) Rusty Tailgate rehab 1086371024]Rusty Tailgate rehab 10863710[/url]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 9:29 pm