VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Horn Help...

ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Number of posts : 357
    Registration date : 2011-05-01

Horn Help... Empty Horn Help...

Post by ndjarrett Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:10 pm

My 67 GMC van had almost nothing left of its horn parts. I bought some parts to fix it but am sure either the cancelling unit or the spring that was left under the wheel are the wrong size. Any diagrams, pics or numbers would be helpful.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Horn Help... Empty Re: Horn Help...

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:27 pm

The fast answer is that the juice from nut on the steering shaft has to get through the steering wheel down to the slip ring on the turn signal switch, so ground the horn brush to the nut to see if the horn works or pull out the brush,,,stick a screwdriver down in there and touch the nut,,,,,if the horn works, then the problem is the contact plate under the horn button,,,,,

Horn Help... Repair26
    ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Post by ndjarrett Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Yes, my horn also does not seem to work. But, I was missing all parts but the spring under the steering wheel. I assume you mean me to touch a screwdriver to the orange arrows below to test the horn?

Horn Help... Cimg2511

Based on your pic, the cancelling unit is definitely wrong...LOL.

Horn Help... Cimg2510

So, what are the parts in red & yellow box and where can I find them?

Horn Help... Repair10
    ndjarrett
    ndjarrett

Post by ndjarrett Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:03 pm

Also, as you can see in the pic I am missing one (lower right) spring for the turn signal switch. Can those be found anywhere? Oh, and the last piece in the 1st green box is domed in the middle...does the middle dome face up or down?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:38 pm

My picture is from a 1st Gen,,,a little different than yours,,,,,but the left side parts are the nut, washer and horn brush,,,,,,and left of that,you should probably have that round disk that the cup with that plastic retainer goes over,,,,,the right picture is the spring and a cone spacer that keeps the turn signal switch bearing centered,,,,,the switch needs a cancelling spring,,,,,there are left and right ones,,,,easy to find,,,,,that cancelling cam should fit under the steering column to bump those springs after you turn,,,,,touching the brush to the shaft sends a ground signal to the horn relay which hooks the wire from the fuse box to the wire that goes to the horn,,,,so check the horn relay,,,is it even there???,,,,,,those 3 wires go to it,,,see if you power up the horn wire, the horn blows,,,,see if it got power,,,,check the fuse,,,,,you kind of got to start at the horn and work your way back up to the button,,,,,,,
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:03 pm

Those cancel springs can be purchased as a separate piece. Your left cancel spring is missing. You might want to make sure the broken parts are not inside the switch someplace.

Horn Help... Septem10

m1d
    VANagain
    VANagain

Number of posts : 1046
    Registration date : 2008-05-16

Horn Help... Empty Sportvan horn button swap

Post by VANagain Sun May 10, 2015 7:01 pm

I'm swapping out my broken 1st Gen Sportvan horn button for the regular panel van one. It's impossible to find Sportvan horn ring that is not broken, and I like the simpler one anyway. But I must be putting it together wrong, or I've got mismatched parts, because it won't move when I get it together. When I push on it it doesn't flex the spring and make contact.

Horn Help... Horn_s10

Horn Help... Horn_s11

The convex spring plate in Don's photo looks different than mine. I've got the panel van "cup" but I think all of the plates I've got are Sportvan. They have three tabs that stick up and line up with that plastic disk. My guess is that disk provides the three curved "bumps" that are built into the panel van cup. But putting that disk in doesn't make this work either. I'm going try flattening the three tabs so it is more like this one:

Horn Help... Horn_b10

I can't find any exploded views in the Van maintenance manual or the Truck one. They show how to attach the steering wheel but not these horn parts. I've google searched for diagrams too and they're too low res or different models.

Anyone know how this works? Are yours like the photo here?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Sun May 10, 2015 8:10 pm

well the object is for the wavy washer, bowed side up, to ride on the spring loaded horn brush
    all the while that the plastic retainer goes through the cup and washer holes,,,,its kind of hard to get the retainer to go through the washer holes without pinching it,,,,,,then the cup pushes down on the washer and it bends it down to hit the washer under the steering wheel nut to complete the circuit to ground...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:06 pm