VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

So what do you think about soda blasting ?

Cdcracing
    Cdcracing

Number of posts : 245
    Registration date : 2013-01-29

So what do you think about soda blasting ? Empty So what do you think about soda blasting ?

Post by Cdcracing Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:28 am

I've been reading some on soda blasting . Has anybody done this to there van ? Some of the things I've read was not being able to get primer to stick after soda blasting . I read you have to use some kind of chemical after soda blasting to get timer to stick . Has anybody done this ? What would be the pros and cons ? Thanks
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

So what do you think about soda blasting ? Empty Re: So what do you think about soda blasting ?

Post by RodStRace Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:57 am

Pros: less hazardous, easier cleanup, reduced chance of warping
    Cons: does not cut thru rust, needs post blast treatment

I'm planning on doing the exterior of my 66 and have also done a bunch of searches. I will probably also do some sand for the rust spots and have decided not to do the interior.

I saw a great but expensive product yesterday. They are like a baby wipe, but have an acid etch solution on them. This would allow you to use a 'direct to metal' primer on the bare metal surface instead of etching primer that then needs a sealer primer. I plan on soda blasting, then using these wipes. I'll probably DA and hand sand the inside areas to avoid the big mess. Most of that will be covered by interior.
    You have to figure out what is your timeline, budget, skills, and what's available locally to come up with a plan that suits you.
    For any blasting, you need a BIG compressor. A typical 50 gallon single stage shop compressor will be overworked. It's gotta be during a low humidity day so the media doesn't clump. Some places are a lot cheaper than others for a pro job. If you are having someone else do the paint, you need to schedule so they can get it in primer the same day if possible. If you are laying on the primer and then handing it off, make sure the painter is comfortable with your products.
    Cdcracing
    Cdcracing

So what do you think about soda blasting ? Empty Re: So what do you think about soda blasting ?

Post by Cdcracing Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:39 am

Thanks
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:30 am

Here we have a soda blaster company - ive talked to & seen the finished cars in his shop. Best thing ever done!!clean up is a vacumn too -just a dust when thru.Just primar after done & body work it.
    Das Boot
    Das Boot

Number of posts : 76

Post by Das Boot Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:08 pm

My compressor just won't cut it for sand/soda blasting, but I do have a pressure washer. I've heard great things about this:
    Northern Tool Sandblating Kit for a Pressure Washer
    It's nice knowing you can use regular sand and not worry about inhaling it. I plan on picking one up soon. I'll let you know how it works out.
    Cdcracing
    Cdcracing

Post by Cdcracing Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Cool thanks !
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon May 20, 2013 7:38 pm

After building a Pro Street with a friend who now owns that truck and on this site. I WILL NEVER SODA BLAST a truck again. It is a real bummer to see white bleeding out from the seams after a $10,000 dollar paint job.
    I don't trust it anymore. Many state that if you properly clean all the places that are spot welded together, it will never bleed..... no thanks,, IMO..
    vic
    Old Skool
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1306
    Registration date : 2009-06-13

Post by Old Skool Mon May 20, 2013 7:41 pm

I have the Northern Tools high pressure blaster attachment. It will clean and strip ANYTHING.... wear a rain suit and a mask. Because it sucks so much sand so efficiently and quickly I had to put the new extra nozzle that I purchased (expensive) on after about 10 sacks of sand. It kicks butt and never use it again. Too expensive and aggressive over all.
    vic

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 6:22 pm