VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

New Fuel Sending Unit for my 1963-Which one should I get??

New Fuel Sending Unit for my 1963-Which one should I get?? Empty New Fuel Sending Unit for my 1963-Which one should I get??

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:30 pm

OK so my fuel gauge was bad (I tested it out after reading and following instructions here) so I replaced it with a working unit. I am now sure it is the sending unit after testing everything else. The unit is not on the TOP of the tank but at the FRONT by the rear axle (I am sure I will still need to drop the tank??)

Well which one do I get?? What ones are you guys getting? Will this one work??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Tank-Sending-Unit-1961-1962-1963-Ford-Econoline-/200850949212?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec3a6445c&vxp=mtr

Many thanks as always!!
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8732
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

New Fuel Sending Unit for my 1963-Which one should I get?? Empty Re: New Fuel Sending Unit for my 1963-Which one should I get??

Post by dix Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm sure the econo gang will fix you up. did you test for power at the sender/flote?? the dodge units have a jumper strap around the rubber hose, If you buy a new one put them side by side and adjust the flote to match the existing one

New Fuel Sending Unit for my 1963-Which one should I get?? Empty Re: New Fuel Sending Unit for my 1963-Which one should I get??

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:53 pm

I tested it following the intructions from here:

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t14006-fuel-gauge-sender-diagnostics

I narrowed it down to the sending unit after doing everything else.
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2011-02-28

Post by Vantastic Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:16 pm

Hansolo99 wrote:I tested it following the intructions from here:

https://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t14006-fuel-gauge-sender-diagnostics

I narrowed it down to the sending unit after doing everything else.

Hey Man it's Tim.. How are you?? Hey what year was your van??

Post by Guest Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Hey Tim!! I'm fine thanks!! Hope you are the same?

My son has been asking about you. He saw your van in the pics only, but wanted to see it person, maybe we can get together so I can show him. I took him to see another members Spring Edition Truck not too far from me on Saturday and he loved it. He is only 11 so he gets a kick out of all the old ones still on the road. He dreams of driving something like these when he gets older.

My van is a 63'.................
    txmarshall65
    txmarshall65

Number of posts : 28
    Registration date : 2011-12-31

Post by txmarshall65 Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:56 pm

I would check sending unit first using ohm's meter. remove unit from tank(pretty easy) connect ohm meter to unit and move float up slowly.reading on meter should change.if it changes it's good if not ..unit bad..I would check thiss first before I spent money for new one. most online parts dealers won't refund on elec. components

Post by Guest Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Yes I did that and I am not getting any reading at all. That is why I said I narrowed it down to the unit itself, now I need to know what sender will work?
    SDEconoTruck
    SDEconoTruck

Number of posts : 310
    Registration date : 2010-05-26

Post by SDEconoTruck Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:10 pm

Hey Hansolo,

It's just my opinion but I would try to find a good
    used fuel sender rather than getting a new replacement.

New replacements are available, but the windings inside
    the rheostat (the tin can on the sensor) are much larger
    than the windings on the old units.

You end up with a less accurate, more "jumpy" gauge reading.

When you hold them next to one another, there are twice as
    many windings on the old units, which gives a finer reading.
    The windings are also grouped together tighter at the beginning
    of the range of slide motion on the old ones. They are not
    on the new ones, which does not match the sweep of the gauge
    on the dash.

It is easy to open the rheostat, there are 3 metal tabs to fold
    back, but be careful not to hurt the very fine wires.

There are places that still re-wind the senders.

My guess is that the problem may be a small break in the wires
    leading to the rheostat. (Assuming that the sender was GROUNDED
    when you checked it.)

Hope this helps,
    George
    Vantastic
    Vantastic

Number of posts : 290
    Registration date : 2011-02-28

Post by Vantastic Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Hansolo99 wrote:Hey Tim!! I'm fine thanks!! Hope you are the same?

My son has been asking about you. He saw your van in the pics only, but wanted to see it person, maybe we can get together so I can show him. I took him to see another members Spring Edition Truck not too far from me on Saturday and he loved it. He is only 11 so he gets a kick out of all the old ones still on the road. He dreams of driving something like these when he gets older.

My van is a 63'.................
    Yeah let's defiantly Hook up! take a beach cruz! You still got my #, gimme call and we can set something up

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:10 am