VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+2
Gothboy
RodStRace
6 posters

More details/Better pictures by van go

More details/Better pictures by van go Empty More details/Better pictures by van go

Post by Guest Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:04 pm

First of all,thanks for showing that you give a damn and are here to help..GOD knows I'll need all I can comprehend!Now..naturally the van came as is..It had large slot mags on the back and aluminum lifting blocks,I didn't like it...so he made an offer...he would take the wheels off and the lifting blocks out and go have new rubber put on the 14's...in exchange for the slot mags...good guy,I said no problem,while my gal and I went to take care of the title transfer at AAA,he went to work...coupla hours later we got back and the van was finished.My lady bought the van for 3...she wants something to camp and go to social events in,This is the van I took here to see after she rejected the 64 econoline for sale...she liked this paint job,firethorn metalic,I liked not seeing any rust thru on the interior,SOLD.I pulled about 40 skrews out of the ceiling and floor and vacd it out good,also pulled the pass and top of the doghouse off to get to my next major challenge,it fires up and idles,to rev you gotta feather it,imediate response is terrible,light grey smoke flows out of the rear breather on the rocker cover...the column pops out of 2nd,have to hold it untill I shift to third,fluids are good...once I'm past the spuddering and coughing...this little 170 has plenty of go for what we want it for.Oil and filter was just changed by previous owner,he never drove it on the road,he said the fuel pump is new.He took out the tank and drained the 20 year old fuel and 'cleaned' out the tank and put it back in.I put about 3 gals of gas in it and went out on the main highway after getting used to the 3tree..just before I had it up to speed to shift into third...It died....took awile for it to finally fire up,putted in first back home,Were not taking the van back out until we start getting a few things right with that engine.BTW,there like a one two clack toward the back of the valve cover,rapid noisy...in response to this description are the pics in daylight....looking forward to learning what I need to do to get this cool little tired soul runnin better,van go.

More details/Better pictures by van go Empty The pics.

Post by Guest Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:29 pm

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

More details/Better pictures by van go Empty Re: More details/Better pictures by van go

Post by RodStRace Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:31 pm

clack = valve adjust.
    You can search online on how to do that.
    slantsix.org is a great place for info.
    Perform a full tuneup on it before worrying about minor concerns like hesitation. That may be carb related, but get the basics covered first.
    smoke out of rear breather = check the PCV valve in the front breather. If it's okay, the engine is tired. It's probably the original one. If you can find a good replacement, do it. Don't use a cheap plastic one.
    Shifting = lube and adjust first. This starts with the base of the column behind the grille. Then check each pivot point on the shift components. They should each be nice and tight, not sloppy (most are worn) and have a washer and clip at each point (many have been mickey moused together over the years). Finally, adjust it.
    There is a procedure in the service manual, it would be a good idea to get one and go through ALL the regular maintenance that has probably been ignored for many years.
    Here's a pic of the shifter stuff...
    save it to your computer to see it all.
    More details/Better pictures by van go Manualshift

You can cover the opening in the roof and seal the edges, buy a standard RV vent or search for an old school venturi vent. If you get an RV one, you shouldn't drive with it up. It tends to wear them out or break them.

Last, look over all the wiring. The stuff is old and brittle by now, and who knows what's been added to it over the years. Fire is a big concern, so check that before taking another cruise. Helps to make sure all the lights and horn work too, just in case you get pulled over!!! Temp and fuel gauges are important too!
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

More details/Better pictures by van go Empty Re: More details/Better pictures by van go

Post by Gothboy Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:50 pm

Gorgeous van! Funny tho everything I was going to say as diagnostic, Rod already said! Right on the money man. Keep her running as good as she looks and you'll both be happy forever!

More details/Better pictures by van go Empty RODSTRACE AND GOTHBOY THANK YOU..

Post by Guest Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:35 pm

Thats a wealth of info to start out with,thanks ROD...goth,I'm grateful to you for that undeniable fact...thanks for the compliments as well.I'll get more info up as I run into things beyond my comprehension,my ears need a f*ckin life preserver,get me?
    wylee
    wylee

Number of posts : 917
    Registration date : 2009-04-03

Post by wylee Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:42 am

n i c e ..................
    blackace
    blackace

Number of posts : 450
    Registration date : 2010-09-16

Post by blackace Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:55 am

Hang in there and just tackle one item at a time. it all comes together.
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:18 pm

As part of the tuneup and maintenance Id go back by the fuel tank and put in a clear filter for a little while as well to see what gets caught.

My van would actually run down the road for a bit and then run out of gas. Turns out the fuel tank filler line had rotted on the inside and filled the tank with rubber particles about the size of coffee grounds. The pump, lines, carb and tank were full of that stuff and I had to replace it all and have the tank vatted. If the filler hole smells like old rotten gas it might be worth it to flush the tank.

I had to do a complete maintenance run on mind as it had been siting for 5 years and was all original.
    volt regulator
    distributor
    cap/rotor/wires/condensor
    wiring repairs to fix the hack job
    ran new battery cables
    tank flush, carb rebuild, new pump/lines/filters/sending unit
    oil/filter change
    3x engine degreaser/cleanings
    valve cover gaskets, new oil sending unit
    gauge repairs
    suspension bushings
    shocks
    brake work

etc Smile

runs pretty good now to be 45 years old
    vanny
    vanny

Number of posts : 14775
    Registration date : 2012-09-22

Post by vanny Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:50 pm

The way I see it, you've got 2 keepers. A nice looking vintage van and a woman who appreciates these gems! Good to see another one being brought back with some TLC.

http://public.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/vintage-vans-es/ruff-diamond-1/?cmd=fs_slideshow

More details/Better pictures by van go Empty BOTH keepers

Post by Guest Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:50 pm

It's good as hell to know you guys havent given up on your vans and Its clear you havent given up on this website either...I found this bent pushrod toward the back of the 170,I was just getting ready to do my first ever valve adjustment after learning how on slant6.com,so I pulled the rod and went looking for a replacement...my third and final junkyard were three slant 6mobiles but no 170's...I've got twelve on order thru ebay,I'm thinkn I'LL just replace the one and see how I do on my first valve job with the engine RUNNIN.I'll have 11 extra case I need em down the road,gonna go,talk to ya later.
    More details/Better pictures by van go 00411
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:23 pm

That will set up a clatter! Laughing
    BTW JV is not a VA...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:59 am