VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

Gas tank for 72 GMC half ton?

Gas tank for 72 GMC half ton? Empty Gas tank for 72 GMC half ton?

Post by Guest Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:15 am

I've got a 72 GMC half ton vandura (gen 3?) with a (very) rusty gas tank. I've used every ounce of google-fu I have, but can't seem to locate a replacement fuel tank.

Any suggestions? Are ones from some later (or earlier!) year compatible (perhaps with some hand-built mounting HW)? I want to get this thing back on the road, before the spiders claim it for their own.

Thanks, Steve
    pan58head
    pan58head

Number of posts : 512
    Registration date : 2010-03-15

Gas tank for 72 GMC half ton? Empty Re: Gas tank for 72 GMC half ton?

Post by pan58head Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:47 am

Steve any tank from 71-95 should fit. In about 1987 they went to fuel injection so the tank has a different baffle inside. There where two different sizes 22 and 33 gallon. Last time I check on ebay they where under $100 without the sender, that runs about another $100. How about pick a part in california, no luck bob

Post by Guest Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:25 am

Hmmm... Thats what I originally figured, but when I look at tanks from later years online ,the dimensions always seem to be different than the existing tank. for example, all the tanks I find seem to be 12" deep while mine seems to be only 10.5" deep or so. I haven't found a tank that seems to be the same dimensions as what I've got. I don't need an exact match, but I figure it does need to fit in the existing space, leave proper ground clearance and have filler tube line up "close enough".

steve
    pan58head
    pan58head

Post by pan58head Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:34 am

Mars I have a 22 gallon tank out and on the floor post you sizes and I will measure mine. post a picture ? bob

Post by Guest Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:55 am

pan58head wrote:Mars I have a 22 gallon tank out and on the floor post you sizes and I will measure mine. post a picture ? bob

Mine is currently still in the vehicle, so the picture may not be that helpful. Is there something specific I should try to take a picture of?

The tank dimensions are 26" for and aft X 29" side to side (to the outside of the welded flange) the tank looks to be about 10" or 10.5" tall. (Certainly not the 12" I read for the GM8A tank design). The tank has 3 ports on the left side. The fill looks to be 1-3/8" diam and is centered 10" ( 9.75"?) forward from rearmost edge of the flange. It looks like there is a diagonal "bite" designed into the top front edge of the tank to provide clearance to a transverse rib under the floor.

There is also a vent right next to the fill, and another vent forward. (I'm guessing that is another vent and the actual pickup is in the top center of the tank with gage). I don't see the forward vent on e.g. the GM8a. This is a 1972 (gen 3?) from Calif so I wonder if it's "special" for smog somehow... (However, it's old enough that I don't have to get it smog inspected anymore, hooray!)

Thanks for looking. Another compatibility datapoint would be helpful.

steve

Gas tank for 72 GMC half ton? Img_2812

pan58head
    pan58head

Post by pan58head Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:03 am

Mars I'll try to get some pictures today bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 9:06 pm