VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Center Bore Size

equium
    equium

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2011-04-25

Center Bore Size Empty Center Bore Size

Post by equium Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:39 pm

Can someone confirm that our hubs are 3inch. (Center bore)
    I'm looking at some cragar wheels and want to make sure it's good. Also, if I buy a wheel with a larger center bore, do I need an adapter?
    thanks
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Center Bore Size Empty Re: Center Bore Size

Post by RodStRace Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:54 am

When talking about the old style mags, almost all aftermarket wheels will have a larger center bore than needed to ensure they fit on all applications.
    With the modern high offset FWD wheels, they have tightened up tolerances. Many are now "hub centric" meaning that the hub positively locates the wheel. Some are still oversize to fit various applications, they are called "lug centric". This means the lug nuts center the wheel on the hub. Adapter rings can be purchased to slip into the wheel bore to make them hub centric for your application.
    Here is one such listing
    http://www.jegs.com/p/Detroit-Wheels/Detroit-Wheels-Hub-Centric-Rings/902543/10002/-1
    Obviously, you must measure YOUR hubs and wheels for a precise fit. Don't simply go by an internet sizing. These were built to loose tolerances 50 years ago, and have had many hands on them and mods and damage over the years.

Gotta do your due diligence and make sure your hub and rim measurements are what you order if you want to get hub centric adapters that fit and work properly.

If you are the type that bolts stuff on and never checks it again, lug centric is okay, but you should recheck wheel torque at least one or two times after install.

If you are the type that uses a dial indicator to check hub and axle runout, or will run autocross, go ahead and get the spacers.

Going back to the original use of these vans (around town, no high speed, no high cornering), it could be considered overkill. However, if you are planning on a lot of highway use and have lowered it and installed HP shocks, springs, big wheels and tires, along with fresh bushings and plan on keeping up with those guys in modern cars around corners, it would be considered almost required.

equium
    equium

Number of posts : 107
    Registration date : 2011-04-25

Post by equium Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:10 am

Thanks for the info, Rod. I'll pull the wheel and get out the dial calipers. I like the idea of the rings even though it will only be an around the town driver, and i'd feel better knowing the wheel is aligned properly.
    My son has his eye on the Cragar V-5 wheels at summit racing. Which backspace will I be safe with and which wheel width (7 or 8") will avoid lock to lock rubbing?
    thanks
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:22 am

For that I reccomend getting a yardstick, or flat bar of some sort, and a tape measure. Place the long flat against the mounting flange of the drum and measure inward from the flat to the closest part of the vehicle that may touch. turn the steering wheel lock to lock and measure each wheel front and back, and anywhere that looks close. That will give you your maximum clearance. Then simply get rims that are less inset than that and you'll be clear.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:55 pm