VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+7
bugeye bob
NoBiggie
Twinpilot001
68G10
Vanadian
dix
Donn
11 posters

Sandy crushed NY

Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Sandy crushed NY Empty Sandy crushed NY

Post by Donn Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:07 pm

This storm kicked our buts here. Strange part is that the winds never got to bad, but the timing of the storm, high tide and full moon created a monster..
    There is so much destruction it's hard to believe.
    The death count is still rising, thousands of house's completely destroyed.
    Almost one million homes on LI without electric, no gas, no heat.
    The lines for gas are insane 13 hour wait for ten gallons! People are fighting in the streets if someone cuts the line. A guy was shot and killed at the station I use it did not even make the news.
    They are not reporting on a lot of stuff that is going on, I think they don't want panic.
    Some other things:
    911 Memorial which is under the two wishing ponds is under 2 stories of water. Most of it is ruined
    Nyc downtown subways are flooded with salt water..
    Brooklyn Battery Tunnel is flooded
    Most of LI beaches have heavey damage or are lost to the tide.
    Staten Island is in very bad condition.

It's going to be a long time, if ever until we get things back to normal here. Unreal how much can change is 12 hours!
    Now those preppers don't look so crazy anymore.. people wait for can gas

Other pic is the car line for gas, the station is about 1/2 mile awaySandy crushed NY 25010Sandy crushed NY 24310
    dix
    dix
    Moderator 1st Class
    Moderator 1st Class

Number of posts : 8729
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Sandy crushed NY Empty Re: Sandy crushed NY

Post by dix Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:54 pm

'iT'S sad to see all this and no help from the pres.

Number of posts : 187
    Registration date : 2010-11-17

Post by Vanadian Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:45 am

Hang in there NY!
    68G10
    68G10

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2012-09-25

Post by 68G10 Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:20 pm

dix wrote:'iT'S sad to see all this and no help from the pres.

Sorry to say that this should be expected. Look at recent history... Look at the gulf coast. The government just doesn't have it together... Just sucks we have to find out the hard way. Good luck East coast!!!

Peace,
    Brian
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:19 pm

Heres a news release on last thrusday - the electric companys in alabama & tenessee were asked to send some crews & trucks over to that area to help with the electric problems. many crews went over & when got there they were turnd back as they we re not ="UNION MEMBERS"!!=true story!!National news release!!
    NoBiggie
    NoBiggie

Number of posts : 726
    Registration date : 2012-09-26

Post by NoBiggie Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:39 pm

Did you hear that FEMA ran out of water on Friday? They put a bid invite on there website Friday for $4 mill in water. Winning bidder can't get the water there until Monday.

What in the heck do they do with all the time and money for preparedness? Just no excuse for this stuff.
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:50 pm

Just remember who their commander & chief is too?? affraid

PLEASE VOTE!!
    68G10
    68G10

Number of posts : 14
    Registration date : 2012-09-25

Post by 68G10 Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:39 pm

As long as paid lobbies (legal bribes) are legal, I'm afraid it doesn't much matter who the commander & chief is...

Peace,
    Brian
    Donn
    Donn

Post by Donn Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:13 pm

I heard that "union" story, not sure it's accurate. The firehouse around the block from me has trucks from many states and I spoke with a Non-Union crew from Texas this morning. They said they had no problem and did not see non-union guys not getting in. There are many guys from all over the country up here helping us and we GREATLY appreciate them coming here and dealing with all that is going on.
    The biggest problem beside the people left homeless is the gas shortage. Non-emergency people cannot get to help others if they can't get gas. The gas line's are getting pretty dicey here..I am helping a friend that got flooded, I am lucky to have some firemen friends that I have helped out in the past that are getting me can gas so I can get around. I am not willing to wait 7 hrs to get 10 gallons and dealing with the few jerks that are making it bad.
    My friend owns a front engine dragster and a pro-street Falcon that he jacked up before the flood came, thank God..
    Also below is a picture of his once, last week, mint houseSandy crushed NY 23511Sandy crushed NY 24611
    bugeye bob
    bugeye bob

Number of posts : 383
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by bugeye bob Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Sad how we can help the world but there are many cold people in the northeast tonight. I agree Vote tuesday decide weather you want a photo -opt president or a president who gets things done. I'm betting on the Capitalist Guy !
    Donn
    Donn

Post by Donn Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:43 pm

One of the strange things about the situation here is that there are NO commercials and very little thought about the election..I'm not saying it's a good thing but it seems not important right now..I know it is but there is so much going on and daily life is so F'ed up..Don't think either party know's what to do with us..most of us do not have a place to vote, due to electric and or don't have the gas to get there.
    I thought they should have pushed the date back a week but I guess the rest of the country would not want to deal with that arrangement. I think there may even be a law that the election must be on a certain date.
    The sorry truth is that one party screwed up Katrina and the other is screwing this up..We as a country need to get a plan for this type of emergency as I think more are on the way, Fema just does not work as is...Sandy crushed NY Sandy_10
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:44 am

What is Romney doing to help?
    econopoor
    econopoor
    Econoline Guru

Number of posts : 1747
    Registration date : 2010-04-18

Post by econopoor Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:14 am

Some of our non union guys from here in Jackson are on Long Island working alongside a crew from Canada and I'm sure there non union as well. The first night there they had to sleep in their trucks. One of the local fire departments has set up cots in their rec room for them now. We've been following their progress on facebook.

Duane in Tennessee
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:28 am

Let's keep the politics out of this.
    As for FEMA and the other emergency response teams, they gotta do things in order.
    Stay out of the area during the hit. No point having people and equipment damaged before they can help.
    Next, survey the situation and determine the needs and best course of action. This is what they do during the 95% of the time they aren't out there. Plan what the possible needs are and try to set things up so they can tap the resources needed.
    In all cases, they need to get to the injured and stranded first. Then make the area safe and control access (looting and people that are just going to need rescue).
    Then mop up and restore services.
    This doesn't happen in 24 hours or even a few weeks.
    It sounds like from the reports that there are a lot of people and equipment from all over the US there to restore power. That is the focus, along with restoring mass transit. All the infrastructure, to be clear. The big issue is gasoline, which is private. I've heard that the gov't has lifted many shipping regulations and is supplying fuel at some locations, but the private sector (wholesale and supply) isn't getting enough fuel out to the area and many stations are unable to pump due to no power.
    Let's face it, if you suddenly needed almost all the fuel that would normally be needed for transportation, PLUS enough to cover people helping each other and moving everyone who relies on mass transit that is gone, plus run generators and supply the added emergency workers, it would be tough. Add in many stations that are unable to operate, and you are going to have problems. It stinks, but it's not going to be normal for a while. Unless every station is equipped with a generator (I hear the gulf region now requires this) and every station is required to double storage capacity, fuel shortages are going to happen after an emergency, even if it's just from people filling up to prevent running out.
    Remember the toilet paper run from the Carson show bit?
    http://www.omg-facts.com/view/Facts/45282?id=45282&c_val=1
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:42 am

Donn, I hear there is a nor'easter headed your way.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/05/us-storm-sandy-hurricane-idUSBRE89N16J20121105
    Please be safe and best wishes for you and your neighbors and friends.
    Batten down the loose stuff and get out if you need to. We need all the vanners we've got!
    austinmodhouse
    austinmodhouse

Number of posts : 575
    Registration date : 2010-07-30

Post by austinmodhouse Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:09 am

thanks RodStRace.

I feared this thread was going to turn flammable.

I have a friend from Louisiana that works for the electric utility. he’s up there as well.
    Donn
    Donn

Post by Donn Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:23 pm

sRODSTRACE - No politics..We just need a better faster plan. We need a way to get more military in these area's quicker. Easy to say but I am sure not easy to do as you have to also house and feed these responders..I think having area's policed would help greatly..I guess to have a disaster in such a broad area is hard to respond to. Also hitting an area that has millions of people is hurting us to.

Duane - If you know any of these guys personally PM me and I would be happy to house and feed them. I have electric and heat now, hopefully will still have after Wednesday's storm. I live about a 1/4 mile to the south shore in Nassau County. I could make room for two guys..

Here is my gas station..I had 3/4 tank of gas in the Econoline hopefully this will get me by for a few days. Even the responders are starting to get low on gas.

REALLY do not need another storm!! Hopefully we will get lucky and it will go out to sea...Sandy crushed NY 41410

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:21 pm