VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

Honking horn on a van that won't start

Darth Garfunkel
    Darth Garfunkel

Number of posts : 20
    Registration date : 2012-06-28

Honking horn on a van that won't start Empty Honking horn on a van that won't start

Post by Darth Garfunkel Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:11 pm

The other day I tried to start my 69 a100 and got nothing. The radio came on but that is it. I tried again the next day and it started right up but I noticed that the horn was sounding when I made a hard right turn and used the directional. Same sequence of events happened today.

I don't know if the two problems are related. Anyone else ever have that happen.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Honking horn on a van that won't start Empty Re: Honking horn on a van that won't start

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Since it started the next day, that would rule out a dead battery,,,,,if you have an automatic, the safety neutral switch could of been preventing the starter from cranking,,,,,if it acts up again, turn on the headlights and try to start it,,,if they go out, then the starter could be the problem,,,,,or wiring,,,,and if the horn goes off with turning the steering wheel and putting on the turn signals, then the problem is under the steering wheel,,,,wiggle the turn signal arm and turn, push and pull on the steering wheel,,,see if the horn comes on,,,,,,
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Honking horn on a van that won't start Empty Re: Honking horn on a van that won't start

Post by RodStRace Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:22 pm

I noticed that the horn was sounding when I made a hard right turn and used the directional.

TS switch has both of these circuits. Clean first, then if you must - buy a new one and replace it.
    Darth Garfunkel
    Darth Garfunkel

Post by Darth Garfunkel Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Could the issues be related? I didn't think the ignition and ts/horn systems were connected on a100's.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:08 pm

Hello Mars! Laughing
    The two items I quoted are related.
    The other issue I did not quote (cranking) is a separate issue.

Cranking diagnosis requires a good, fully charged battery.
    I'd suggest cleaning all battery cable connections. Then check for a good 12V at the crank circuit at the relay. If you have a good signal, the ignition switch and circuit are good. It's probably the relay and/or neutral safety switch if auto.
    If there is not a good signal, it's the switch or circuit.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:21 pm

On the horn,,,,,the idea is to get the green wire to touch the nut on the steering wheel,,,,this grounds the relay and blows the horn,,,,however,,,,it gets a little complicated getting that roller to touch the nut,,,,if the wire touches metal before it gets to the nut, the horn blows,,,,the roller rides on a plate under the steering wheel,,,,that plate has to get through the steering wheel, through a horn brush and work it's way to the horn button,,,,all these pieces are really close and any looseness could get them to touch,,,only the horn button gets to touch the nut,,,but if any of these other parts touch, the horn blows,,,,but look at that wire, see that it is not cut or pinched,,,take the horn button off,,,,see if that stops the horn from acting up,,,,,you need to find out if the problem is above or below the steering wheel,,,,

Honking horn on a van that won't start Dodge_17
    Darth Garfunkel
    Darth Garfunkel

Post by Darth Garfunkel Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks for all the tips, this really helps! As a mechanical noob when things go wrong at the same time I assume they are related. A mechanic down the street owes me a little work so I think I'll have him tackle the starting issues and I'll have a go at the horn.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Whatever questions or problems you have, we can break it down to something you can understand,,,,,
    jfox
    jfox

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

Post by jfox Mon May 06, 2013 8:23 am

Kind of an old topic but was wondering if anybody knows where i can find just the contact roller Don has described. I to am trying to honk. Thanks
    Jesse
    Darth Garfunkel
    Darth Garfunkel

Post by Darth Garfunkel Mon May 06, 2013 11:56 am

jfox wrote:Kind of an old topic but was wondering if anybody knows where i can find just the contact roller Don has described. I to am trying to honk. Thanks
    Jesse

The irony was I replaced the whole unit to fix a faulty turn signal and I screwed up the horn, had the horn fixed and screwed up the turn signal so I may have a couple old ones sitting around. I'll check.

Otherwise I was able to get the whole turn signal/horn unit off an early 70's D series truck in a scrap yard for like 4 bucks. Identical part.
    jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Mon May 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Thanks Darth, any pieces would greatly help. Btw i have rear bumper brackets if you still need.
    Darth Garfunkel
    Darth Garfunkel

Post by Darth Garfunkel Mon May 06, 2013 3:21 pm

jfox wrote:Thanks Darth, any pieces would greatly help. Btw i have rear bumper brackets if you still need.

I'll have to check to see which one was the bum horn and which was the bum signal, if I can't figure it out I'll just send both.

What do you want for the bumper brackets?
    jfox
    jfox

Post by jfox Mon May 06, 2013 3:24 pm

What do you want for the bumper brackets?
    How about a trade..
    Darth Garfunkel
    Darth Garfunkel

Post by Darth Garfunkel Mon May 06, 2013 3:29 pm

cool

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 3:48 pm