VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+18
Exto
gregw98
Big W
vanner68
sandyvan
G-Man
vanman2
dodge man
ChevyVanMan1
RodStRace
Gothboy
back2thewoods
Space Truckin
Bear
HandiVanMan
Van Halen
Digz
Xelmon
22 posters

Bad news bad news... :(

Xelmon
    Xelmon

Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2011-10-11

Bad news bad news... :( - Page 2 Empty Re: Bad news bad news... :(

Post by Xelmon Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:05 pm

I know I know, there are a lot of vans in the area, they just run a pretty penny.

Oh well, I'll probably grab one when I start working.
    Exto
    Exto

Number of posts : 70
    Registration date : 2012-08-01

Post by Exto Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:04 am

I'll repeat the sentiments of being glad to hear you're ok first and foremost, that looks like it was a helluva spill. If I was in your position, I'd try to get the body back into some sort of working shape, but up here finding a classic van (or a classic anything else for that matter) is problematic at best. If there are bodies available to you, you might be better off buying a new shell and putting your good parts in it. And you can probably sell off parts you don't need to other vanners to help with the cost issues.
    m1dadio
    m1dadio
    Chevy Guru

Number of posts : 1778
    Registration date : 2008-10-06

Post by m1dadio Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:30 pm

Xelmon:

That is probobly not as bad as it looks.

I have done alot of damage repair before when I owned a body shop.

I bet that if you cut that bent roof (sooner then later because the metal will develop a set) I bet the sides will spring back or be very easily pushed back ito shape.

The door frames will likely come back. It is the bent roof that is holding the passanger side door frame out of wack.

You should get in ther now and cut that roof out to alow the metal to flex back before it develpes a set.

Yes it does look like the windshield frame may need a little straightening but I don't see replacement needed there. Its time to decorrode that frame anyway.

Although a large job it would be relatively easy to replace the whole roof as one piece.

You say the dog house is tristed 1"?? is that because the floor has twisted? or is that because the engine broke a mount or moved enough to bend the dog house and bend a fan blade 90*?? To bend a fan balde as you describe the engine must have seperated from the mount. If its just the dog house got bent by a flying engine and the floor and chassis is strait then the dog house can be bent back into position easy.

If you decide you are going to fix it, I have two good front doors from a 68 you can have towards the project. click on the picture for full image.

Bad news bad news... :( - Page 2 Dscn0416
    Bad news bad news... :( - Page 2 Dscn0417

Somebodys got to have a parts van with a good roof or maybe you can find a poptop parts van.

m1d
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:57 pm

@ M1D:
    That good sir is huge... Both the tips on how to deal with, and your offer of the doors.
    My buddies are slightly weary of the van, and how it's "damaged". My only issue is figuring out if the frame is straight - probably a quick visit to a body shop would tell me that.
    As for the door(s), I'll gladly take you up on that offer, as I want that rig on the road again! Very Happy
    bensbus
    bensbus

Number of posts : 171
    Registration date : 2012-09-23

Post by bensbus Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:33 am

So glad you are OK!

Consider checking with your local Career and Technology Center high school(Vo-Tech school) to see if the collision repair shop would take your project on. The teacher of that program where I work hates rust work, but he likes alignment, frame straightening, etc. It is great experience for the students.

The labor (here) is free- and you have nothing to lose. If all else fails, get yourself another van and turn this one into an awesome trailer!!

Ben
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:26 am

As for the refrence of the "porta Power kits, If I remember right you can get them from harbor freight pretty reasonable and I've never had any trouble with the one Ive used from there. Consider that option, Join the local community college body shop course, and you get to use tools you may not own and potentially have help fixin her up! great environment for such an undertaking. Smile
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:16 pm

Well I finally got a copy of the frame dimension charts, so with little luck I'll be measuring up the frame tomorrow.
    I'll also call up the local CC's to see if something can be done with the body aspect.

Bad news bad news... :( - Page 2 Empty SURE GLAD YOUR OK

Post by Guest Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:31 pm

I remember locking the rear up and sliding bouts 10feet right in front of a cop who was on a traffic stop. I don't know what scared me more the slide or the cop looking at me. In my vans defense it had rained (wet roads) should had been more careful and been going slower.Were you wearing a seat belt? Hope this doesn't deter you from keeping the 60's van on the road, doesn't sound like it so that's good. I don't think I should show my wife your pics or story because I will not be able to drive mine any further then the driveway. As far as the van goes I think you should try to save it as long it is proven to be mechanically safe and especially after it allowed to walk away. I am very attached to my mine but even more so if I would have been in your shoes. Well enough of my rambling on,again good to hear all is well and keep us up to date with your van.
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:44 pm

robs65chevy wrote:As far as the van goes I think you should try to save it as long it is proven to be mechanically safe and especially after it allowed to walk away.
    I've measured up the frame the other day at the gage holes and cross check resulted in 115 10/16" and 115 11/16", thus the frame is square.
    I do not know if it has been torqued, as the 40 year old springs are pretty saggy, thus I can't get a good ref measurement.

Portland Comm Coll has an automotive program and I've sent an e-mail Friday outlining my predicament. The notes say that they won't service cars older than 10 years (probably anti-lawsuit reasons), however with an instructors "OK" they may take the job.

Here's hoping they say "Sure, it's going to take a while though."
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:37 am

UPDATE:

Well, got an answer back from PCC and the guy basically said that it's out of the scope for the students to do.

Soooo by that I assume that a dent on a panel on a soccer mom van is "in scope". *sighs*

The other thing that I am truly worried about is how the van sits. It seems a bit lop sided, so I have a feeling that the frame may have been torqued.

As far as a home rebuild is concerned, the guys offered equipment. Problem is I have no space to work on it, and I have a feeling that that may not change for quite a while.

So yeah... We'll see what will happen.
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:52 am

Thats terrible news bro. At the community college by me people pull the bodies off 60's chevy trucks, and chop vw vans etc. I guess its up to the instructors skill level tho. oh well. As far as the stance, I think I read in here you have a copy of the specs? Find some nice level ground somewhere and take some measurements. I think at this point the measurements will tell you whats the next decision. If its tweaked you can probably get it straightened somewhere...But it costs more money on top of what you already have to spend. Cost vs time vs replacement value.
    bensbus
    bensbus

Number of posts : 171
    Registration date : 2012-09-23

Post by bensbus Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:48 am

[quote="Xelmon"]UPDATE:

Well, got an answer back from PCC and the guy basically said that it's out of the scope for the students to do.

Soooo by that I assume that a dent on a panel on a soccer mom van is "in scope". *sighs*

Yep- sad but true the auto body schools are only teaching students how to remove damaged plastic panels and glue new ones on anymore. The art of straightening metal body panels and frames is being lost.

The auto body teacher at my school bought an F250 truck that was twisted like a pretzel and straightened it- replacing all that needed replaced along the way. Students were involved and he now has a very nice truck and tows a very large travel trailer with it.

He will work on just about anything- even begrudgingly rust. Fortunately, they will do about anything for me on my old vans because I am a staff member and good friend of the teacher!

If you lived closer, I am sure he would work on your van. It is not too far gone by any means...for a competent shop or tech school system.

Ben
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:36 pm

@ Goth: The biggest issue is that it is immobile...
    Hm, first step then is clear, get new engine mounts, fix the vacuum line on the powerglide - one got pinched - and go through the steps to resuscitate.
    Otherwise it is way too much trouble/money to get it to any flat surface or a shop to have it checked.

@ Bensbus: Oh you are lucky! Nothing up here in Portland as far as I know... I guess I'll do more digging, however that will happen later.
    Seth G
    Seth G
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager
    Vintage-Vans Listings Manager

Number of posts : 2086
    Registration date : 2013-04-24

Post by Seth G Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:54 pm

sandyvan wrote:

Bad news bad news... :( - Page 2 Convertibleeconoline

Someone call a taxi??? pirat Your Uber ride has arrived Twisted Evil
    kookykrispy
    kookykrispy

Number of posts : 1533
    Registration date : 2009-05-22

Post by kookykrispy Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Bad news bad news... :( - Page 2 Star-wars-emperor-rise-zombie-thread-henceforth-you-shall-be-known-as-thread-vader
    Xelmon
    Xelmon

Post by Xelmon Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:28 pm

lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:09 pm