VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Header installs on early econolines

Header installs on early econolines Empty Header installs on early econolines

Post by Guest Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:11 am

I'm looking for information regarding issues (if any) with installing headers on v-motor swaps.
    Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Header installs on early econolines Empty Re: Header installs on early econolines

Post by Hellfish Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:40 pm

I used 89-ish Mustang headers on mine with an 89 5.0L HO. They wouldn't clear the floor, so I cut out sections, then cut out more to increase air flow.

I've heard that some year of Mustang headers fit without need to to cut the floor, but I don't know what year. Sean O'Dell at Blue Oval Engineering sold them, or modified them.

Also, 351s are wider than the the 289/302 and you will have to cut the floor no matter what.
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Header installs on early econolines Empty Re: Header installs on early econolines

Post by EconoUSAparts Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Sean Odells (Blue Oval's)headers arent modified Mustang ones. They are custom made long tube headers that fit in the stock doghouse. These were originally designed by the late great Eugene Phillips.
    Donn
    Donn

Number of posts : 692
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by Donn Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:18 pm

Used shorty's on mine..you should not really have a problem, floor wise, as you more then likely will have to cut the floor anyway.
    Hellfish

Number of posts : 146
    Registration date : 2011-03-01

Post by Hellfish Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:47 am

I could have sworn Sean told me he used Mustang headers, but I must have misunderstood.

Anyway, here's my '65 and how much I had to cut to clear the 80s Mustang shorty headers.

Header installs on early econolines Misc009
    EconoUSAparts
    EconoUSAparts

Number of posts : 2198
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by EconoUSAparts Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:27 pm

I called Sean to verify and they are as I said, custom made, nothing Mustang about them. He is currently going thru a financial crisis and doesn't have the cash to put out to make any at this time. He hopes to make more once he gets thru his current situation. I have 2 sets myself made by Eugene and Sean says what he sells now is off the same jigs and identical to what Eugene sold.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:14 pm

alright attempt number 3 is the charm Smile
    Thanks guys i appreciate the feed back.
    I'm glad i signed up for this forum.

My floor was cut by the previous owner to fit the stock 4.3 motor. I pulled it and rebuilt it to be different from the v8's. I'm gonna attach a picture of my clearance.
    Can you give me a measurement from the head to the floor opening on yours?

Thanks Again Puzzled Header installs on early econolines Header12

Post by Guest Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Just ordered a set of long tube Hedman's 69400's.
    I will have them modified if need be.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:36 am

My long tube cliffords hit my motor mount on my 240 cheaper to have them modified or buy shorties?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:49 pm