VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Brake Pedal Alignment?

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Brake Pedal Alignment? Empty Brake Pedal Alignment?

Post by Scott Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:05 am

Where the brake pedal dives through the floor on my 68 it doesn’t align with the hole. When I removed it I noticed the old rubber donut was ripped, and the hole was oblong. I fabricated a new donut, but now the pedal rod catches because of it.

Is there a way to adjust / realign the rod placement?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Brake Pedal Alignment? Empty Re: Brake Pedal Alignment?

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:23 am

Are you saying the push rod that goes into the master cylinder is sticking? If the pedal has worn the floor away or hits, its because it came loose from the arm or was installed in the wrong position,,,,it is serrated and tapered and can be hard to get it tightened down straight so it does not rub.

Brake Pedal Alignment? Repair70
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:43 am

The pedal shaft is wearing the floor away, or at this point the flat rubber piece in the floor. Even with the pedal removed the pivit arm that the pedal bolts into is off center. I don’t believe that turning the pedal will fix the problem, but I’m willing to try anything. I’ll give it a try tonight, maybe pop some pictures.

It doesn’t look like there’s a way to adjust the pivot arm that the pedal bolts into..
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:16 am

Do you have that rubber bumper that stops the arm from hitting the floor on there? Is there any play in the arm where the shaft goes through the end of it. Does it look like there was any trauma in that area. That stuff is pretty tough,,,,,I don't see much of a chance that anything got bent. I know if I don't get that pedal in right, if it is twisted a little, it will scrape the hole in the floor and also if the rubber bumper is not installed, it lets the arm come up out of its normal arc of travel.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:32 pm

I just took my pedals all apart and I'm thinking it's the nature of the beast to wear that rubber washer out off center. Clutch and brake on mine were very worn. It might make sense to undersize the O.D of the washer to let it float around more , I might try that myself now that Im thinkin about it.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Sorry, after posting this I got sick, then had to fly out of town..

Once I find that camera again I'll post some pics..
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:21 am

Looking from the inside without the pedal in yet.

Brake Pedal Alignment? Dsc04610

You can see here that with the pedal in it pulls tight against the rubber seal.

Brake Pedal Alignment? Dsc04611

Here is the old rubber seal next to the replacement one I made from a Rubbermaid pad that goes in the kitchen sink. The sliver was cut off to make it fit with the offset.

Brake Pedal Alignment? Dsc04612

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to remove the arm and tweak it, or live with it. If the pedal drops to far the shaft rubs against the floor.

Everything is tight, I dont feel any play in the pivot arm, and nothing looks damaged.
    Scott
    Scott

Post by Scott Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:02 pm

Today I was able to fix the alignment of the pivot arm using a propane torch and a 5lb hammer. I removed the pivot arm and mounted it in my vice with the propane torch pointed at the thinnest part. After it had gotten good and hot, about twenty minutes, I pulled it from the vice and pounded on it about ten times to get the bend I needed.

I wasn’t much on pictures today, but its back together and no longer rubs the floor.

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 9:22 pm