VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

2 posters

pops out of third

thatcherworks
    thatcherworks

Number of posts : 102
    Registration date : 2012-07-14

pops out of third Empty pops out of third

Post by thatcherworks Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:54 pm

so im pretty new to the 3 on the tree. iv been having some issues with popping out of third when i am upshifting to it. it will stay if i re try the gear. bit of a grinding noise too when that happens. i replaced the bushing at the column but it still happens. is the gear worn? my vw would do this too in 4th and i would just bungee it in place. am i shifting too early? tranny need gear oil? any advice would be appreciated thanks!
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12245
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

pops out of third Empty Re: pops out of third

Post by donivan65 Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:15 pm

1st of all a vehicle should not be driven if you do not know the fluid level in the differential, transmission, engine, radiator and master cylinder,,,,,as for it jumping out of gear, see if the levers on the transmission actually lock in each gear as you move them, there are detents in the transmission cover that hold the transmission in each gear, the levers should not fall back down into neutral once you move them forward or backwards,,,,,another thing, check the transmission mount,,,,if it is worn out, the transmission will move and the rods will pull the transmission out of gear when you accelerate,,,,,

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 9:20 am