VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Shifty Shifting

Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Shifty Shifting Empty Shifty Shifting

Post by Scott Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:55 pm

Because of the heat I didn't drive the Van for about two weeks. When I hopped in for a short run it died twice backing out of the garage. Popping the lid I found gas squirting from one of the carburetor chimneys. It's a Holley, so I popped the side off and fixed the stuck float on that side.

Now the engine is running good again, but it won't shift right. It's running a 200-4r transmission, and usually doesn't shift up to 2nd unless I rev it up a little high. And then slowing down it won't drop from 2nd to 1st. When driving in 3rd, or overdrive, and I punch it, it doesn't kick-down like it should.

I checked the transmission fluid level, it was on the low mark when it was cold, so I added some, but I've never seen a leak.

I'm going to go ahead and put a new filter in it, as I was planing to anyway. I'll also recheck the TV Cable adjustment.

Any ideas on what may be causing this will be appreciated.
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Shifty Shifting Empty Re: Shifty Shifting

Post by diamond dave Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:16 pm

my best guess would be to check the tv cable. especially if you were just tinkering with the carb. they are very moody, and can cause all kinds of headaches when they get out of adjustment.
    HandiVanMan
    HandiVanMan

Number of posts : 1868
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by HandiVanMan Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Maybe something got unhooked when you was working on the carburetor. Check the vacuum hose going to the trans from the carb & make sure it connected & there's no rotted rubber lines. If the fluid & filter has not been changed in a while it wouldn't hurt to change it.
    Scott
    Scott

Number of posts : 1651
    Registration date : 2008-05-20

Post by Scott Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:15 am

I crawled under it this weekend and readjusted the throttle and kick-down cable.

As soon as I started having problems my first thought was having to replace that transmission. Really just want to drive it for a little while without any major expense. So it being a simple adjustment was pretty cool.

Thanks for the ideas..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 2:32 pm