VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

carb. issue ?

carb. issue ? Empty carb. issue ?

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:38 pm

i have a mid to late 70's 200 ci. engine with a 68 YF carter carb on a c-4 greendot auto trans.. i was trying to tinker around on it "bad idea already". adjust carb., timing etc... it was running ok, now its running rougher. hard to start. i can keep it at idle, but restarting sucks. i dont know exactly what i messed up, but i noticed that when i was turning the air-fuel mixture, nothing was happening. when i turned the dist. or idle screw i definitely noticed a change in the engine performance. is something maybe so far outta wack that the carb. is not responding. sure hope i didnt "break" something in the carb.

jeff
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

carb. issue ? Empty Re: carb. issue ?

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 pm

If by turning in the mixture screw, the engine won't die,,,,,,you have a problem,,,,,I would turn the mixture screw in all the way,,,,back it out about 1 1/2 turns and try and get it to idle about 600 RPM with the idle RPM screw,,,,,and then get some carburetor cleaner and give it a shot down the throat with the air cleaner off,,,,if the engine gets happier, keep shooting the outside of the carburetor, then all over the intake manifold,,,,if the engine speeds up, that means it is sucking air from whatever spot you hit with the spray,,,,,so see if that test does anything for you,,,,,

Post by Guest Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:20 pm

if by turning the mixture screw and the engine will not die, any idea what that problem is? its a brand new carb..i bought it from a co. in california who rebuilt it. my new engine with that carb. doesnt even have 50 miles total on it. maybe something broken inside or the needle messed up? i took it for a spin tonight and it ran ok so we will see.
    jeff in oregon
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:49 pm

That is the idle circuit,,,,,if you cant shut off the gas and it still runs, you are pulling in gas from the high speed circuit,,,,,could be plugged up or wrong gasket on it,,,,you would have to have the throttle plate open to get the gas to come in, look down the carb with the engine off.... see if the throttle plate is closed,,,,,do you have an automatic choke on it? You could take the carb off and see if the throttle plate is closed and closing right,,,,,you could have the points and timing so far off that you have to crank the idle up for it to run and that is bypassing the idle circuit,,,,did you disconnect the vacuum advance when you set the timing?,,,,do you have the timing set right?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:16 pm