VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

5 posters

timing question

timing question Empty timing question

Post by Guest Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:15 am

hey to everybody,specialy the newbies, big welcome to VV,

i have a little problem to time my engine, my mark on the front pulley doesnt reach the mark on the tab, even at maximum rotation(clockwise) of the distributor, i still have the point distributor,the electronic one is in the box Rolling Eyes , but still too busy to install it, is it because the points is badly ajusted? the engine run nicely(700 idling) but the exhaust sounds uneven i would say,timing question Van_et10

and i think i have also a bad depression advance, anyone knows how to test this thing, i pinch the hose going to the distributor and there's no diference in the engine rpm,pull it off the carb, no difference, .....any input will be apreciated

i've been busy doing my camper conversion lately,turn out nice and will post some picts next..thanks...corrosive
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

timing question Empty Re: timing question

Post by Stoopid john Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:07 am

That's a slant6 right?

If it is, the first thing you need to do is bring the #1 cyl on top dead center. I used a coat hanger wire in the plug hole and turned the engine by hand until the piston was at it's highest point. Look to see where the make is on the balancer. I've had 3 different slants in the last year and all 3 had spun balancers (if it's spun you'll never get it right) Once you have the piston to the top, make your own mark on the balancer and time it off that mark.

If you go through that you might as well install the elec dist. I did the HEI swap on mine also, that is really the way to go. Mine had the elec dist in it when i bought the van and the HEI was much better, so i would think the points need to go!!

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:17 am

Well, some of the answer is, you need to be on #1 spark plug wire to time the engine,,,,,and the balancer needs to match the engine,,,,not all balancers have the timing mark in the same place,,,,,you need to put # 1 cylinder all the way up by like sticking a straw down in there through the spark plug hole and then see if the timing marks say 0 or TDC on the front,,,,if you got an adjustable timing light, you need to set the dial to 0,,,,,and you need an adjustable timing light to test the centrifugal and vacuum advances in the distributor,,,,you start the engine, pull off the vacuum hose,,,see what the timing number is,,,,,,raise the engine RPMs, the numbers should get higher,,,,,dial the timing light down to the initial number and read how many degrees the centrifugal raised the timing,,,,,then put the vacuum line back on and do the same test,,,,,so it goes something like this,,,you start out at like 6,,,,centrifigal adds maybe 12 more,,,then vacuum adds another maybe 12 degrees if everything is working right,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:33 am

after the vacation the points will go, thats for shur,

i think that the balancer is not the original one, will do as you guys said for finding real tdc, and for the vacum advance is that the only way of testing it with an adjustable timing ligh?
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:48 am

Everyone her is giving great advice!! I will add= when locating TDC of #1 Piston -if you are going to mark/remark the crank dampner?? make sure you take into effect the amount of Degrees that the piston will stay up at TDC!! Then split the difference and thats your true TDC mark. Best done with the proper TDC location tools. Ill also add =if the tdc mark doesnt come up to the same place on your present dampner??? its bad & you should get another anyway.Happy Vannin. The current distributor also isnt in the proper place ( spark plug wires) as it should allow enougn space for proper movement to adjust . Just drop in the electronic .Go from there .

Post by Guest Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:41 am

i just located the tdc, and the mark on the balancer looks ok, here's a picttiming question Van_et11, but the distributor is i thing wrong, no play to ajust, should i remove it and replace it?? how come i have tree marks on my balancer??this one looks the right tdc,but look like the rotor just passed the # 1 pistontiming question Van_et12 ....timing question Van_et13 the green tape is the #1 piston...just love your avatar twinpilote..
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:31 pm

The thing the guys are saying is that the mark on the pulley is probably lying to you,,,,,that magnetic pick up probe is from a newer engine, so at least the timing cover and probably the engine , is newer than the van,,,,is the pulley from a newer engine? You need to start at the beginning,,,,,get #1 to the top of of the cylinder by feeling it through the spark plug hole,,,,THEN,,,,,the notch in the pulley should be real close to 0 or TDC,,,if it aint, you got a pulley problem,,,,,

Post by Guest Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:17 pm

yes the engine is newer (1979 super six), i did found the tdc, but i removed the distributor and turn the rotor counterclockwise to engage into a diferent teeth so i could have more play to ajust, after a few try to start it started and when i went for timing the mark was in the range to be ajusted, now it does run nice and i had to reduce the idle,but it doesnt look natural, mayby i should have take another teeth, i'll see if the vac advance works properly anyway cant do nothing right now going on a trip tomrrow..here a pict timing question Van_et14..i'll bring the electronic distrbutor with me (nevr know)...thanks
    Stoopid john
    Stoopid john

Number of posts : 265
    Registration date : 2011-06-03

Post by Stoopid john Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Here is a crappy picture of my old engine, it was a '78 and you can see the advance is close to the same spot.

timing question Normal_100_1604

As long as you know where the mark is on the balancer and it lines up with the timing tab, with the piston on top you'll be fine.

I have my timing set at 30* total advanced. It doesn't matter where the vac advance is located, it could be near the fuel pump or near the oil filter, 30* is 30*. You can move the wires on the cap or move the dist a tooth but it ends up the same.

RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Dist is fine where it is.
    To test vacuum advance, remove the hose from the intake side, not the dist. side. Find a manifold vacuum source. This means at idle you have vacuum. Start the engine and check the timing. Write down what it is and what the RPM is. Connect the vacuum advance hose to the manifold vacuum source. The idle speed should go up and the timing should advance. If it doesn't, the advance unit is bad.

timing question Slant_six_firing_order
    Gothboy
    Gothboy

Number of posts : 714
    Registration date : 2012-07-02

Post by Gothboy Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:05 am

Sounds and looks like you're on the right track amigo. If you're still running a points Dist, consider atleast checking the dwell while you're already in there. Have a fun safe trip! -GothY-

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:57 am