VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

3 posters

Finally, My Take on a HF Bead Roller

cl350rr
    cl350rr

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2011-07-31

Finally, My Take on a HF Bead Roller Empty Finally, My Take on a HF Bead Roller

Post by cl350rr Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:57 pm

I bought a Harbor Freight bead roller last summer so I could fab some floor panels for the Econoline. Of course, it is mostly a paper weight as it comes out of the box with a frame that is too flexible to put any pressure on the dies and shafts that are turned off center. it took me a while to decide how I wanted to build it but I arrived at the following:

It must be
    1. cheap
    2. readily available parts for years to come
    3. able to do the job
    4. look like it was planned
    5. break down for storage.

the motor is a ford ww motor and gearbox, the drive chain is from a 69 Ossa Pioneer (from my Bultaco junque box) the frame is reinforced with 2x2 channel and the post is 2x2 galvanized with an oak core. total investment so far is about $140. all that is left is a power supply/footpedal which I have most of the parts for.

I tested it today with a 6 amp battery charger and it works pretty well. a larger power supply will help considerably Very Happy

the color is going to change, that is what I had handy to keep rust at bay

Finally, My Take on a HF Bead Roller Dsc07810

Finally, My Take on a HF Bead Roller Dsc07811

Finally, My Take on a HF Bead Roller Empty Re: Finally, My Take on a HF Bead Roller

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Looks nice. Did you add to the 1/4"? plate or build the whole shabang?

Joel
    cl350rr
    cl350rr

Number of posts : 287
    Registration date : 2011-07-31

Finally, My Take on a HF Bead Roller Empty Re: Finally, My Take on a HF Bead Roller

Post by cl350rr Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks Joel, that is the original plate, it is 3/8" thick. without added support it would flex to the side when any serious pressure was put on the rollers.

I reinforced the side with some angle to stop the flex.

try to look past the goober welds, I was having a bad weld day when I did the frame Rolling Eyes

Finally, My Take on a HF Bead Roller Dsc07812

Post by Guest Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Ah it looks fine. Every once in a while my welder just doesn't feel like it either. Laughing
    Great fix though for an under-engieered tool!!

Joel
    Big W
    Big W

Number of posts : 3282
    Registration date : 2011-01-13

Post by Big W Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:32 pm

That looks great. Nothing wrong with that welding either.
    Digz
    Digz

Number of posts : 3794
    Registration date : 2008-05-17

Post by Digz Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Really does look like turned out well!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 06, 2024 7:32 pm