VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+3
jkr
NipRing
westcoastvanner
7 posters

Dog house cover piston...

westcoastvanner
    westcoastvanner

Number of posts : 1686
    Registration date : 2008-10-04

Dog house cover piston... Empty Dog house cover piston...

Post by westcoastvanner Sun May 20, 2012 6:45 pm

I have located a photo, which shows a piston that lifts/opens the dog house cover. Has anyone tried this idea and if so, how did it work out? Also, what make and year piston did you use and how did you mount it?

Dog house cover piston... Dog_ho10

See the piston at the top center of this photo.

NipRing
    NipRing

Number of posts : 336
    Registration date : 2011-08-14

Dog house cover piston... Empty Re: Dog house cover piston...

Post by NipRing Sun May 20, 2012 7:38 pm

I havent tried it yet, but i have been thinking about it lately. A gas strut from the junk yard maybe?
    jkr
    jkr

Number of posts : 1148
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

Post by jkr Mon May 21, 2012 3:53 am

westcoastvanner wrote:I have located a photo, which shows a piston that lifts/opens the dog house cover. Has anyone tried this idea and if so, how did it work out? Also, what make and year piston did you use and how did you mount it?

Dog house cover piston... Dog_ho10

See the piston at the top center of this photo.

i look at that picture and all i see is someone who is operating a potential fireball. if you look at the front corner of the valve cover you see either a glass or plastic fuel filter vibrating against the engine just above the hot exhaust. believe me folks i am no expert but anyone who uses that type of filter setup is asking for trouble. so many hot rods and the like use them for show purposes i guess but i would rather go with none than that type of filter. and your rubber hoses should be as short as possible whenever used. from the pump to the carb use STEEL line and as short a piece of rubber as possible. the engine vibrations are one thing and the fuel pump pulses are another. if one person heeds this advice it's worth it. just my 2 cents worth.
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Mon May 21, 2012 6:30 am

jkr, I second that! As for the strut, mounting locations are shown in the picture. you just need to find a catalog that lists open and closed lengths to select a suitable strut. Mounts should be easily found at a wrecking yard.

Post by Guest Mon May 21, 2012 7:15 am

[/quote]
    i look at that picture and all i see is someone who is operating a potential fireball. if you look at the front corner of the valve cover you see either a glass or plastic fuel filter vibrating against the engine just above the hot exhaust. believe me folks i am no expert but anyone who uses that type of filter setup is asking for trouble. so many hot rods and the like use them for show purposes i guess but i would rather go with none than that type of filter. and your rubber hoses should be as short as possible whenever used. from the pump to the carb use STEEL line and as short a piece of rubber as possible. the engine vibrations are one thing and the fuel pump pulses are another. if one person heeds this advice it's worth it.[/quote]
    Your pet peeve too! For the life of me I can't understand why people are so obtuse to do things like that, guess their to lazy to do it correctly and most of all safely.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Wed May 23, 2012 4:31 pm

The thing that comes to my mind besides the fuel filter is... what temperatures will the gas shock take before it fails and you have another potential fire hazard??

Post by Guest Thu May 24, 2012 9:13 am

67a 100 pickup wrote:The thing that comes to my mind besides the fuel filter is... what temperatures will the gas shock take before it fails and you have another potential fire hazard??

That's a very good question, unfortunatly[sp?] I don't have a answer.
    panelmanrd
    panelmanrd

Number of posts : 801
    Registration date : 2009-10-04

Post by panelmanrd Fri May 25, 2012 7:31 pm

they probably have not had the experiance of trying to
    blow out that fire using their lungs. lol
    RodStRace
    RodStRace

Number of posts : 3046
    Registration date : 2010-01-21

Post by RodStRace Sat May 26, 2012 7:48 am

I also was considering that, but they are used underhood on new cars which run at pretty high temps.

Post by Guest Sat May 26, 2012 10:45 am

As you can probably tell from my user name I am involved woth swimming pools. The blue and black hose seen here is a plastic swimming pool vacume hose by the looks of things to me. dumb. i do like the idea of the air intake though. Any ideas to what to use to do that?
    slowflapper
    slowflapper

Number of posts : 956
    Registration date : 2010-07-29

Post by slowflapper Tue May 29, 2012 7:40 am

poolbutler wrote:As you can probably tell from my user name I am involved woth swimming pools. The blue and black hose seen here is a plastic swimming pool vacume hose by the looks of things to me. dumb. i do like the idea of the air intake though. Any ideas to what to use to do that?

aluminum dryer vent from ace hardware.
    67a 100 pickup
    67a 100 pickup

Number of posts : 1319
    Registration date : 2009-01-29

Post by 67a 100 pickup Tue May 29, 2012 8:17 pm

The new cars don't have the pistons over the exhaust manifold. Suspect

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:25 am