VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

4 posters

rear pop outs?

diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

rear pop outs? Empty rear pop outs?

Post by diamond dave Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:07 pm

does anyone know of any vans having rear pop out windows? i know the falcons have the side pop outs, like early vw's. but i have yet to see ones for the rear. I would imagine that since the doors interchange, the side ones would work, but i want them to tip out at the bottoms, like mid 80's chevys.
    would love to put some in my 65 nodoor.
    thanks, dave
    scarlin
    scarlin

Number of posts : 258
    Registration date : 2012-01-25

rear pop outs? Empty Re: rear pop outs?

Post by scarlin Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Ya a no door could get warm. The side and rear doors are interchange. There's reason no open rear windows is exhaust gas. But I think Ford is off the hook now, You can put flip windows there now. You might have to do a RV for a bottom flip.

donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:12 pm

If you want flip out windows, you might want to get one of those like 84 GMC Vandura ones,,,,,just get the frame,,,,it comes apart easy and you just need the frame anyways,,,,use a Ford door glass and cut the frame to fit,,,,,it has a long hinge on the top and a flip out handle on the bottom,,,,the sides are easy to make, just cut a hunk out and screw it back together,,,you need to drill out the rivets on the hinge and cut it to fit,,,,the hardest part is cutting a hunk out of the top and bottom,,,you kind of need to solder or weld it back together,,,I did this one for my Chevy Van,,,,

rear pop outs? Red_0310

rear pop outs? Vanz1210
    Twinpilot001
    Twinpilot001

Number of posts : 6186
    Registration date : 2009-09-28

Post by Twinpilot001 Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:19 pm

Ok really sounds good -yet what year & type ford door glass?? Thanx

Post by Guest Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:57 pm

bottom flip rear windows sound good to me too, was wondering what is an "RV" conversion mentioned above?
    and with the cut down window frame, what seal would you use on the ford E van?
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:46 pm

For the glass, you are converting the glass in the door to flip out,,,,,the door has to be made for a glass,,,,you don't want to be cutting a hole in a solid panel door,,,,you will give the people here a heart attack,,,,those are BIG MONEY doors,,,,and the glass needs to fit IN the door not ON it,,,I use Dodge Caravan/ Plymouth Voyager sliding side door gaskets,,,like $4 at Pik a Part,,,,

rear pop outs? Repai263

rear pop outs? Repai264
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:07 pm

There are 2 sizes of glass on doors,,,,stationary and pop out,,,the stationary is smaller by 1/2" on both sides to fit INSIDE the body,,,,the Pop outs are larger to fit ON the body,,,,,but if you are inventing a slide out,,,,make it fit the glass you are using,,,,I took the glass out of a rusted Pop out frame and cut that 80's frame down to fit the glass then used some self tapping metal screws to mount the hinge to the top and the handle on the bottom
    diamond dave
    diamond dave

Number of posts : 565
    Registration date : 2012-04-24

Post by diamond dave Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:28 am

thanks alot. i will definetly be on the look out for those van windows. all the ones i found yesterday were the ones that had the bottom latch mounting through a hole in the glass itself. i guess i could make a bracket off the bottom of the frame to remount the bracket.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:44 am