VintAGE-Vans

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER.... A's, G's & E's

+4
itruns
sonnygable
DanTheVanMan
donivan65
8 posters

Getting ready to travel

G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Number of posts : 30743
    Registration date : 2008-05-06

Getting ready to travel - Page 2 Empty Re: Getting ready to travel

Post by G-Man Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:15 pm

Most guys here don't deal with something that new. That V6 should move your van right along & I'm pretty sure the V6 has the same mounts as the V8

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:17 pm

Yes it does. Thats another reason why I chose it. The 4.3l Chevy is also known as the 3/4 V8 since its the same block but with the 3 and 6 cylinders cut off, if I remember correctly.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:20 pm

Oh and also. Its a TBI V6, not one of the newer vortec ones.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:53 am

If I remember right the 4.3 has the same bore/stroke as a 350.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:58 am

I have the van out of storage now and have been checking things out and working on it.

donivan65 I explained that brake light problem wrong. What happens is when the headlights are on the brake light on the dash comes on, normally it is off.

I replaced the thermostat cause it would get too hot when it would idle. Now it sits at about 175ish when idling. I still think its running too hot when slowing down from highway speeds. It moves up to about 200 degrees. Is that normal or should I try a different temp Tstat? The one I put in came from the previous owner and I didnt see a temp rating on it. My van doesnt have a fan shroud installed but I have one. I was trying to put it in and it didnt seem to fit. I will upload a picture of the front area of the doghouse later and maybe someone can tell me why, or maybe its just supposed to be really tight.

I found out I do have the sway bar on the front. Mine must have been like a fully optioned van or something. It has all the bells and whistles besides the V8 from what I can tell. Even that slide out step at the rear side doors. Works good still too.

The front end needs some definite tightening up. There is a lot of play in the steering wheel and it doesnt point straight when I am going straight. Potholes also seem to redirect the tires quite easily as well. That and the two electrical gremlins is what I will be working on.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:17 pm

Well I was just going through some radiator stuff and I have come to the conclusion that my van either did come with a V8 or somebody put the V8 radiator in it. I was wondering that since I didnt see a cap on top.... I have a surge tank thats not installed so maybe thats why the van still runs hot. Not enough fluid. If I could be instructed on how to install it with maybe some pictures or whatever that would be great.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Number of posts : 12220
    Registration date : 2008-05-12

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:50 pm

So do you have this crossflow radiator that has no radiator cap on it? the surge tank has 2 hoses and a radiator cap on it,,,,,,the big hose goes down to keep the radiator filled, while the little one goes back to the thermostat housing or a fitting in the upper radiator hose to bleed off the trapped air......

Getting ready to travel - Page 2 4_row113

Post by Guest Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:42 pm

Its definetly a crossflow but I dont have a surge tank on it. I thought my fluid level was low when I changed the T-stat and hardly any fluid came out.

Getting ready to travel - Page 2 Van_ra10

How custom does that look in there? Cause as I said I couldnt get the shroud I have to fit. Or did the crossflow not use one?

Also if you could give me pictures or instructions or anything on how to correctly install my surge tank in there I would be very appreciative. Thanks for the help so far.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:34 pm

Isnt that a radiator cap stuck under the passenger seat bump out? A REAL 2nd Gen crossflow radiator has no radiator cap, just a heater hose type fitting in the upper right inside corner for the surge tank to fill it up. I think you might might have a pick up truck radiator in there if it has a radiator cap on the passenger side ,,,,,,,,these are the real 6 and 8 cylinder 2nd Gen radiators,,,,,,So how how are you checking/adding coolant?????

Getting ready to travel - Page 2 Tanda_10
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:07 pm

You may be low because of trapped air stopping your fill that surge tank puts the fill higher than the engine. This may fix the problem
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Inline-Fabricated-Filler-Neck-15-Hose,6573.html
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:14 pm

Well that's surely the wrong radiator in there... Your thermostat is higher than the radiator so air cannot be bleed from the system(that's what the surge tank is for). And you cant hook up a surge tank to that radiator. Your best bet is to find one like donivan's pic of the downflow radiator. Or cheat like I did...
    Getting ready to travel - Page 2 Radtop11
    This brings the radiator cap above the radiator to bleed off air. The radiator has a high psi cap and the thermostat housing has a lower psi cap.
    Basically... your radiator cap has to be the highest point of the cooling system...That's where the air goes and gets bleed off.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:53 pm

Ah, that is correct. I wonder what mine is then. Here is a picture of the cap area:

Getting ready to travel - Page 2 Radiat10

The cap says do not open on it. I tried filling it through there once. The fluid seemed low, that could be why the van seems to be running warmer than it should even without the shroud. Is that also the reason that the shroud wont fit?

Well I will definetly look into the options you guys have given me. Although I wont be running this engine for a whole lot longer so its not going to be a huge deal. I just wanted to retaine driveability while it wasnt taken apart.
    G-Man
    G-Man
    Mayor
    Mayor

Post by G-Man Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:08 pm

My guess someone replaced the stock radiator when it went bad and went with what they could find not knowing that the surge tank is important. I bet the stock shroud wouldn't fit that radiator and they chucked it. Summit has some aftermarket shrouds that should work and they look nice too.
    Nightmoves
    Nightmoves

Number of posts : 2214
    Registration date : 2008-11-17

Getting ready to travel - Page 2 Empty add pic

Post by Nightmoves Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:25 pm

Speaking of shrouds,anybody got a pic in or out of a L6 shroud and how they fit? Neither of mine have one.All I have is a belly pan on my 2nd gen.
    Could one of these be cut to fit?
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Fan-Shrouds-by-Walker,1333.html
    Just wondering.
    Nevermind...found pic,courtesey of oo3 archives
    Getting ready to travel - Page 2 6shrou10
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:49 pm

That whole system is fake and wrong,,,,,,That radiator don't belong in there. Like the guys told you, the radiator cap has to be higher than the upper radiator hose. For every ounce of coolant you pour in the radiator, an ounce of air in there has to be pushed out and not trapped in there. right now you fill the radiator and the air in the upper hose has no where to go,,,,and probably the heater core also. I would say, on that system, the best you could do is take that broken sending unit out of the thermostat, slowly fill the radiator to the brim, put the cap on, then pump coolant into the overflow nipple by the radiator cap untill it runs out that open hole in the thermostat housing. You need like a squeeze bottle or air pressure to force coolant back into the overflow connection until it pushes the air out of the upper hose and out that sending unit on top. I would also take the thermostat out and fill the radiator up, then put the radiator cap back on, and the thermostat and housing back on, then take the sending unit out and pump the coolant in until it runs out. I don't know if this will get all the air out, but thats the best deal you got unless you get rid of that pick up truck radiator. That one looks like the world famous cheap Chevy Van radiator they sell on the web that ain't right!!!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:00 pm

Thanks so much for the info donivan. I was able to fill it all the way. I opened up that sending unit and hooked up one of those fuel primer pumps that boats use to the overflow nipple to pump coolant into it till it came out the top. Got it filled up and started driving around. The van never got over 190 degrees.

Something bad came out of it though. Apparently I have a bad water pump or a bad gasket somewhere or something because the front of the engine was leaking quite a bit when I parked it in the driveway running. I cant imagine that it was leaking that much when I was actually driving it because it still never got hotter than 190 even after watching it leak so much. Its an annoyance but since I am going to replace that engine anyways I dont think I am going to put too much effort into fixing it. I just wont go on long trips and will make sure to keep it topped off.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:06 pm

I guess you could get ambitious and get under the van and look up past the alternator and see where the leak is,,,,,you can see if the water pump is leaking out of its vent hole behind the pulley. You got 2 radiator and heater hose clamps that could be loose as well as the thermostat and lower housing have gaskets or could have loose bolts.

Post by Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:10 pm

It isnt the Thermostat. Its lower than that and I was checking it as it was running. It looked like it was leaking from everywhere. I dont know if thats cause the fan sprayed it all over or if its cause it really is. It was very hard to pinpoint where it was coming from since everything had already gotten wet. When the engine was off it was dripping off that lowest pully.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:16 pm

You can go back to your friend the overflow tube, put a hose on it and use something to put a few pounds of air into it,,,,,that will pressurize the cooling system and make the leak appear ......
    mo_1040
    mo_1040

Number of posts : 645
    Registration date : 2008-07-04

Post by mo_1040 Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:18 pm

It doesn't look like you have an overflow container hooked up to your radiator... maybe your rad pressure cap opened up and sprayed antifreeze all over(now that you actually had it full). As your coolant heats up it expands and needs a place to go. Then as it cools it sucks coolant back in. Just a wild guess but I would check out...

Post by Guest Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:28 pm

No, thats not it. The radiator cap is a ways away from where all the wetness was. Also I left the hose I used during filling connected to the overflow nipple on the radiator and positioned it in front of the radiator. So it couldnt have come from the overflow hose either.
    donivan65
    donivan65
    Governor
    Governor

Post by donivan65 Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:14 pm

,,,,,,,,,but that was a good idea,,,,,,,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content